results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
ReeseTee
Level 7

Denial of Travel settings?

hello Jason or whoever:

I am in an unofficial Facebook of TT Pro's. I am hearing from multiple members: TT Pro's who do NOT opt in to PROMOTE will no longer be able set distances for where leads come from ( I am talking about the type of Pro who travels to the job-poster's home or place of business).

I have noticed that I can no longer set a distance for my jobs/leads. It is just gone.

You guys can spin that any way you want. The decision, especially without formally announcing it, is going to antagonize a lot of Pro's.

And it will NOT compel me to sign up for PROMOTE.

You have a nice day.   Reese T.

Occupations (1)
States
32 responses
V-Sing
Level 5

Re: Denial of Travel settings?

This goes along with my similar post from a couple days ago.  In my category, travel preferences is no longer a filter choice, so I am getting leads who think I am local.  They do not want online.  I was told Thumbtack would be looking to solve this, but who knows when?   Meanwhile, both customers and pros are annoyed, I’m sure!  It’s wrong for both parties.  

Moderator Kameron

Thanks for sharing @ReeseTee

We are slowly rolling out some smaller changes in regards to pro preferences and pros should see an in product notification when it begins for them. 

Now when you complete your profile further by promoting your business, that is when you'll set more specific preferences and tell us exactly what customers you want.

For all other leads you get that don’t perfectly match your stated job preferences, you’ll have the option to decline the job if it’s not a good fit, or you can pay full-price to respond to the customer if it’s a job you want to pursue.

Without promoting your business, you’ll still show in search results to relevant customers. But because you haven't promoted to tell us what you want, the job requests may not be a perfect match. All pros have certain information in their profile, you tell us your business hours, where you operate and the type of services you offer — things that won’t really change day-to-day. We use this information to make sure your business shows in the right market and for the right customers.

So if you’re an event caterer in Atlanta, you won’t see job requests for photography in Chicago. But you might get a request to cater a children’s party, when what you really want to do is cater weddings. I'll add that when pros aren't promoting they'll see jobs within a 150-mile range and can accept or decline them as they choose. 

These improvements were made, because of feedback from amazing pros like you. We are working hard to make sure you get more of the jobs you really want to do - and spend more time doing what you love. Your successes out our successes, we are in this together!

0 Kudos

@Kameron   that blows.  So that's why I'm getting my job board filled up with prospects from 100+ miles away??   Meckell, when asked this the other day, said the cutoff was 50 miles.

Which is the truth?

"Promote yourself for jobs in these areas."     So now we're no longer in control of our defined areas, UNLESS we activate Promote????

Promote your service?

We’ve saved your settings, but we can’t use them to get you better leads until you promote your service.

All this is telling me, is that the number of Pros using Promote must be dwindling, as TT is resorting to lowball tactics to get us to utilize the service.
Moderator Kameron

@AutumnElectric it was originally going to be 50 miles, but after seeing how often pros quoted for jobs outside of that range our teams decided to go with 150 miles. Again these are only jobs that you'll see and decide that you'd like to opt in to. Do you have a mile radius that you feel would be better?

0 Kudos

@Kameron   think about it,  I'm not going to drive 3hrs EACH WAY for a job that's going to eat up most of the hourly rate in transportation!  That's absurd.   But, once again, the 'favored jobs' are going to the Pros who give TT and open checkbook and allow them to charge to answer "what's your quote?", to a job with minimal work description/explanation/etc.

This is slowly circling the drain.....

GLC
Level 4

This is the exact model that HomeAdvisor uses.  You sign up, get leads, charge you $14-$24 per lead then they customer decides to go somewhere else.  Guess what?  Your money, for the lead, GONE!  They claim because their offering you a service to get your name out.  

I had one guy (for a mowing job) using H.A. use me as a lead, called me out to his property, I performed a full quote for his needs (25%) lower than I'd usually charge and he declined the offer.  He later told me, his goal was to price the property out so he could see what he could charge back to the estate for his mother passing away while HE mows the yard.  That's just ONE example of how this method of doing business pisses off the person offering the services.  

TT, what made you special was the "PROS" ability to control who, what, and where they performed their service.  

DONT BECOME H.A.  

DJStevie
Level 11

@Kameron 

Why not keep the radius at 50 miles or less? Or better yet, why not have Pros set the radius? We know how far we would travel for a job. I'm sure that @AutumnElectric and @ReeseTee and other pros would agree. Living on the East coast of Florida, I'm not going to Tampa to DJ a  party instead of a wedding. Who sets these travel radiuses? I'm sure it's not someone in every job category.  Even if it's not someone in my job category setting radiuses, do they even think if they were a Pro, would they travel 150+ miles for a small job as compared to a larger job? Or better yet, why don't they put themselves in the Pros shoes and see if it's worth it before making changes?

Moderator Kameron

@DJStevie like I mentioned to AutumnElectric, after seeing how often pros quoted for jobs past 50 miles the radius was opened up to match. I'll make sure to submit your feedback about preferring a 50-mile range or setting your own when not promoting. 

DJStevie
Level 11

@Kameron 

Perhaps the Pros that have been quoting on jobs 50+ miles away didn't have any local jobs coming in. But that shouldn't be a sign to change it. Regardless of Promoting or not, we should be able to set the range as we know how far we want to travel.