results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Lar
Level 10

Re: Why did TT remove the ability to see if a quote or message had been read?

Meckell said that the reason for removing the ability to know when our messages had been viewed was...

Customers now spend their time reaching out directly to the pros who they want to work with and pay attention to those anticipated responses. Customers are no longer engaging with quotes from pros who they did not message initially. This means they might not see your custom quote messages.

Because the customer might not see those messages, we do not want you to waste your time crafting or following up on messages. We know this is a shift, but our goal is to ensure you have productive and valuable interactions with customers, and the direct requests you receive from customers are more likely to lead to that desired outcome than custom quotes.

I can't wrap my head around this at all, it's really bizarre.

Is, 'customers are no longer engaging with quotes from pros who they did not message initially' a statement of fact, if so do you have any statistics you can share with us that you used to base this conclusion on?

Think about it for a moment. Whenever you send a quote to a customer in your Jobs tab you are sending your quote to a customer who did not initially message you. If that's the case and if 'customers are no longer engaging with quotes from pros who they did not message initially' then are we more than likely just wasting our time sending quotes to customers in your Jobs tab? 

Then...

"Because the customer might not see those messages, we do not want you to waste your time crafting or following up on messages."

If that's true then when we reach out to a customer via the Jobs tab (i.e. to a customer who did not initially message us) they might not see our message/quote because as you say, 'customers are no longer engaging with quotes from pros who they did not message initially'.

If you don't want us to waste our time crafting a quote/message to a customer who did not initially message us then surely the best way to do that would be to remove the Jobs tab completely? 

Regards,
Laurence.

MR
Level 11

@Lar Honestly, I can't follow this logic at all. If you take all of the answers we have received discussing this it goes in circles with really no beginning or end... there is no strategy that I can see that has the interests of the pros in mind.

Lar
Level 10

This is the closest I've come to getting any insight into what's going on at Thumbtack.

"I only want to charge you guys for leads that are worth your time and money. If I’m sending you something and you’re looking at it saying ‘not worth my time, not worth my money’ we haven’t done our jobs right. I acknowledge that we have a challenge where there are clients who come in and never respond, never engage back, which is incredibly frustrating , and there’s the cost aspect which is certainly annoying but it’s the pain of having done the work and sent the message and then not getting anything back and having that burden completely on you. So we are working really hard right now to mitigate this problem, to avoid you having to waste your time and money on things that you have no shot of winning. That’s not how we’re trying to make our fees; that’s not what we think you should be investing your money in, so it’s something we are working very hard on."
Marco Zappacosta, Thumbtack CEO, Thursday March 21, 2019

The issues Marco mentions are not new issues; they've been present for at least as far back as 2015 which is when I joined Thumbtack. If anything the now defunct Instant Match and its successor Search/Promote have only made things worse, not better. 

Maybe Marco has the same problem we have?

Maybe he has a whole bunch of wonderful ideas, suggestions and feedback that he relays to his development team but they don't listen and they never get back to him. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Regards,
Laurence

Julius
Level 7

Spot on. The fact that remains is the longer a lead sits on line unanswered it loses it's value. Thumbtack needs response and gets paid for that response many times over expecting it's pros to be responsible and pay for TT inabilty to listen to TT pros needs. The one size fits all routine is not working. TT can't fake what it does not know but it's trying at their pros expense. Pros pay for TT growing pains. TT can only succeed when it's pros lose.
Julius
Level 7

The longer a lead sits online it loses it's value. TT needs to understand that pros are TT consumers. Now every lead that comes thru TT gets paid for more than once. The platform can be abusive to pros. Leads can write a negative review even if they have not met you, signed a contract or issue a check. Rather than asking the lead and getting proper info , it's a one size fits all. The lead does not know specifics that's why they need a pro. TT does the exact opposite of what pros should expect. It's our investment in reputations, tools insurance, time and lead fees. Leads have no skin in the game. When corporations dont have respect for our time and labor, its like letting a thief into our home. They are dangerous to anyone who believes them. It's impossible to help someone in trouble,someone that wants to make a sucker out of you or someone that does not know what they are doing and wants to be in charge.
Wjsphoto
Level 4

Wait..... so you’re saying that if I bid on a job and offer a lead a specific quote for a job that they didn’t contact me about, they may not see it?

If that’s the case, why bother even bidding if there’s a chance they may not see it?

I’m a photographer. So I bid on everything from weddings, to corporate and everything in between. Is this the reason for the lack of response? Is thumbtack potentially hiding my bids?

Please advise so I can “concentrate my efforts elsewhere “ if needed.
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@Wjsphoto if you send a customer a quote through the Jobs tab, it is definitely sent to them and they can see it. Nothing is hidden. If you ever want to see how the customer experience works first hand, I'd recommend using Thumbtack for your next project. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

0 Kudos
Wjsphoto
Level 4

Your reply. It is the 3rd response on the 1st page.

“Customers now spend their time reaching out directly to the pros who they want to work with and pay attention to those anticipated responses. Customers are no longer engaging with quotes from pros who they did not message initially. This means they might not see your custom quote messages.”

Please explain.

Removing this feature was just another way for TT to control what we do or how we can interact with potential clients.  I earned many, many jobs by following up with not-yet-viewed leads.  In other words, I was able to tailor responses to individual leads, and this practice usually got me the job.   Whatever your “research” says about wanting pros to focus on clients who are focusing on hiring, well, that research is just wrong. Many times, clients get busy and don't respond to emails. a gentle reminder can get them to respond.  That is, they would respond to emails when a *manageable* number of pros contacted them. but that's an issue for another post.

Bring back the "viewed" component. Above all the changes TT has made, that feature was most helpful.

Moderator Meckell

@mrs @Billieharasharp thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding this update. I'll be sure to pass along all of your feedback! 

0 Kudos