Highlighted

Re: New Pricing Structure

Best Answer

@Marylyn I'm happy that you were able to get in contact with our support team to get some of your questions answered. If you have any questions that are still lingering, don't hesitate to reach out to us here in the Community. We're more than happy to help!

It sounds that your main concern has to do with standard and premium services. Do you have any suggestions for us on how to better educate customers on what a standard service is versus a premium service? When you surveyed your Thumbtack customers, did they have any suggestions to better specify what these mean? You know your business best and any insight you have to offer on this is always appreciated. 

As far as customers reaching out to you having a lower budget than what your service costs, I can see how that's frustrating and will be sure to pass on this feedback to our Product Team. I see that you're not promoting your business right now, so if a customers budget is lower than what you offer, go ahead and pass on that lead. I appreciate you taking the time to write this out as it's important to us to know what's working and what's not working for pros. 

We hear that you all want more transparency and I can assure you that's something we're working on. Stay tuned as we continue to make updates and know that we want nothing but success for you and your business. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Meckell:

Did you read my notes carefully? If you did, how can you not be replying to the problem of using standard and premium to charge us??? I gave you exactly what needs to happen. The categories have to be removed from being the criteria for sending us pre-paid leads.  Thumbtack must use our criteria only. And, those two categories are useless for caterers. Take them out. There is just no way to define them to the general public that would make it crystal clear. Anyway, I SAID people choose premiun and still want it all for $25. I am in the NY Tri-State area. You can't buy a roast beef sandwich, bag of chips and a drink for less than $10 anywhere. I don't think you understand what it costs to do business here. But, the point is, I DO. Let me be the decider and still use promote!!! That is what everyone wants... Don't you get that????

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Veteran
Best Answer

When you promote your business you set preferences to get in front of more of the right customers for the jobs that you'll always want.

Define 'right customers'.

For Pro's 'right customers' means customers who's job requirements match the Pro's preferences AND more importantly customers who DO actually want to TALK to the Pro and have a GENUINE desire and interest in hiring the Pro.

For Thumbtack 'right customers' means customers who's job requirements match the Pro's job preferences. It doesn't matter to Thumbtack if the lead doesn't actually want to talk to a Pro. It doesn't matter to Thumbtack if the lead has no genuine desire to hire you a Pro. It doesn't matter to Thumbtack if the lead doesn't want to hire anyone in fact. All that matters to Thumbtack is that the 'right customer' means the customers job details matched the Pros preferences. That's it.

So when Thumbtack say When you promote your business you set preferences to get in front of more of the right customers for the jobs that you'll always want, it's doesn't mean what you think it means. Pros don't want jobs from customers who don't want to talk to them. Pros don't want to jobs from customers who have no genuine desire or interest in hiring them.

With Promote off, imagine if you're a Pro and a lead reaches out to you and you see they have already contacted 8 Pros ahead of you. What would you do? I know what I'd do. I'd decline the lead because they are most likely just fishing around for the cheapest price and because I'm up against 8 other Pros the competition is stupidly high. My chances of getting hired are very low.

What if you'd had Promote on though?

You'd have been automatically charged for a lead that you DIDN'T want because you're not interested in leads where the customer has reached out to loads of other Pros ahead of you. Too bad for you though, Thumbtack already have your money. Thumbtack did their job by putting you in front of what they think is the 'right customer' even it's not a customer you want, it's actually the 'wrong customer'.

What about a customer who doesn't enter additional details about their job and you typically decline those kinds of leads?

With Promote you'll be automatically charged for leads that you DIDN'T want because the lead didn't provide any additional information. Too bad for you though, Thumbtack already have your money. Thumbtack did their job by putting you in front of what they think is the 'right customer' even it's not a customer you want, it's actually the 'wrong customer'.

Most Pro's don't trust Promote because too often it doesn't put you in front of the 'right customers'. All you can trust Promote to do is to put you in front of customers who match you job preferences, that's all. Pros define 'right customer' in a very different way to Thumbtack.

Many of the problems Pros have with Thumbtack (like @Marylyn) are because Promote causes Pros to pay for being put in front of 'wrong customers' not the 'right customers'.

Regards,
Laurence.

Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Ok, Meckell, I am waiting for an honest reply to my post below yours. Please go through the points/facts I raise and address them. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Charges

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Hello All, Thank you for helping out a newbie. I thought that Thumtack only charged you when you messaged a lead? I am being charged for when leads message me... Is there a way to change this? I don't see how I should be charged for leads that I am not taking. Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Charges

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Disregard, It appeard I had "Promote" on.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Charges

Best Answer

@LawnGuy glad you got things figured out! For further context, I'd recommend watching this video here that explains when you're charged. Of course, we're always here and happy to help if you have any questions. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Model of when you get charged

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Hello All,

I am on my soapbox.  I have a DJ business, and this payment model may work for other businesses, but it doesn't work for mine.  I think there is a MAJOR flaw in the lead/payment model.  I get leads from Thumbtack, and reply with quotes.    After I send a quote - if the requestor replies at all - saying anything - I get charged.  THIS IS NOT RIGHT!  If I get hired, I have no problem paying for the lead.... but when the lead is still in the quote and discussion stage, it should still be free.  I have had a few respond to ask a question or 2 or get some clarification.  Then they move on and I never hear back from them, or they ask can you do the job for 1/2 the price you quoted.  So, I paid for the lead - FOR NOTHING.  I am considering pulling myself off of ThumbTack because of this Quote/Question/Charge/Nothing model.  

To me - this is like I go into a hardware store.  I am looking for a drill.  A clerk asks if he can help me find a drill.  The clerks says - the drills are over here - but before you can look at them you need to pay me $20.  I am interested and say let me see the drill to make sure it will do everthing I want.  The clerk says no - if you want to qualify the drill and see if it does what all you want - pay me $20 and you can look at it further and see what all it does.  So, I pay the $20, the drill does not do what all I want, and I leave with nothing and short $20.  It should not work this way.

Highlighted

Re: Model of when you get charged

Best Answer

@Ferbert Thumbtack wants to introduce pros and customers to each other, which is what you're paying for, the introduction. If we switched to a pay per hire model, it would be hard to track the hires as a lot of conversations and communication happens off of the platform. We don't want to limit pros and customers to only communicating through the Thumbtack platform, which is what would need to happen if we switched to only paying for hires. This is something addressed by Marco in our recent Q&A. Be sure to check that out in this video here, just jump forward to 5:30 to hear his answer to this particular question. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Model of when you get charged

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Would you be willing to purchase things - anything - with your model?   I seriously doubt it.

0 Likes