results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: Travel preferences

This is so RIGHT! I don't promote because I had tons of people choosing me and never responding. With the old system, I closed around 80% of the jobs I quoted on. It also made people actually fill out the details for the jobs. Now I get super vague requests, no one responds, I get charged for a nearly zero job cenversion rate. It makes me much more likely to decline a job than respond. Now travel preferences don't carry over, so if I want to manually screen jobs, I have to hit pass on hundreds of jobs in other freaking states to clear the list. Also, since people can now choose us, TT is super persistent appartently. I'll hit decline and the job will pop up again. Then I'll get 2 or 3 notifications asking me to follow up with them, even after declining it multiple times. Apparently, TT only wants you to promote, and they can't take no for an answer. Thank God I got my SEO on my website up to speed. When I first started TT was 90% of my business. Now it is practically useless. I'm considering dropping it altogether. Their new system sucks.

Carl
Level 6

BusyBee - I share your sentiments.  The old system was working very well for me.  The new "promote" system doesn't.  Under the old system, I could view the lead details and decide whether or not to respond.  I closed a high percentage of the leads that I responded to.  The new system requires that we pay for the lead and respond to it automatically before we even see it, and that definitely doesn't work for me.  Like you, the old system was the source of much of my business - roughly 50% - the other half being repeat and referral.  I never even thought about other lead sources because I was as busy as I wanted to be.  Sadly, those days appear to be gone.

Moderator Meckell

@Bateshandyman you’ll be competing with that number of pros whether you promote your business or not. Even when you quote on jobs through the jobs tab, you’ll be competing with other pros including the pro that customer directly reached out to in the first place. If the customer reaches out to you, it shows that much more interest and likeliness to hire rather than you reaching out to them and wondering if they’ll even read your quote and respond. Promote is here to get you the jobs that you want and gets you connected with customers quickly. How long were you promoting your business before you decided to longer do so? I ask that because it is something you need to give time to get used to. You’ve found success with Thumbtack and I want you to continue seeing that success.

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Meckell 

We understand about competing with other Pros whether Promote is on or off.  If Promote is here to get me the jobs/leads that I want, then what happened for the 3 weeks that I tried it at the advice of @DustiO ? Nothing happened, even she was surprised, yet I was getting bookings using the manual system, which she told me to continue doing.

As for myself and Promote, the other day I turned it on again, just to get some stats. 69 views and 1 lead!! In 24 hours, 114 views and 3 leads? that's not even 10%! How is that getting me jobs/leads that I want? I feel like an 80% of Pros aren't being contacted. I was even high on the Pros search. The cost was $32, which I don't mind paying for because it was to prove a point..But that cost was 20% off? Really? Insights said that the average cost per lead is $15!! If that's the case, why not every lead cost $15? 

You asked @Bateshandyman to give it time. How much time is time? For each pro it's different. I'm not going to give it months and be in the dark. I've given my suggestions on improving Promote, I'm sure @Bateshandyman has as well.  Seems we aren't being heard.

Highlighted

You see the difference is I have the choice whether I can send a quote or not. If there's already been five or six people responded I don't do it read my past statements I'm very selective on my quote I don't get charged and I won't be charged for leads I don't want. The promote feature takes away that choice. and I find it very that y'all keep trying to push it on us and making it harder and harder on us that don't want to use that feature. That's like me going to somebody's house that I know has a roof leak coming up on the roof fixing it whether they want me to or not and then taking the money out of their bank account for whatever I want to charge them and there's nothing they can do about it. Y'all have got to see what our problem is with this feature. It just takes away any choice we have and we get charged whatever y'all want to charge us for whatever y'all want to charge us for.
afacetopaint
Level 5

@Meckell wrote:

@Bateshandymanyou’ll be competing with that number of pros whether you promote your business or not. Even when you quote on jobs through the jobs tab, you’ll be competing with other pros including the pro that customer directly reached out to in the first place. If the customer reaches out to you, it shows that much more interest and likeliness to hire rather than you reaching out to them and wondering if they’ll even read your quote and respond. Promote is here to get you the jobs that you want and gets you connected with customers quickly. How long were you promoting your business before you decided to longer do so? I ask that because it is something you need to give time to get used to. You’ve found success with Thumbtack and I want you to continue seeing that success.

@Meckell no we did not compete with that many people before you changed the way it works because we were able to look at the lead, see how many pros had been contacted and PASS on the lead if we wanted.  We could also pass on the leads that were obvious scammers and pass on leads that based on thier comments helped us to realize we were not a good fit for what they were looking for.   Like the people who are looking for someone to donate thier services or offer free services. 

I woulld rather pay a little more for the leads and be able to choose who I want to put bids in on but IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO PROMOTE YOUR PAGE YOU GET BURIED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PRO LISTINGS.    I know that in your companies twisted logic this benifits us somehow....but I think we should have more options.

ScottK
Level 5

@Meckell , What you are saying is not true! All my preferences have been set for months down to the exact jobs and distance from my home. They are still set the same. This nothing but a play for more of our money. I was told today by TT that is i only want to see leads from my chosen areas i will have to promote all the jobs that I want to do in those areas. NO OTHER OPTION. Did home advisor buy TT  and we just havent found our yet? 

afacetopaint
Level 5

@Meckell wrote:

@Bateshandyman Because your preferences aren't set, we don’t know exactly what you want and the job requests may not be perfect. If you want to get more of the jobs you always want, you can promote your business and tell us your job preferences. When you promote your business, you set specific preferences about the type of job, geography, and availability.

Our preferences ARE SET but if we are not promoting our page Thumbtack has chosen to IGNORE those preferences so be sure to read all of the information on a lead before you accept it or you get stuck paying for leads out of your preferences. 
0 Kudos
afacetopaint
Level 5

@Bateshandyman wrote:
Hey admin why am I receiving jobs from 100 miles away give or take. My travel preferences have not changed so don't tell me to adjust my profile like you have in the past. It's something on y'all's end not mine

If you are not promoting your business you no longer have "travel preferences", they send you whatever they want but do not charge you unless you accept the lead.   So make sure you are reading the location and probably the job type before you accept the lead. 

0 Kudos
Carl
Level 6

Although the "promote" function may work well for some types of businesses, it doesn't work for the type of work that I do because there are so many variables involved that each response and proposal is unique.  There is no "one size fits all" response that's appropriate for anything that I do.  Previously, I had my travel preference set at a ten-mile radius, and even then I chose carefully the leads I would respond to, but now that the travel preference is no longer a function (outside of the "promote" program), resulting in leads from all over the state, I can't afford the time to sift through the leads anymore.  TT has been a great resource up until this point, and I'm sorry to see that come to an end.  Homeadvisor has been in contact with me several times, so maybe it's time to see if they're a better fit.