results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Denise
Level 8

Re: Fees

@Cjcb29 I just strted seeing the fees on my requests a few days ago. Now that I can see the price I will be charged if a client contacts me, I am a whole lot more comfortable with sending quotes! I can decide if the risk is worth the reward or not.

Truthfully, most people won't respond anyway. So this is a better system for me than when I used to pay for the client simply checking the quote and then going ghost. YES, there are still people that ask silly redundant questions, I get charged and they still go ghost under the new system. But, this is still turning out to be more cost effective for me than when I was paying for someone to simply check the quotes. 

0 Kudos
Denise
Level 8

@Cjcb29 I just started seeing the fees on my requests a few days ago. Now that I can see the price I will be charged if a client contacts me, I am a whole lot more comfortable with sending quotes! I can decide if the risk is worth the reward or not.

Truthfully, most people won't respond anyway. So this is a better system for me than when I used to pay for the client simply checking the quote and then going ghost. YES, there are still people that ask silly redundant questions, I get charged and they still go ghost under the new system. But, this is still turning out to be more cost effective for me than when I was paying for someone to simply check the quotes. 

0 Kudos
Jevakat
Level 5

I have seen a couple of posts on here that we can now see what it cost to receive a message before we quote.  I do not see anywhere what it costs.  Although that is great, its still way too much to receive a message.  I haven't quoted on anything for a while since not knowing what I'm being charged. Maybe someone can help me to figure out why I'm not seeing pricing.  With pricing so high I will still be very frugal in what I bid on.  I used to bid on 4 or 5 things a week when I knew what I was spending. Now, I don't think I have bid on anythng in a month. PLEASE TT, bring pricing down and let us see what it is before we bid. You will get more people quoting. 

When I was a salesman for a big corporate company I would consult with customers on pricing.   True story: Talked a customer into dropping an item from $15.99 to $14.99 to increase sales, yes I mean $$. The customer down the street selling at lower price.  Reluctantly, he finally agreed. Of course I pretty much guaranteed it would bring in more $$. I came back the next week he had sold about 4 more than his average of 10. Second week 8 more than average, third week has doubled his average. You get where I'm going here? To break even in this scenerio he would have to only sell 3 more than average. Not bad huh? To make a long story short (ooops, too late) Just because you bring your price down doesn't mean your going to profit less.

Bring you pricing down and you will probably get more quotes, which turns into responses, which turns into $$$$.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@Jevakat seeing pricing up front is only something few pros can see right now as we're still in testing. It’s still a work in progress and we’re working hard to make this available to all of our pros soon. 

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Level 6

That you had to spend on 6 or 7 quotes before getting one gig before, had more to do with TT's lack of pre-qualifying via asking the right questions of the customer, up front. Thus sometimes, we had to roll the dice, without knowing what they fully wanted. So what needed to be done, was to simply fine tune the questions, not jack up the bids many times what they were. Because we still receive leads that aren't fully explained, except now rolling the dice requires a far higher ante, unacceptable. Why TT believes it's computer algorhithims can predict our suitability & fee we'll receive on too little information than even we, the actual pros doing this for 20, 30 years can, is flawed at it's premise. Then adding in this confusing and contradictory pricing system, is only adding salt to the wound...

Agreed ! I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a Thumbtack rep trying to explain how their new system does NOT benefit the Pros, ONLY the company. I was charged $17.01 (of a $20 budget btw) for a $165 couples portrait. The people contacted me, wanted the photo that evening, which I agreed too, then they couldn't figure out why it would take a 1/2 hour to get to the beach for a beach photo... ummm hello? I google searched for them, found the closest beach to the airport (they were flying back home) and even sent them directions. Never heard back after at LEAST 15 comms back and forth. Now WHY was I charged $17.01???? That's TRIPLE what I paid before when i sent individual quotes. And I WILL NOT use Instant Match.. I don't do generic quotes , especially with something as personal as a photograph. But this "budget " is purely and simply a MONEY GRAB by Thumbtack, most notably because THE PRO HAS NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE PAYING FOR! I have no idea how Thumbtack came up with an arbitray number of $17.01? for a quote and response. 

To me thats crap, pure and simple. To TRIPLE the price of the same quote?  CRAP. Them trying to push that its cheaper /free to quote is crap. Before If I paid $5.00 to quote and a customer looked at the quote but didn't contact me, I still paid $5.00. BUT, I ONLY quote on what I'm BEST at and usually get the job.  Now, if I make a budget and a customer contacts me, I have NO  IDEA what I'm being charged. and if you have  lower budget like I do (i'm on disability) I WON'T  make the budget large b/c guess what?? ALLof the sudden THOSE QUOTES EQUAL THE BUDGET!!! AMAZING HOW THAT WORKS OUT FOR THUMBTACK.. FOR ME, NOT SO MUCH.

I have 92 5 Star reviews, one of the top producers in my ares of St. Petersburd/Tampa Bay. NOW I refuse to "budget" b/c I have NO idea what I 'm going to be chargd until I see it on my CCard. NOT FAIR... The funny thing is, I actually had $1.67 credit so the actual quote was $ 18.68. PRETTY CONVENIENT SINCE MY BUDGET WAS $20.00, RIGHT??

If Thumbtack doesn't fix this , they will lose me for sure and I'm thinking a LOT of other Pros, ESPECIALLY  in my professional photography genre will leave the company and find another place to get projects. Lots of OTHER places are starting to pop up.

Leigh Clifton

Studio656West

VideoTerry
Level 6

Hi, "Studio656West"! As sad as your story is--and painfully typical at that--the worst part of all is that SOMEONE, or better put, NO ONE even bothered to reply!!

They seem to NEVER reply to REAL issues, and THAT'S why pros are pissed, and leaving. 

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

~TW

magicmikecat
Level 5

I noticed the original question has still not been answered - how can you not let people know how much they will be charged for a conversation until after the fact? Without letting us know ahead of time we could easily look at our credit card statement and see Thumbtack charged us $1000.00 if they wanted to since they are not posting prices up front - is it even legal to charge someone card for an amount they are not even aware of?
Highlighted
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Hi @magicmikecat While we don't know the exact price before hand, because the price depends on the quality of the contact, the job type and size, etc. - there is a section in your account that will tell you the range of a price as well as the average price for a contact in that category. Also, you set your budget, and your charges will never go over that budget - you will never look on your statement and have a surprise $1000 charge from Thumbtack. 

In order to see this price info simply go to your "Services" and then to your "Budget" - under your budget settings you will see some frequently asked questions - If you click on "How much do I pay?" you will see this information.

When you set your budget, you have control over how much you spend on Thumbtack - we will never go over that budget (and may not even meet that budget). Once you find a good pace, you can play with that budget to see what works best.

I hope this helps!

GrampysMagic
Level 7

"While we don't know the exact price before hand, because the price depends on the quality of the contact, the job type and size, etc."

Determined by who??? How are they qualified to set MY fee as a magician and balloon twister?