Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
TerryWirt
Level 5

I feel like I might be in the middle of getting scammed

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm designing some logos and other branding for a client. After I finished the logo, I asked him if he would like to use paypal or another digital method of payment. He said he'd like to do a wire tranfer, so I talked with my bank and they told me what info I should and shouldn't give him for that. Later on today, the gentlemen tells me that his bank couldn't tranfer it for some reason and he said his bank is sending me a check that will arrive a week from now. I tell him that there are other methods like he could use USPS and just put a check in the mail and for him to ask for a tracking number so I can use that as confirmation.

Long story short, the guy is using this platform(Thumbtack), but acts like he can't use a digital form of payment for his company he is paying through. I don't want to think the worst, but it's starting to look more and more like I could be getting scammed. Should I tell him that I can't finish my work until payment is received or should I just take him at his word and see if it works out and continue working?

Occupations (1)
States
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
MR
Level 11

Re: I feel like I might be in the middle of getting scammed

Solved! Jump to solution

@TerryWirt It is very likely a scam. I have been seeing more and more of this on TT and many other platforms. Tell him that you will cease work until the check arrives, then wait 10 business days for the check to clear before going back to his project. Be very careful becuause the initial screens at the bank (ie teller or online deposit) may seem fine, but only after the check goes through the back office scans will it come back bad. That is why the 10 day wait.

My guess is after you tell him that you will never see the check or hear from him again.. so don't waste your time on the work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 responses
RCPS
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

@TerryWirt , trust your gut.  I think your suspicion is spot-on as those are all the tell-tale signs of a scam.  I would urge you to stop working with that person.  And definitely do not deposit ANYTHING that they send to you or release any of your banking information.

So sorry that you're experiencing this!  But it's good that you're able to walk away from it.  Be sure to notify TT about this person as well.

Good luck!

~Roxanne

Moderator Meckell

Solved! Jump to solution

@RCPS thank you for sharing your insight on this! 

TerryWirt
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your words! I will definitely report it.

Moderator Meckell

Solved! Jump to solution

Sorry to hear this is going on @TerryWirt. As @RCPS said, trust your gut.

If you see anything suspicious with a customer, we want to know about it right away. Please follow these steps to report it and our team will look into this. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions in the future. 

TerryWirt
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

A lot of his conversation that had me grow more suspicious happened via email. Do I need to share that with you or someone else? There wasn't an area for that in the dispute area.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@TerryWirt it may have been best to include in the description. I'd recommend waiting to hear back on the report and if you still have questions or concerns after that you can contact our support staff. 

0 Kudos
TerryWirt
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

@Kameron ok thanks!

0 Kudos
MR
Level 11

Solved! Jump to solution

@TerryWirt It is very likely a scam. I have been seeing more and more of this on TT and many other platforms. Tell him that you will cease work until the check arrives, then wait 10 business days for the check to clear before going back to his project. Be very careful becuause the initial screens at the bank (ie teller or online deposit) may seem fine, but only after the check goes through the back office scans will it come back bad. That is why the 10 day wait.

My guess is after you tell him that you will never see the check or hear from him again.. so don't waste your time on the work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
TerryWirt
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks! Yeah, that is the thought I had as well. @MR