Highlighted

Add the age of the home for a Home Inspection to allow Pros to target based on age.

Community Veteran

The age of a home that is being inspected has a direct bearing on the amount of time it takes to inspect the home and write the report on that inspection. Older homes have many more non-compliant issues that must be reported. This impacts the cost of doing the inspection, and is a criteria I would want to factor into my targeting. In particular, home more than 50 years old are often unprofitable when a standard price based on square footage is the only criteria use to calculate the job cost.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Occupations (1)
replies
Highlighted

Re: Add the age of the home for a Home Inspection to allow Pros to target based on age.

Community Regular
@HansenJC,

Couldn't you adjust your quote price when the customer gets to you? I don't know your normal price structure, so please don't criticize me on this, but for example if you expect a normal job to be $300, but as you say an old house is not profitable charge a higher rate of $400 and state in your quote because of the size / age / whatever reason, here is the cost.

I have had to do it in my industry, and most times if you explain why your cost is going to be higher, they will agree.

I have learned, I don't want to fight for a customer that is is holding you to an initial quote price, or wanting to negotiate your rate down.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Add the age of the home for a Home Inspection to allow Pros to target based on age.

Community Veteran
@smcclos,
Thumbtack presents customers with price estimates based only on square footage. And very often the Job Posters on Thumbtack think that Thumbtack has all the answers. They do not.
And this part of the community is to allow us to present ideas on how Thumbtack could be improved to serve both the Job Posters and the Pros. So, I offer my suggestion.
In the past, Thumbtack asked for suggestions and has since discarded them. Now that this system is here to accept and accumulate the "ideas" we will all be able to look back and review what progress Thumbtack is making. Let's give them a chance to listen to our ideas.
John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Likes