Highlighted

When is a lead too strange?

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Yesterday I had an individual contact me for video production services.

He does not represent a company, he is just an individual that wants video production services to promote his technology idea.

His idea is related to aerospace technology.  His message was very cryptic.  His grammar was very poor.  There were a lot of sentence fragments.  I Googled his name and found a video on YouTube from 2013 that is very strange.  He talks about aerospace technology that doesn't seem to adhere to the laws of physics.

Personally, this is not the type of individual that I do business with.  I understand that you have a non-discrimination policy, but at what point am I the Pro protected?

Why am I paying money to be contacted by individuals like this?  Where do you draw the line? 

If an individual says they are a religious prophet and they want to make a video to share their message with the world, am I breaking the non-discrimination policy because I don't believe they are a prophet and choose not to work with them and/or ask for a refund?

When do you side with the Pros regarding strange leads from strange job posters?

replies
Highlighted

Re: When is a lead too strange?

Community Expert
Best Answer
@StoriesUpSTL
I hear ya.
I had something similar a few days ago, but it wasn't a Targeted lead. A lead came in, chose me, to DJ a church event. All good, except she wanted Rap music played at a church function. There is Christian Rap music out there, but not on preferences.
I declined because I don't"spin" regular Rap music for a church or any place of worship,(it's against my beliefs), but am I also breaking the non-discrimination policy?
Do I accept the lead, pay high lead cost only to find out it was regular Rap music to be played at a church? It's a lead that wouldn't be refunded because I would have accepted it.

DJ Stevie 3-3-2020
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@StoriesUpSTL certainly understandable that you’re searching for clarification. If you paid for a lead that you feel is within the refund policy or is suspicious then we ask you to follow the processes linked for our teams can take a look. As a general learning opportunity, pros can respectfully decline a project that they feel isn’t right for them, but not because of who the customer is: (“age, disability, gender identity, marital status, medical condition, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or other improper basis). If you haven’t already you can read the full copy of the policy here: Non-Discrimination Policy.

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Kameron 

I have read the disclosures, but need to ask..After respectfully declining a lead, and if a "customer" reports us for being discriminatory, how will Thumbtack protect us? Or are the Pros at the mercy of a "customer's" comments, as we are with bad reviews?

DJ Stevie 3-7-2020

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@DJStevie everything is handled on a case by case basis. Pros and customers can work with our Marketplace Trust and Safety team if these situations ever arise. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@Meckell 

Thanks for the info.

This came into my Opportunities Tab. Can this be considered age discrimination? Majority of DJs are in their 30s+. I took offense after reading it.  I know that it's a preference for the "customer" but they can search for DJs without writing this message. Perhaps Thumbtack should edit "customers" messages that violate discriminatory policy and/or warn them as well?

DJ Stevie 3-9-2020

disciminate.png

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@DJStevie thanks for sharing and seeking clarification around this. Please go ahead and visit the Non-Discrimination policy to report this through the section that reads "Any pro or customer who believes they have been discriminated against in violation of this policy should report their concern here.". 

Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer
I've had a few weird ones also and from business that have really bad Yelp/Google reviews as being difficult to work with. I dont know how TT would be able to screen for that.
0 Likes