Highlighted

Why is Thumbtack afraid to set minimums for certain industries?

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Thumbtack needs to set minimums for certain categories:

1).  I'm sorry, but the general public needs to understand that you can't get something that normally costs $500+ for $50.

2)  If a customer manually enters in a budget less than $X for certain industries, they should get a pop up that says "I'm sorry, our professionals have a minimum of $Y that they do work for."

Here are some screen grabs from a job I saw today.  So if you get hit with this job via Promote, the absolute most you could make on it is $52.44.  Another reason I have been pushing for budgets as a filter for the Pros in Video Production.  The customer should not be allowed to enter in something other than the listed options.  If they message a pro and tell them that their budget is actually $50-$75, then the post should be removed from the platform and all contacted pros should be refunded in full.

$75.00 - $22.56 (after 20% discount) = $52.44

Videographers don't buy thousands of dollars of equipment so we can make less than minimum wage.  Jobs like this should be deleted from the site by Thumbtack immediately. 

Thumbtack $28.20.pngThumbtack $50 budget.png

0 Likes
replies
Highlighted

Re: Why is Thumbtack afraid to set minimums for certain industries?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

Thanks for starting this conversation @StoriesUpSTL! I'd love to get more specific feedback from you for your category in your area so I can send this to our Product Team. What is the minimum you would charge for a project like this?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

@Meckell Normally $1200-$1500.  This guy is in Statesville, NC.  Although I do work all over the US, I tend to not do much outside of the St. Louis area for less than $1500.  I'm not really a "slap a camera on a tripod and press record" kind of videographer.  My work is more cinematic, more story based (hence the name of the company).  My clients are usually willing to spend $2K-$5K on a video.  

If he was in St. Louis and work was slow, I'd probably do it for around $1000.  Think of it as $500 for the filming, $500 for the editing.

Checking and loading up the gear, travel time, doing the shoot, editing, including time for 2 x client revisions, should take most pros a minimum of 10 hours.  The customer probably doesn't know or understand that.  But in my professional opinion, anything below $400 for a shoot + edit is insulting, even to a 21yo right out of college with the most basic level of gear.

In general, Thumbtack seems to lack knowledge about our industry.  I mean, the fact that you have "Full-Length Movie" as an option is Exhibit A.  Has anyone ever completed a full-length movie from a hire on Thumbtack?  If so I'd like to watch that movie.  Is it on Netflix?

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
Best Answer

@StoriesUpSTL your insight is very helpful, thanks for expanding further on this. Your feedback has been passed on. If you have any other suggestions for us, please feel free to send it our way!

0 Likes