Introducing Proudtacks!

Thumbtack Employee
Thumbtack Employee
6 0 280

Hello Pro Community! 

My name is Albert and I work alongside my colleague Lauren to co-lead our Salt Lake City chapter of Proudtacks — an employee resource group (ERG) for LGBTQIA+ employees and allies. We’re so excited to bring insight into one of our favorite parts of working at Thumbtack!

Together, we work to help connect the LGBTQIA+ community at Thumbtack. Our mission is to create activities, content, and programming that helps members of our group network and make memories and connections with one another. We also provide support for LGBTQIA+ employees and focus on raising awareness of LGBTQIA+ history and issues. Most recently, we launched our ProudPals program to connect Proudtack employees from all Thumbtack offices via penpalling! It’s been a group effort to cultivate a culture of growth, empowerment, and inclusivity, and it’s an honor to be able to contribute to this group at Thumbtack!

My motivation to join Proudtacks is because I identify as non-binary and pansexual. My personal focus is to help bring light into communities that are less identified and underrepresented. I want people to know that they are not alone and have a family from all types of backgrounds and sub-communities. That’s the best thing about this group - there are so many great people that represent the LGBTQIA+ spectrum! Lauren’s motivation comes from a place of allyship - many of her closest friends identify as LGBTQIA+. This community has made a positive and lasting impact on her life, and she will always continue to give back! 

One of the greatest experiences Lauren and I have been a part of was an affinity dinner Proudtacks hosted for LGBTQIA+ pros in Atlanta, Georgia. We brought together 15 pros and Thumbtackers - we had wonderful conversations, shared many laughs and made great connections! We heard many amazing stories (from personal career struggles to great successes) that have continued to push us to connect our pros with each other - our goal is to empower pros in their own line of work. The energy at that dinner made such an impact!

The Proudtacks ERG has been, and continues to be, an important resource for our employees since its inception. Our focus now is to bring the same support to the online Pro Community! In upcoming posts, we will share some best practices for contributing to the LGBTQIA+ community by creating an inclusive culture within your own business! We would also love to hear your stories, suggestions and best practices. We want your voice to be heard and would like you to know that Thumbtack wants to help you and your business by promoting positive practices in the workplace and worldwide. We can’t wait to connect with you!