Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
DJStevie
Level 12

Re: Has The TT System Crashed?

@Lar 

Leads very rarely respond to me when I send quote/message from the Jobs tab. In fact, because now I receive jobs 150+ miles away, even one for the Florida Keys the other day, I don't reply to them. The response from Thumbtack "We don't know what jobs you want via the Jobs tab" but they send them anyway just in case we want to reply to them.

First they take away the customer viewed option, now I'm seeing on another thread that they are taking away our ability to follow-up on leads..I don't get it. We get told by the moderators that they want to focus more on customer interaction, but how can we interact with customers if they are slowly taking away all of our useful tools? Who makes these changes? I'm sure that Pros aren't asking for those changes. If they are, I want to see who those Pros are, or at least let them speak out in the Forum that they wanted these changes, along with the other changes that have happened. I want someone at Thumbtack to fully explain that to me, and not make mention about the 80% of customers wanted this, etc..Or Pros have asked for the changes. Those stats now are useless, and repeated all the time, yet we get to told not to be repititive in our comments. Double Standard?

Lar
Level 10

@MR said...

It is there for pshychological reasons...sort of a Pavlov's Dog thing.. While the Inbox remains empty, the Job tab gives you a poke every now and then keeping you interested to come back to the site. It provides little other actual value in my opinion. This is a common thing on social media as user engagement is a huge metric of site success. However, most social media sites don't get it quite right and actually create placebo tasks for the user to keep busy on, thus keeping the site engagement artificially busy.

That's spot on @MR, the Jobs tab is pretty much redundant.   

I've spoken to a couple of posters here who mentioned in their posts that they are receiving 'tons of leads' or 'loads of leads'. I reached out to them directly to clarify what they meant by 'leads' because I believed that they may in fact be referring to the 'jobs' on the Jobs tab rather than 'leads' in their Inbox. Turns out if I was correct there were referring to the Jobs tab and not the leads that reach out to them directly and which appear in their Inbox. Their actual 'leads' were in the single digits on the four week Insights chart.

The Jobs tab is useful to a small extent because you can get some sense of how many leads are reaching out to other Pros in your line of business who are in your local area, i.e. your local competitors.

If you're seeing lots of jobs in the Jobs tab that match your preferences and locale then the leads who created those Jobs are reaching out to your competition and not you. If that's the case then you need to figure out why by check your profile, etc.

If you're not seeing lots of jobs in your Jobs tab then that suggests that your competition are probably in the same boat as you and that lead volume is down.

There is another piece of information you can glean from the leads that you quote from the Jobs tab. Bang out those Jobs tab quotes when you can and even though you can't follow up if the lead doesn't respond you can still check back on those quotes in a couple of weeks. In the message feed for that lead at the bottom you should see a message IF the lead hired another Pro. Track how many of the lead that you quoted ended up hiring ANY Pro on Thumbtack.

You'll begin to get a clear idea of how effective Thumbtack actually is at getting Pros hired and I bet you'll discover that the percentage of leads you quoted who did hire a Pro on Thumbtack is very low, probably 10%-15%.

Having given that bit of advice I wouldn't be surprised if Thumbtack decide at some point in the future to remove the ability for us to know when a lead hires another Pro.

Regards,
Laurence.

MR
Level 11

@Lar 

Interesting on how the best advice on how to use the system doesnt come from the operator of the system Smiley Happy

Great tip.

In my case, its close to 0 in all categories. Nobody is shopping for my category on TT anymore.

Highlighted
HansenJC
Level 10

Actually.... I am unable to send ANY message with the quote. I am only allowed to send a fixed price, or a "need more information" which I have never done in the past. I do not know if this is what TT wants Pros to do when customers deserve to recieve a custom quote.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@HansenJC thank you for starting this conversation and thank you to @MR @Lar @DJStevie and @RCPS for your thoughts. I'm happy to give you all more clarification on this update. We removed the ability to follow up to previously sent custom quotes because we want you to focus your time where customers focus their time.

Customers are waiting to hear back from the pros they found in search results. If they don't hear back from their first picks, we let them know other pros (like you) are interested. And remember, you only pay when a customer gets back to you.

Following up on a quote that a customer hasn’t necessarily seen or responded to is not a good way to spend your time. This is especially true now that you only pay when a customer contacts you. The way to win on Thumbtack is to focus more on responses — that's what you pay for, and those customers have the most potential.

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Meckell 

Yet, another update that TT made without telling us before it happend. Why is TT doing this? It's another useful tool that is taken away from us. Not fair at all! So then, this change is an admittance from TT that customers do NOT spend time reading our quotes/messages, or is it that the customers never see it?

This monthly change notice by @JasonB is useless if changes occur before that thread happens. Sorry, this latest change now adds to my frustration and anger. I spend alot of time sending quotes and trying to be personable with follow up messages, which many of my customers who hired me through TT enjoy because not many in my category take that time to be personable. Please pass on my frustration to the powers to be.

Sorry, this isn't directed you personally, @Meckell , but my frustration is reaching a boiling point.

RCPS
Level 7

@Meckell Thanks for your reply. Based on my personal experience, I respectfully disagree. On the “old” platform, there were many occasions where I won business from sending follow up messages to prospects that didn’t initially respond (keeping in mind that our messages were actually fed to the prospect and not hidden like it is now). Sometimes my touch base notes were weeks or months after initial quotes were submitted. I even received positive feedback about reaching out after the fact because they felt that someone took the time to reconnect. That helped me stand out from competitors. After all, it’s a “lead” that I paid for. Why limit the possibility to do more business?

I have a question for you though. What’s the point of even having a Jobs tab if a) the messages we manually send aren’t being served up to be prospect in an apparent way b) we can’t see if they’ve viewed our quote (which is some type of indication that they may be interested) and c) we can’t even follow up after the fact to see if they have any questions.

It’s obviously clear that this a tactic to force the hands of Pros to “pay to play” by using Promote. I use Promote and have gotten a total of one lead served to me this year. ONE lead. Pushing folks to Promote can sometimes yield fewer leads, at least in my case.

I feel like TT is literally taking everything away that helped us be successful before. This is so backwards. I try to hang in with the changes and when I don’t think it could possibly get worse, it does. I’m saying this out of pure frustration. I have never been as disappointed with a company that I do with business with like this before. Again, it’s a real shame.
JenBrookman
Level 5

@RCPS I just wanted to give verbal kudos - the thumbs-up wasn't enough for that post.  For my industry, TT has destroyed the ecosystem.  

RCPS
Level 7

@jrnbrookman So sorry to hear that! Prior to relocating to the Dallas market late last summer, I was sure that TT would be an integral part of rebuilding my business in this region of the country. I had such wonderful success with it before and would have never foreseen how the platform has evolved. Thank goodness I have a strong brand and other marketing avenues that I leverage. TT was truly a great resource for me though. All I can do is shake my head.
MR
Level 11

@RCPS @JenBrookman 

In a strange way I get some comfort seeing this.  For me, business sourced thru TT has 100% died as well, as has so many others on here.

Something surely is in need of fixing. We need to get to the next level of troubleshooting as TT's telling pros to call the offshore call center in the Philippines to be told to follow up and be personable is no longer close to solving the issue. These issues are far too sophisticated for the call center to handle and I have read of countless pros reinforcing that.

The issue appears to be deep in the system and in most cases is not the result of poor pro skills in following up with leads.