Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
Suenue36
Level 5

Trouble Getting Payment from Customer

Has anyone had trouble getting a payment from a customer? I waitstaffed a party (along with 2 of my staff) this past Saturday. Most, if not all, customers will pay me at the end of the party.  Usually for large parties, like this one, which was at a hall, and they had a decorator, a DJ, etc, people will have envelopes to give each vendor at the end of the night. This customer did not. At first they said their checkbook was in their truck, but they could not find the keys to the truck. (Which I believe was true.) But then they said they had a checkbook but it was back at their hotel. (They live locally but were staying at a hotel with their out of town relatives.) They wanted me and my staff to go back to the hotel to get the check, but it was very late at night by this point, and I found that to be a little unsafe, so I told them to mail me the check or Venmo the payment to me, which they said they would. I sent them a final invoice the next morning via email. No reply from them. I was hoping the check was in the mail. I haven't received anything yet. I called them this morning, they did not pick up, so I left a very nice, professional message. I then sent them a second (very nice professional) email just to make sure they received the email from Sunday.

Has this happened to anyone? What should I do next? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm worried. Especially because when we were planning the party, the woman I was in touch with, she was very nice and very responsive.

Occupations (1)
States
0 Kudos
5 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Trouble Getting Payment from Customer

@Suenue36 Really sorry to hear that this has happened. We recently had a similar thread about this where some pros were able to chime in and give their thoughts and tips on the subject HERE. If you haven't shared this with us at Thumbtack already feel free to send me the customers name and any other information that you feel could be useful. Once you feel like you've given the customer enough time and chances to resolve this it may be worth looking into your local resources to receive the payment you've worked to earn.

0 Kudos
Suenue36
Level 5

Hi Kameron, My event was on Saturday. I did open a ticket about this earlier in the week, but I told Thumbtack that I would wait and give the customer the benefit of the doubt so I told Thumbtack not to contact them quite yet. But it's now been a couple of days and I still haven't received a response from the customer. They didn't respond to my two emails or answer my call from today. 

When you say "Once you feel like you've given the customer enough time and chances to resolve this it may be worth looking into your local resources to receive the payment you've worked to earn." What does "local resources" mean exactly?

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@Suenue36 glad that you've reached out and had a ticket going. If you feel it's time I'd reach back out to the agent over the ticket to allow them to attempt to reach out to the customer. When it comes to local resources it often depends on the pro and how they state they'll go about handling a customer not paying within the contract. 

0 Kudos
Suenue36
Level 5

Ok thanks. I didn't put any instructions on my contract regarding not paying. I assume everyone will always pay. (I guess I'm just naive like that...). I don't mind if the payment is delayed, if I hear from the customer, but because they haven't been responding to me is what is making me feel like they are avoiding me. Also, it's not just me they are paying, but I had two staff with me as well who I have to pay. 

Has anyone ever gotten paid after not hearing from someone for awhile, without having to contact local resources? 

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@Suenue36 every situation is different. There are definitely times when customers do come back and pay.

Getting another professional's insight is super helpful! I would recommend looking at the other conversation about this that Kameron linked above. A lot of pros shared their experiences and advice regarding this same issue. 

0 Kudos