Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
Altonjoe88
Level 1

Customer did not pay

Had a customer ask me to do a fridge assembly. He did not have all the parts. While I was there they asked me to hang curtains. We agreed on a price. I hung up all for brackets and 3 curtains. One curtain was too big. They didn't buy the correct size bracket. So they told me to come.back tomorrow. They called me today and said not to come and they felt that the price I charged was too much. They agreed on the price. What do I do?

Occupations (2)
15 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Customer did not pay

@Altonjoe88 I want to look into this a little bit more. Can you send me a private message with the name of the customer, how much they owe you, and any additional details you think would be helpful for us to know? 

0 Kudos

Re: Customer did not pay

@Altonjoe88 - I once had a client do something similar, and while Thumbtack isn't really responsible for anything beyond getting us connected with possible clients, it would be great if there was an actual functional process to flag these customers so other pros don't get hoodwinked as well.  Over on Fiverr, pros rate clients, just as clients rate us.  It allows other pros to have a bit more information, and helps prevent this kind of trouble.

Going forward, I recommend you require a contract, bill a deposit or half upfront (before starting work), or a bit of both depending on the scope of the job.  That's what I do now.  There are several places online where you can get generic contract templates you can use as needed.

Shareen Mann
Freelance writer and editor with The Write Mann, LLC
Mj442k
Level 4

Customers that dont make payment after work is completed

Ive had 2 customers so far from thumbtack that failed to pay the bill after work was completed resulting in filing mechanics liens and taking them to court to collect payment. Thumbtack needs a option to block these predatory customers from using the thumbtack network and preying on other contractors.
Moderator Kameron

Re: Customers that dont make payment after work is completed

@Mj442k I'm deeply sorry to hear that happened. Thumbtack does take many precautions to prevent inauthentic customers from using the site. In the rare instances where things may not go as planned our Marketplace Trust and Safety team is here to do all that they can to help. In this case, it sounds like you were able to use your local resources to get the matter resolved with the customer, which I'm glad to hear. 

0 Kudos
Jla
Level 4

I am in a situation now where a TT customer has given me a deposit and signed a contract for Wedding photography and Video.  Her balance is due.  Her wedding is Saturday.  She has ghosted me.  She won't return my calls or emails.  What can I do?

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 10

If the TT customer the Bride herself or are they an Event Planner or someone else who is acting on behalf of the Bride?

Regards,
Laurence.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@Jla This can be super frustrating. Along with @Lar's question, when was the last time you spoke to the customer? 

0 Kudos
Jla
Level 4

I talked to her two weeks ago on the phone.  We went over her wedding day timelines, poseing and general wedding day checklist.  Everything was fine.  At the end of the conversation I reminded her that her balance was due the next week (two weeks before wedding).  She said OK.   When I didn’t here from her by mid last week I called an emailed her. No response. I emailed wedding planner (I don’t have her phone number). Her response was I am sorry about that and Will check with the couple and get back to you.  I have heard nothing.  Should I call the venue to see if they got paid? I have never had this happen in over 20 years of photographing weddings. Not sure what to do now!

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@Jla that’s definitely a tough situation. I’m never happy about suggesting this, but if the client has signed a legal contract with you, not paid the deposit in full, and has been non-responsive for a reasonable amount of time, you may want to look into your local resources to see how you can get this solved.

0 Kudos