results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Jeffcam
Level 6

Video Production Leads Not Qualified

When I started using Thumbtack I would see qualifed leads.  You know, someone who actually knows what they want.  Now about 90% of the requests are for a person who wants a music video with multiple locations three cameras needed.  Budget $250-$500.  Who are they going to find?   I wish Thumback would give some instruction to a lead with some truth about what it cost to hire a professional with 20+ years experience and thousands of dollars in equipment.   And my favorite,  one lead with a reasonable $5000-6000 budget, however it was a new production company starting in town that just wanted to call and get some idea of what I normally charged for work.   Not sure if it's worth it any more.  Definetly zero ROI  Especially when you complain and want a refund for a crap lead and you hear crickets.

Occupations (1)
States
18 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Video Production Leads Not Qualified

Hi @Jeffcam, I can see what you're coming from and I would love more of your insight so I can send your suggestions to our Product Team. What specific details do you think would be useful for customers to see? 

As far as that production company reaching out to you, I definitely want to look into that. What was the first name of the customer on that request? 

0 Kudos
Jeffcam
Level 6

I don't even remember I was so angry.  I have reached out to the product development team serveral times regarding my frustrations starting probably a year ago and never got a response.  I wanted to try and help you guys and suggested that you have some real professionals that could be an "advisory board" for video professionals.  No response.

Jeffcam
Level 6

The quote started out with like an actual project the questions were a bit too probing and he finally confessed he was doing some research into what I charged for his own production house.  I may have even sent you guys a complaint but never heard back.

Jeffcam
Level 6

Here is tonights GEM!  A shoot of a little girl dancing, 3 hours budget $5000.Screenshot 2019-03-13 18.51.38.pngTonights Gem!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Meckell

Hi @Jeffcam can you elaborate a little bit more about what's raising concern about Lanita's request? 

Upon that, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't hear back from our team regarding getting contacted by another production company. I am happy to take a look into that, but do need the name of the customer in order to do so. I look forward to hearing from you. 

0 Kudos
Jeffcam
Level 6

More than $5000 budget for shooting a video of a little girl dancing?  This is the classic I go ahead and spend $36 to respond and she's going to say, Oh I meant $500.  No one spends $5000 to shoot video of a girl dancing.  If it does not make sense to you then that is another reason why video professionals have a hard time getting qualified leads.   Reach out to her and ask her if she is really willing to spend $5000 or MORE to have this video shot.  Maybe it's J Low's daughter and will spend $5k.  Doubtful.   So I go ahead and pay for the lead and I don't get it because she actually meant less than $5000.  Do I get my money back?  It is not in good faith anymore.  I had so many of the leads that say, oh I meant X and the actual description is Y.    Producing a video is not black and white it's like having a Thumbtack area on "I want to build a house and I have X to spend."  There are just too many moving parts and options.

Moderator Meckell

@Jeffcam it is completely up to you to either quote on this job or pass. If the customer's details of the job change significantly (like a budget from $5000 to $500) after you send them a quote, let us know and we will get you taken care of. One thing to keep in mind is that although this customer's job might not be as much as they're willing to spend, a budget is there for them to indicate that they're willing to spend that amount. If your cost for this job is less than $5000, that's great! Let the customer know that and work with her to seal the deal. 

0 Kudos
Jeffcam
Level 6

I understand that but so many times that I've accepted a lead I give them a price they are like wow, that's expensive when they indicated that it was within their budget and it goes no where.  Another $30+ down the toilet, but again that is completely up to me right?  I showed you an example of someone who had an excessive budget.  That's the exception the rule is they want a $5000 project for under $500 so I just Pass again and again and again.  We are not plumbers

Jeffcam
Level 6

Tonight's GEM. MultiCamera Shoot with 30 minutes in length.  Budget Under $500.  WOW,  Let me take $40K of gear to a shoot for a few hours , then edit it down for a couple or few hours for a whole under $500.  Same Pattern.  You guys should be able to easily tell this person YOURSELF, or have an OPTION to Send them a message that says.  Good luck jackass to find this.  Like going to a plumber on Thumbtack and saying,  Need waterheater $100 budget.   Is any plumber going to say yes?  Another waste of time.  Any Thoughts Thumbtack?

Screenshot 2019-03-16 19.27.12.pngScreenshot 2019-03-16 19.27.04.pngScreenshot 2019-03-16 19.26.50.png