Highlighted

Separate ranking in search results between new pros and established pros

Active Community Member
When I log out of Thumbtack and do a search within my industry I see Pros who have <2 hires and only 1 review ranked much higher than they should be...if those are two of the major factors that determine the rankings.

I understand that it's a double edged sword: On one hand you have "veteran" pros who have paid thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to Thumbtack and we feel like being ranked in the top 4 is something we have earned and that the good leads we get because of that ranking somewhat makes up for any frustrations we have had along the way.  Some of us have been on the platform for years.  So we've seen the ups and downs.

On the other hand, Thumbtack needs to acquire new customers (the new Pros) to join Thumbtack, start paying for leads, and then stay on Thumbtack.

I'm not sure what a better model would look like, but it has to be one where the job posters still can see the veteran Pros who have a proven track record listed high on the platform AND newer Pros. Maybe a "Rising Newbies" column that is separate from the main list?

When established Pros get pushed down to 6-10 on the list, there is very little chance that the Job Poster will look at their profile, even if they are the best Pro for the job.  I don't believe a system that has Pros who are brand new to Thumbtack ranked above Pros who have had 5+ hires and 3+ reviews is the best thing for any party involved.

title edited by moderator on 3/20/2020 for clarity
Occupations (1)
replies
Highlighted

Re: Separate ranking in search results between new pros and established pros

Active Community Member
I agree with everything you said, as It's been my concern as well.... I think one way to help remedy this issue would be to allow the customer to use a drop down menu where they could filter the list of Pros based on TT experience(total hires), or based on total years in business, and also number of negative reviews in the past 6 months, and finally number of 5 star reviews in past 6 months. The default would be average star rating for verified reviews.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Regular
GREAT IDEA !!!
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Newcomer
I never got into Angie’s list for this reason. As a newbie, you can’t compete with a pro who’s been on there for years! It’s like a pyramid scheme. Only pros who joined in the first 5 minutes actually succeed for years and years. Everyone else is left behind.
Adrienne Morgan
0 Likes