results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
MR
Level 10

How many Pros is too many

I just responded to a promoted job - when I looked at the insights, I see that the lead also asked 11 other pros for a response. 

I know TT is all about choices for the leads, but that is utterly ridiculous.

Obviously the value of the lead decreases with the number of pros that are seleceted. Why isnt the lead cost reduced to account for this so that the price we pay for a lead is in line with the value of the lead itself?

11 responses
revbrian
Level 8

Re: How many Pros is too many

Agreed. 

My clients have said that 3 to 5 are manageable, but 11, 12 or more is silly.

When it's more than 5, they order the quotes by cost. Lowest is favored, which makes Thumbtack a race for the bottom. Way to get plenty of unhappy customers with badly done jobs as lowest price rarely, if ever, means a "Professional" doing the job, let alone a "Top Pro"...

I AGREE 100%

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@MR this is certainly a valid point that you've made and one I've noticed from other pros as well. What ways would you recommend that we adjust this in order to be fair? You mention decreasing the lead cost per pro contacted, by how much per contact? Or would you prefer capping the number of pros that the customer can contact to start with?

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

@Kameron Both are possible solutions. Lets see what the board participants have to say as there are lots of good ideas out there.

My vote is to cap the number of pros that can be selected to say, 3. 

But, also something would need to be implemented to prevent the lead from posting 4 separate (but the same) jobs to 3 pros each for a total of 12 pros.

Thanks for the consideration.

Cap the number of pros that the customer can contact to start with!  In regards to photography, TT is completely undercutting the industry by enabling shoot and burn photographers to not charge much and still put in so much effort and time into it all.

The way TT promotes "most value" is ridiculous.  The shoot and burn Photographers charge between $150-$300, for 20 to 50 images which put them at the minimum wage range after everything is calculated.   This is then what customers think photographers should be charging!  There should be a difference between premium photographers that offer premium service vs low budget.

0 Kudos
revbrian
Level 8

@rachelalvesphot wrote:

Cap the number of pros that the customer can contact to start with!  In regards to photography, TT is completely undercutting the industry by enabling shoot and burn photographers to not charge much and still put in so much effort and time into it all.

The way TT promotes "most value" is ridiculous.  The shoot and burn Photographers charge between $150-$300, for 20 to 50 images which put them at the minimum wage range after everything is calculated.   This is then what customers think photographers should be charging!  There should be a difference between premium photographers that offer premium service vs low budget.

We had this discussion a year ir more back when it went from 5 or perhaps 7 up to at least 13 (and often more) Pro's per job.

I recall that our fellow Pro's all said it was a bad idea to increase the number of responses as when it gets that many, all the potential client does is get overwhelmed and then shop for the lowest price. Why? Because that's the headlone metric that is presented. It is then simply a race for the bottom.

As ever, Thumbtack have a expensive development team that appears to have a philosophy that means they firstly respond to a weird view of what the potential client (job poster) wants and ignores the Pros most of the time. You should get used to it as it won't change. 

Moderator Meckell

@rachelalvesphot there are a lot of other factors that go into how a pro ranks beside them promoting their business. We also take into account; pros reviews, overall profile completeness, response time, and if they have their pricing filled out or not. It all depends on the customer. Some customers do want to spend less, but there are also customers who don't mind spending more. Customers see a variety of pros and it's ultimately up to them on who they decide to hire for their project.

When it comes to putting a cap on how many pros a customer can reach out to, what do you think the cap should be? Can you elaborate more on this?

0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

I think a cap of 3 is reasonable as long as poster can't come back and choose 3 more in say a 24 hour period for same job
0 Kudos
MR
Level 10

I will add that any time there are more than 3 pros chosen, TT needs to acknowledge that the quality and viability of the lead drops quickly, and that neither side (except TT) is benifiting by this - thus lead price should drop dramatically AND all pros should be given the ability to decline the lead at NO CHARGE.

0 Kudos