Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
MR
Level 11

These Boards as a Barometer of what is going on

As I read these boards, the negative comments and level of dissatisfaction expressed by the pros is overwhelmingly greater than any positive statements I read.  

I do not know exactly why TT created these boards, but I doubt it was to be told on a near hourly basis as to how bad the service is in the eyes of the pro. But I am sure it was to get feedback nonetheless. And feedback they are receiving!

Although the actual number of pros posting here is small in comparison, I urge TT to not use that as a barometer to just how big the issue is. Perhaps a better barometer is the comparison of number of pro-genereated positive comments vs the pro-generated negative comments. In that scenerio, it is clear that the sentiment is decidedly negative and work must be done. 

In addition, the customers have no way to voice their concerns. Could a board for the customer side be created? It may be very revealing to what is going on there.

Also, I urge leadership to think about their employees more than just providing an onsite chef, food daily and other quite superficial perks in the grand scheme of things. The moderators on this board are in a very difficult place - they have to try to keep up with the never ending negative comments that sometimes become unfairly personal. This is just not fair to these people. Leadership - YOU need to be here real-time... not just ghost written responses in the middle of the night followed by no response or followup. YOU need to take the concerns and respond near realtime. It is time for YOU to step up and be visible.

MarcoZ's last log in to this board was last Tuesday. (see below graphic) Today is Sunday. But I doubt that is really MarcoZ - and when I tried to send him a DM to thank him for his participation, messages to him were blocked. Not good.

I dont know how much longer the pros here that are posting will contunue to do so.. I don't know how much longer they will care to waste their days and nights giving comments that are basically going unacknowledged. But do know, when they are gone, so likely will be the business... because I am not confident that the current model can be sustained amongst the competition. They are on these boards, I guarantee it - and they are being given sound advice on how to not run this kind of business. You are giving them a strong competitive advantage with every negative post that is made.

Thank you. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 12.12.57 PM.png

7 responses
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Re: These Boards as a Barometer of what is going on

Hi @MR thank you for your many well-thought-out posts. We appreciate your continued participation in this forum.

Thumbtack created this forum for pros in every industry, anywhere in the country, to come together to offer up information and inspiration to help each other build successful businesses. We also want this forum to be a place where pros can connect with Thumbtack - to celebrate successes, get product updates, share tips, give us feedback, and more. And we understand that part of building successful businesses together is addressing what is not working.

I agree with you, that this forum should not be used as a barometer for Thumbtack as a whole. However, while we are headed in the right direction, we understand that Thumbtack currently isn't working for some pros, and we know there is a lot to be done. This forum is incredibly valuable to us. We are your partners, and we want you to know that we are hearing you and that we are doing what we can to take your feedback and make Thumbtack better.

I assure you that our team here in the online community is well-supported within Thumbtack. @Meckell and @Kameron are unsung heroes in my book - as they are on the front lines here every day - helping pros, addressing concerns, and logging feedback. They also play a pivotal role in bringing what they hear to Thumbtack leadership. And that leadership, including Marco Z, is there to hear it. While it would be nice for our pros to have the ability to DM our CEO, there just isn't time. But he hears this feedback, he is passionate about our pros and about their success, and his time is spent charting the course forward.

Our hope is that our pros will continue to post here. Continue to support and connect with one another. And continue to partner with Thumbtack. Our hope is also that you won't confuse us taking time to properly address concerns, as us not listening to you.

I love the suggestion to have a Customer Community - maybe some time down the road. But for now, we are focused on getting Thumbtack right for our pros.

Thank you!

Lar
Level 10

Great post @MR,

@DustiO, since the release of the new system 6+ months ago are you personally aware of any changes Thumbtack have made to the system that were specifically intended to improve lead quality? If so, what were those changes and how effective do you feel those changes were to improving lead quality?

Regards,
Laurence.

Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@Lar Yes! Last month we introduced improved targeting and a new way for pros to request refunds for leads - to help ensure that our pros are getting matched with the right jobs. A few months back we listened to pro feedback about changes made to the customer request flow, and we addressed that. 

Keep watch in the coming months for some other changes. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 10

Thanks Dusti, none of those things improved my lead quality.

The online refund feature is a welcome addition. Although it doesn't directly improve the quality of the leads, retroactively it should provide a better process for requesting a refund when Thumbtack charges me for an unsuitable lead.

The other things in the links you provided have had no affect on the quality of my leads. Sorry.

On occasion I am still being sent inappropriate leads because the 'estimate' Thumbtack is providing those leads is so far below what I would normally quote them that I don't have a reasonable expection of being hired.

If Thumbtack is estimating that my fee for a job is $250 but my fee for that job is going to closer to $900 then it is very likely that my fee is not going to be within the lead's budget. The pricing preferences I am able to specify in Thumbtack are so woefully inadequate it is impossible for Thumbtack to provide an accurate quote to some of my leads. I can't even specify an hourly rate or travel expenses for non-local jobs - that's pretty basic stuff and I can't do that in Thumbtack because you don't have pricing options for that. I reported this over a year ago when Instant Match came online.

Let me put it this way Dusti. I'm not going to do a four hour gig in Orlando that is two hours drive away for $250. I'm still getting gigs like that so your improved targetting hasn't improved things for me. Sorry.

Regards,
Laurence.

MR
Level 11

@DustiO Thank you very much for this response and the information shared. It is very much appreciated.

Highlighted
ErrorUnknown
Level 5

I've been in the IT contracting world through websites like TT for 8 years now. The negative posts come with the territory. I have been very successful utilizing the tools, even if they are limited, to do what everyone will tell you is impossible. Run a business making over $100k a year, 4 years in a row now, with 90% of that revenue coming from 3 or 4 different job posting websites.

Step one is don't go to the forums/groups/community. If someone asks for help they usually get yelled at and told they are stupid. I posted once in the OnForce forums many years ago... The first response was go buy a book. That sums it up right there. The community in this world exists to and be better than you if you need help.

I know dozens of other professionals, real pros by the way, experts in they're field. As I am. That make just as much if not more than I do from the same sources. You will get out what you put in.

They're is money to be made on every platform. Some more than others. You just got to take it for what it is and run with it

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@ErrorUnkown that's awesome to hear that you've been able to do so well on different lead platforms including Thumbtack. At the same time, I'm truly sorry to hear about your experiences in other online forums and communities. That's an experience that I'm hoping we can turn around for you here in this Thumbtack Pro Community. If you ever have a question please feel free to either post it for others to respond to, or send us a direct message and we'd be happy to answer there as well. Please also know that we have our Community Guidelines in place, and part of those are there in order to help prevent users from discouraging others from posting. We realize that there are varying levels of experience and or happy to help in any way we can whether that be through answering questions, taking in feedback and ideas, or just having conversations. 

0 Kudos