Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
Mkdiehl
Level 6

Reviewed by a Customer Whose Bid I Declined to Answer

I declined to pay $9.66 for a bid because I was too busy for the work. The customer later marked me as hired. I contacted Thumbtack immediately. They told me not to worry. The customer left me a two-star review and TT says they won't take it down. I worked for six years to build up a 4.9-star average. This enrages me.

howing results for I declined a lead (would have cost $10) because I had enough work. Client later marked me as hired. I immediately contacted Thumbtack Support and they told me not to worry. Then he left a two-star review. Support says it's not their policy to take down reviews, and once a customer reaches out he is allowed to leave a review. Suggested I resend "professionally" to the review, showing I care about my customers. This is outrageous and ridiculous.
Search instead for I declined a lead (would have cost $10) because I had enough work. Client later marked me as hired. ...
howing results for I declined a lead (would have cost $10) because I had enough work. Client later marked me as hired. I immediately contacted Thumbtack Support and they told me not to worry. Then he left a two-star review. Support says it's not their policy to take down reviews, and once a customer reaches out he is allowed to leave a review. Suggested I resend "professionally" to the review, showing I care about my customers. This is outrageous and ridiculous.
6 responses
ReeseTee
Level 8

Re: Reviewed by a Customer Whose Bid I Declined to Answer

hi: When contacting support, it is important to get a name.  For this type of issue, (and it's happened to me) you want to phone, not email.  I would phone again.   And maybe have some screen captures, showing where you declined the JPSY [Job Poster Selected You] lead, and the bad review. My weird review [JP gave me 5 stars, and then ranted in text about TT was not a good company. After I declined, he hit the hired button and then reviewed me...TT took it down]

For the screen captures, you might get a better result, if you did that from a real DeskTop Computer.

It is a double standard that is unfair, IMO: When we Pro's send out bids, the job poster has a list of pre-written auto replies to choose from.   BUT, when we Pro's decline a JPSY (Job-Poster Selected You) we are not allowed to send any message at all.  That could leave the job-poster upset. 

In my area, I do work poor neighborhoods, provided they are willing to pay my rate.  I do know some residents of those neighborhoods experience frustration, because they have problems getting contractors to come out and work. This is why these communities love UBER, traditional cab companies under-serve these neighborhoods.

It's a complex point: Imagine you are in a downtown business district, and you need to hail a taxi, and several empty taxi's pass by you, even though you are standing in the street, waving your arm.  How would you feel?  Maybe some of those Job-Posters feel the same way when they select a TT Pro, and the Pro declines to pay for the contact. This is a real issue, and I am not sure that TT corporate grasps the complexity.

I have actually exploited that on TT.  I have a local competitor who has been kicking my butt, however I know this company (it is not one person, they actually have their own website platform) will not work poor neighborhoods.

I am getting off track. It would be very nice,  if we could send a polite message when declining a JPSY lead.

I am often declining a JPSY lead because it is vague, or there is a specific date indicated for the work, (and I already have other work scheduled) and I have no idea if the JP will be flexible. Sometimes I decline a JPSY lead because I feel the price is too high.

Oh; been on TT since 2013. 300+ hires, 200+ reviews (some are even good).   Reese T.

Mkdiehl
Level 6

Yes, I would like to be polite. I would like it if customers understood why we decline bids, and why we can't send them polite responses. Sometimes I'm too busy; sometimes they want work done that I won't do (ghostwriting academic papers), sometimes the job is too small (worth $30) to risk $10 on. 

0 Kudos
MR
Level 11

@Mkdiehl Your post brings up yet another situation where TT is preventing us to provide good old fashioned customer service to ALL of the people we come in contact with - whether we want to work on their project or not!

Today, when we decline a lead, the user simply gets a rejection that is from TT and not from the pro. It is sterile and not tailored as this poster has stated she would like. So - we look bad just for doing our jobs.

A successful pro is not going to take every job - there will be criteria what makes sense to work on and what does not. People will generally undersand that if they are given a polite response rather than having a canned system generated response saying basically "no soup for you! - go find another"

TT needs to re-invent the system and step out of the limelight - they made the introduction of customer to pro - they must then step back out of the way and let us do our jobs. TT has a role in this space, but they need to stay in their lane.

0 Kudos

@MR something I want to make clear here is that if a pro does decline a lead, then the customer won't be able to leave that pro a review. Which is why I believe @Meckell wanted to investigate this situation further. The point at which a customer will be able to review pro, is if at any point a conversation has begun in the messenger. 

0 Kudos
MR
Level 11

@Kameron  But its not all about reviews - again that says that we are only worried about the TT universe. Our business spans far beyond the world of TT. By allowing for a carefully written rejection, we just may win business on a different project or expand our referral network - which is still alive and well and works alongside the lead-generator companies.

Thanks for reaching out @Mkdiehl. I want to look into your situation and see if there's anything I can do to help. Will you send me a private message with the name of the customer and any other additional details that may be helpful? Once I get that info, I'll look into things and will get back to you with any updates. 

0 Kudos