results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Highlighted

Re: Change back to the old format

you guys are not understanding- he does not want to respond because it costs him money !! for possibly a breed that he has no experience or interest in training! fix this system or TT will lose professionals!

Mgr
Level 1

I am a customer and I want the professional to read my specialized request and make sure that they can do it. I don’t have time to start messaging 30 people back and forth getting quotes and seeing if they are able to do what I need. I hate hate hate the new format. I have hired so many times using the old format and I don’t have time or patience to deal with contacting everyone individually. I might as well go on Craigslist or yellow pages.

I agree 100% to this. I used to be able to vet my jobs. I picked which jobs I could accomodate and which ones best fit my skills. I usually closed about 80% of every job I quoted. With the new system, I get maybe 15% of the leads I'm charged for. I also seem to get charged for leads I decline because "they chose me." As a handyman, I have a wide variety of "categories" but I need to be able to check out the job well to see if its really in my parameters.  Especially with the "instant match" stuff, I get a lot of jobs that don't really fit my skill set or are not something I can handle in a timeframe the customer would consider. I feel like the detail from the customer has also gotten more spotty. Since my website got traction, I'm usually booked weeks in advance and use Thumbtack to find future jobs or fill gaps. With instant matching and them choosing me, I can't readily vet timelines, etc. Since I'm usually a top pro, I get chosen all the time for jobs I wouldn't have quoted and/ or when I respond, I can't accomodate timelines. I used to be able to include a possible future availability in my custom quote. Also instant match seems to be counter to my pricing models. It only allows hourly rates for things I usually quote flat rate and asks for flat rates to highly varied things that I usually quote hourly. Within the last year, thumbtack has gotten quite expensive and given me very few jobs. I almost ignore it now. If I manually quote, others got there first with their rock bottom instant match prices, and its not worth the effort. I used to get 90% of my business through thumbtack providing customers fast, highly customized quotes. Instant match doesn't work well for the trades. There are too many variables on a job I need to know about. I've also noticed a drop off in finding other contractors as a customer. I always get no one available.  I think its due to the change in policies. People aren't actively managing their leads. I wish they'd go back to the old system. I think it is a mindest between trying to give more choices to customers and actually accomplishing the opposite. Also, certain things can't be automated easily. A perfect example is furniture assembly. Now its got base pricing for each type of furniture item. But a desk can be tiny or huge.  Easy to assemble or complicated. Hourly works best but now we're all comparing a base price and having to have all these add  ons or try grill the customer to deterimine how long it will take. The old way allowed me to choose fixed or hourly pricing on a case by case basis. It was more accurate and more helpful to the customer. The detail and ease of accurately assessing a project were the things that intitially drew me to TT. If I wanted a ton of vague, expensive leads, I'd use Home Advisor.

At first I believed i was resisting something new and just being stuck in the old way. But then i quickly realized the Thumbtack had going, accumulating bundles of $ from one job request. The old system was a million times better. i loved thumbtack..now i am not willing to invest in it until something changes. Unfortunately now when customers choose me, i dont even respond because the previous two times i accepted the lead, i got charged and the customers practically disappeared. Costing me for .... basically nothing. Looking forward to the changes THUMBTACK TEAM!