results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
mkaufman
Level 5

Ahhhh Thumbtack you can do better!

I know this has been mentioned many times before but I've been disappointed lately with the leads I've been paying for. I've been a Thumbtack subscriber for years but lately I've put more effort into my profile. I am encouraged by the amount of leads I've been getting but discouraged at the response from customers. I respond almost immediately to leads that are a "perfect match" or to someone requesting to hear from me and I never get a response. I have reviews, backrground check, quick response, etc. I feel like I'm doing all the right things. I'm paying $8-$10 per lead and the last 4 or 5 times gotten no response. Per Thumbtack's request, I recently increased my budget and now it seems I can't go back to what it was. I'm losing money and I can't afford to do so. Also, I should mention many of these leads are not people who are serious about learning yoga in the first place, and one I even had to report because he was aggresive and called me names. How can we fix this Thumbtack? I am know I am not alone here and I would hate for you to lose pros over this. 

States
8 responses

Re: Ahhhh Thumbtack you can do better!

@mkaufman I am in the same position (no pun intended) as you are; actually, I pay three times the amount you pay for leads. If I may offer a few suggestions:

1) Weed out the window shoppers by accepting only leads that have some notation or commentary in the lead's message box.

2) You can set or reset your budget slider to any number you wish

3) I started off in TT as a NASM certified Trainer who offers to incorporate culinary skills into my clients' programming. If I were still actively doing CPT work, I would love to network with a qualified Yoga Pro like you. Something to think about.

4) Use the Community boards here to put up posts looking to join forces with others in the Fitness industry: Massage, Personal Trainers, Zumba Instructors, etc. This forum has great potential for success in this endeavor.

All the best!

mkaufman
Level 5

@ChefOfAllSeasonthanks for your response! Glad to know I am not alone!

I appreciate your suggestions too. I mostly do pass on leads that don't have any information simply for that reason! Like how do I know it's a good fit for me or them? I don't want to pay for it if it's not or they don't take the time to fill out their profile as a customer. 

My account won't let me move my budget back. I've tried. Is there something I'm missing?

I love your idea of incorporating culinary tips into your personal training work!  Nicely done.

I'm interested in the idea of collaborating with other fitness pros. Can you elaborate on that a bit? How or where would I go about doing so?

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos

@mkaufman You bet. First, about the slider bar in your budget settings: Sorry to ask, but are you sure it can't slide left to it's minimal setting? It should show something like "0-3 leads".

Anyway, as for networking, put up a whole new post that asks for Professionals in the Fitness Industry (in your state) that want to team up, make package deals, etc. Anytime we start a new post here, there is an option to click on your profession (such as Wellness) and your state. You could call the post "Network Stars" or Fitness Gurus from (fill in state), Let's Talk!"......something like that.

0 Kudos
mkaufman
Level 5

@ChefOfAllSeason I have the targeting turned on and my budget is $20 per week. Maybe that's the lowest you can go? Do you use the targeting?

Great ideas about combining forces! Have you done so with success?

0 Kudos

I use Target for my three services listed on TT. Your minimum sounds about right. How is Targeting working for you? How is your rank position? could share some tips that may help.
0 Kudos
mkaufman
Level 5

Targeting has been great so far! I switch between first and second rank in my town, I have 9 5-star reviews. Please do share!

Moderator Meckell

@mkaufman thank you for starting this conversation and for the constructive dialogue going on. I am happy to hear that setting your targeting preferences is going well for you! I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with not getting serious customers. This is all feedback that we need to hear so thank you for sharing!

As far as your budget, I'm happy to clarify. There are some categories on Thumbtack in which there's a minimum budget pros can set. It looks like for your service, the lowest you can go is $20. Keep in mind that because your targeting preferences are set, you'll only get charged if the customer reaches out to you and their job matches your preferences. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Mustang
Level 4

Absolutely. 

In my case, the leads are costing $20 and $30... with no response.

If there was some level of meaningful interaction with the customer before the charge, I'd be OK with that. I know that I've declined a bunch of people who might have been good customers if only their description was not so rediculously vague. I can't risk responding since there is no way to have any idea of what they really want... with the current system.

I do believe there are ways to manage this and make the idea of a LEAD more reasonable and fair. I think it could significantly improve the likelihood that people get what they came to TT for in the first place... paying jobs matched with solutions for customers.

-Mustang Int'l