Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: Good news about pricing!

@Meckell, I hope you do not mind explaining how Thumbtack can discern if a customer is serious. Care to share?

What pattern can possibly be found in a Request? Do the Pros see all the factors that you see when you say you see patterns? What are those factors? Let's say that your data tells you that a request for work is needed in the next few days at specific times and it raises the "Serious" quotient. Does Serious mean we pay more, or less?

And what is Thumbtack doing to ask better questions to get a clear picture of the size of a job? In my category of Home Inspections there are things you are not asking the customers which cost more and at times we may not be licensed to provide. Yes, I have sent my suggestions for changes to the questions asked of the customers to TT. It seems like you are basing cost on the square footage of the house. What about the age of the home? Is that factored into the cost to quote? And if so, which costs more? Older costs more? Or new cost more? What is the Thumbtack pricing rationale? 

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Moderator Meckell

@HansenJC The value of a lead is determined in part by how likely we think that customer is to hire you. If their message doesn't demonstrate any intent to hire, we won't charge.  That's why you'll never pay when a customer says "no thanks." To make sure we're asking the right questions to customers, we're constantly asking pros for their feedback, and we're constantly revisiting and updating the request form as a result.  What questions would you like to see that are not there today? What questions are there today that aren't particularly helpful?

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: Good news about pricing! - Likely to Hire?

Meckell,

So job size and hard data that is gathered in the Request questionaire that the Customers fills in has no bearing on the costs the pros pay? Is there any Request data that we can see and verify that goes into the calculations of what Thumbtack charges a Pro?

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos
Hankster
Level 10

What is considered a large job in the DJ category TT? How about medium sized jobs? What about smaller sized jobs? I get charged as soon as that customer simply asks 'Are you avaialble on my date' or 'Hey your price sounds good but I still have to meet with another DJ service'. Why in the heck should I be charged based off of those two statements? That's not an interested customer......yet. That's an inquiry & a statement respectively. When I respond back & the customer does likewise then that's the beginnings of an interested customer. As a consumer who is being charged the asinine prices I would like to see these charges broken down line item by line item. But TT won't do that. You know why? They don't have any rhyme or true reason as to why they charge the prices they do. C'mon moderators. Enough with the canned robotic answers. Get the CEO in on these community posts & have him defend his product!!!!

Moderator Meckell

@Hankster I understand if you don't think a customer asking for your availability is interested, but we disagree.  This is new lead and a new potential customer - one that can very possibly become a hire.  We charge you for that introduction.  Think about a billboard or an advertisement you put in the newspaper:  you pay money in advance to put your business name out there, and you hope that customers will contact you when they see it. If you got a call from a customer who saw your billboard, asking for your availability, would you say they're interested? At the end of the day, in terms of when you pay and what you're paying for, Thumbtack isn't all that different from these other forms of advertising. There's definitely a lot of rhyme and a lot of reason that goes into our pricing, but I understand how it can look like a blackbox.  What information, specifically, would you like to see? There aren't multiple line items hidden anywhere - there's just one price that's determined by a variety of factors.  What would give you more trust in the system?

0 Kudos
Hankster
Level 10

Your billboard point is valid but customers don't provide their phone number or email address for that matter when they ask about my availability on TT. At least with a billboard ad I would get a phone call, email or both. I've seen way too many times on TT when I tell someone I'm available I never hear from that person again after multiple followups & I'm charged for that one and only contact. If someone is truly interested when they ask about my availability it should be mandatory that they provide a phone number & email address. That information provided will give me more trust in the system. What are the 'variety of factors' that you mention that determine the price? In the DJ category what does TT consider a small job? Medium job? Large job? In addition to the job size what are the other costs associated for those jobs? That's what I want to see when I get billed. Not one flat fee. TT needs to win back my trust!
missyj09
Level 6

I disagree, their billboard or newspaper point is not valid.  Yes we pay in advance for a billboard or newspaper add, but those ads stay up for weeks or however long you pay to have them stay up.  I can post an ad in a newspaper for $40 and it's out there for 2 weeks.  On here it costs me anywhere from $22 - $75 for ONE LEAD, that doesn't seem to go anywhere.  I did a year long ad in a very prominent magazine with our local chamber and it cost me a total of $400 with a half page ad and also my listing in the classifieds, not only that but I get an entire calendar of networking events.  Thumbtack has become greedy, your pricing is ridiculous, you have absolutely no way to know how to set a price on any of our services without first seeing or knowing how large, or how big an event is.  Quit spewing the crap out of your mouth and do something about it.  WE would like to see results, not listen to a bunch of scripted excuses.  

Highlighted
vegaburm
Level 4

I agree strongly that we shold get acess to a phone number or at the very least an e-mail once a client responds. It drives my nuts to respond to them and then never hear a thing back . 

jcp
Level 9

I’m going to go back to a email from way back by Marco. He also told me this in person. One of the reasons for his increasing 15 quotes for customer was because too many customers were complaining that no one was responding to their requests. Ok - so we pros know it’s mostly because the budget was unrealistic for the services requesting why we don’t respond. We all know that. So how does TT respond to that customer complaint? Simple - force the Customer to get 10 quotes. There ya go! Problem solved. However - in order to force responses to go the customer - the pros have to give up control in order for it to work. Thus : Creation of Instant Match. A month or two goes by and ........... the announcement of “no budgets”. Why? Because it seems that shortly after Instant Match started - when we pros set our realistic prices to be instantly matched with our services ..... matches not being made. Removing budget range now forces 10 Instant Matches. I saw requests I responded to PRIOR to the no budget requirement - but still Instant Match - that were above the customers budget request. I took screen shots because in couldn’t believe it. So it appears that TT pros were not being Instantly Matches because customers unrealistic budgets. This could be a possibility as to why months later “budget request” was removed. I mean I have no choice as to guess why because it’s ridiculous! Anyway - that’s today’s thoughts. This week numbers : 0 quotes sent. Maybe next week I’ll find a worthy lead to respond to. Fingers crossed. Good luck fellow pros. Hopefully TT will restore the professional practices soon and we can get back to being successful with this platform. Hang in there!
jcp
Level 9

“Are you available”? Is not a lead. And pros should not be charged. Are you kidding me? I worked in advertising for years and this is not a “getting your name out there” chargeable services. If anything, not in a way that the price tripled. Please. If you don’t give a phone number or contact info it’s not a lead. I know about “impressions” in advertising and if that one person doesn’t see my name and company name a minimum of three times in a month - they will NOT remember me. That is a proven formula in advertising. You think one person will look for a videographer three separate times in a month on TT and my specific name will show up all three times and all three times they open my request and/or contact me? And that’s a minimum of 3 times. I sold adverting for tv, radio and print for years so - your pros should know these facts. TT knows this because that’s how they purchase their tv ads. They don’t run their commercial once a month.