results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
lduff11
Level 5

Credit Card Scammers using TT to contact pros

Solved! Jump to solution

I have received several scammers lately.  They try to setup a project or work with me by asking for a bid for an expensive project.  They are usually very interested in whether I accept credit card payments.   Because their scam involves fake or stolen credit card numbers.  They provide the CC info, ask you to charge a large amount but send them back money.   Meanwhile, as a TT pro client I've already spent $$$$$ the fake lead. 

I didn't fall for the scam and I'm sure there are more out there.  Beware of anyone using credit card and not providing some form of photo ID.  Also do not give them money back!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Kameron

Re: Credit Card Scammers using TT to contact pros

Solved! Jump to solution

@lduff11 I'm really sorry to hear about this. Have you let us know about this already so we can look into these customers? If not please feel free to send me a direct message with any information you have and the customer names. Should you come across any leads like this that you're unsure of in the future you can also report them directly to our teams using the steps on this page: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/reporting-suspicious-activity.

0 Kudos
6 responses
Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@lduff11 I'm really sorry to hear about this. Have you let us know about this already so we can look into these customers? If not please feel free to send me a direct message with any information you have and the customer names. Should you come across any leads like this that you're unsure of in the future you can also report them directly to our teams using the steps on this page: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/reporting-suspicious-activity.

0 Kudos

Is Thumbtack selling it's user's information?

Solved! Jump to solution

Earlier today, I created a project to hire a Pro.  Within a few hours, I started getting phone calls from a company called "ServPro", which is a service contractor service out of Denver, Colorado:  https://www.servprodenvereast.com/   .... I am located on the other side of the country from Colorado, and had no idea who was calling me until I did a web search of the number.

I had not exchanged phone numbers with the ONE Pro I had communicated with.  I believe, especially after reading their privacy policy, that Thumbtack is selling our information to 3rd parties.   

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Moderator Kameron

Re: Is Thumbtack selling it's user's information?

Solved! Jump to solution

@DontSellMyInfo Sorry to hear about this. I can assure you that this isn't something we would do, but I'm here to help in anyway that I can. If you can send me a direct message with more information about this and what made you think it was connected to Thumbtack I can start checking into this with you.

0 Kudos
AmbitGuy
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I've had my share of scammers as well. Both Credit card, and bogus checks. When It smelled fishy, I immediately contacted TT and they refunded my credit and punted the scammer.

0 Kudos
clearchoice
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

I think to prevent scammers, thumbtack should charge lead requets posibliy 10 to 25 dollars then they could get refund by the pro they hire,but to request estimate for free there will be alot of scammers,at firts I got happy from getting to many request and I spent 2000 dolars with out getting any job, these guys just got my info and triying to call me for crazy stuff like they are not here right now but the manager will handle the project,but they wanted to make sure I get pay in advanced. so the solution to this is, each requester must pay  before summintin a request then can get refund by the pro who gets hire 

Markpep
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Did you actually get paid from them? Lol
0 Kudos