Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
topic id 11582: Pricing
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 5571: Pricing
topic id 7120: Charging practices
topic id 7090: Insanity
topic id 6931: TV commercial
topic id 5713: Quote pricing / how much will I pay per quote?
topic id 5305: Website Design Pricing
topic id 3937: Unhappy with thumbtack
Highlighted
dback48
Level 5

Instant Match

I got charged $15 dollars on one contact when before I used to pay $5 dollars a quote. Plus, once they added 10 more quote per a request, it allowed horrible photographers to gouge prices below what we priced as good money for a head shot! 

States
90 responses
Thumbtack Pro and Employee DustiO
Thumbtack Pro and Employee

Re: Instant Match

@dback48 Thanks for taking the time to post this. I know at first glance there can be a bit of sticker shock - but the important thing to remember is that you are now only paying for customer contacts - for me personally, I have to send 6-7 quotes to win one job. If my quotes were costing me $5 to send before - I would be spending $30-35 to win one job, but now I am only spending $15 to win that job. I think sometimes we (at least I know I do) forget about the losses and only remember the wins. I hope this helps. 

DrJay
Level 6

I have quoted many jobs at the old $3 to $5 range and never got them.  When I was charge $15 for a quote and then again for another quote and then it hit over $50 for a few quotes with no response from the customer you get discouraged.  They look at your quote and never get back with you and you reach out but still no response?  I should be refunded because they never talked with me, I never got a chance to win the job, just the generic quote that was sent for $15?  I sent follow up messages immediately and never hear back.  If I was under the old system those same quotes would not have costed me over $50 but more like $15.  How do you answer that @DustiO???  I have spent a lot of money at the $3 quote that I never landed the job and I am okay with that, but at $15 and then don't get the job, after a few time doing that I am just throwing money away.  Other sites are looking very good to me right now. 

@DrJay I am so sorry to hear about your frustration. I get it - having been a pro for many years myself, I feel the struggle of not hearing back from customers. Can you clarify for me - you should not be charged if you aren't being contacted by the customer - or did they contact you initially and then you didn't hear anything after that? If they don't respond - or they respond with "Thanks, but I'm going a different route" or anything along those lines, there should not be a charge.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Your reviews reflect that you are obviously very good at what you do and you provide exceptional service. And you are getting hired quite a bit, so that's amazing. I looked through your profile and everything looks great. Hopefully the jobs will keep coming in - I know in my own experience that the number of jobs I get from Thumbtack will ebb and flow, but that my overall experience has always been very positive - and that the money that I have spent on Thumbtack, compared to the number of jobs I have won (and the resulting referral business from those jobs) has always reflected a great ROI.

Thank you for sticking with us, even when things don't seem to be going as well. Obviously, the goal is to get you more hires - if you don't succeed, then Thumbtack doesn't succeed. 

I hope this helps, feel free to message me and we can keep this dialogue going, I am in this with you.

MoMann
Level 5

What happen to the up front pricing?  My pricing is based on my cost for the lead. Where can I locate a pricing chart?

@MoMann Great question! If you head to your Services section and then to your Budget settings, you will see some frequently asked questions under your budget settings. Click on "How much do I pay?" where you will see the range in price for your particular category - you will also see an average price. You have control over how much you spend - once you set that budget, you will never go over it (and will sometimes not even meet it).

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Joan
Level 6

Your reply did not answer the question of how much we will pay for *this* one - it gives a range of the possible price.

@Joan Sorry if that didn't answer your question! Pricing is based on the type of contact, which we don't know until the customer contacts you... Does that make sense? ie There will be no charge if the customer says "no thanks" or anything along those lines, or doesn't reply. The value of a contact will also be different if they just ask a simple pricing question versus marking you as hired and requesting to book - different levels of intent... That range will tell you that it will never go over a certain price and it tells you what the average price is in that specific category. You also control what you spend by adjusting your budget - you will never go over your budget. In fact, if you happen to get more contacts, and those contacts would put you over your budget, those contacts would be free.

I hope this helps!

Dusti

Joan
Level 6

Now you are adding new information....if too many people contact me, then those contacts are free? Let me see if I understand...

1. I set a weekly budget of $100.
  2. The Average price for XYZ is $10 (acording to TT). with a maximum of $20
  3. I send out 50 quotes - Free
  4. 20 of them respond
    • it costs me $100
    • Quotes 1-5 cost $20 each
    • Quotes 6-20 are free?

If this is not correct, please change the numbers to be correct.

@Joan Yes, that is correct - you can keep sending out quotes, but as soon as you meet your budget from contacts, you won't be able to send out any more quotes unless you raise your budget. But any of the quotes that were sent before you met your budget are still valid and if you get contacted after your budget is exceeded, there wouldn't be a charge. (But keep in mind that budget resets each week). Does that make sense? I know it can be a little confusing, but I hope this is helping!

My advice (having been through a lot of changes myself as a pro) is to try giving it a period of time - one week, two weeks, whatever you think would give you a good picture - and set a budget you are comfortable with. Send out those quotes, and see how it goes. At the end of that time period, step back and see how it has gone, how much you have spent, how many contacts you have gotten, and then readjust as necessary.

I am happy to help with anything along the way!