Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted

Is anyone having major issues with this new system?

I am having a much harder time getting jobs than before, and I am getting charged aprroximately three times as much.   I got charged $18 for someone to tell me they couldn't afford to do it.   

I can't find any direct answers to pricing either.  Thumbtack says it's based on value?   I used to be a major fan of Thumbtack, because it was convenient.  But not it feels like they are money hungry.   Is anyone else exeperience issues?

Thumbtack, why this terrible structure change in quote and pricing?!

Occupations (1)
States
15 responses
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

Re: Is anyone having major issues with this new system?

Hi @Brinksindahouse! I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling some frustrations. I am a long time Thumbtack Pro myself and have seen a lot of changes over the years. I know that sometimes they can be difficult to navigate. One important thing to keep in mind, is that you are now only paying for customers who contact you - you are not paying for every quote that you send out. 

For me, I usually need to send out 6-7 quotes to win one job. Let's say I was paying $6 per quote, that one contact would actually cost me $42 - so now I am actually paying a little less than I was before. Does this make sense?

If you want to see the pricing for a contact - go to your services page, then click on a category and go to the budget settings, there you will see some FAQs - click on "How much do I pay?" - there you will see the range and the average for a contact in that category.

I hope this helps! Also, nice to meet another Utah Thumbtack Pro!

So what about this last contact, where I was charged 18 for him to ask me if I was available on a certain date.   I see he also reached out to 5 other people, probably to ask the same question.  Are you getting 18 from 6 pros?   Because, that is insane.   The frustration is I am getting charged with one sentance responses that are not leading to jobs.   There is very little control in this.  

Are you winning jobs with about 12 other quotes being sent at the same time?   It really just seems like what Thumbtack has done for the customer, is a rough google search for a project.   But then charging the Pro for that contact.   I would be happier when getting less quotes sent out in a smaller batch.   While still being able to send a personalized template.   What is happening now is not working.   

Another thing, I did look up the "what do I Pay" which listed anywhere from 16-56 dollars for a contact.   In Utah, there are a lot of photographers.   Most of the basic portrait photography jobs go for about 150-200 for a simple shoot because the market is so oversaturated.    That being said, we are already selling ourselves short, but to knock 16-56 off each job additionally is not functional as a business owner.   

I see that price working for a different business where the job cost is in above 500.   But this seems disproportionate and doesn't resemble "value" in my opinion.  

ajacksphotos
Level 5

Yup! Hate the new system! And I believe clients hate it too! I just posted a whole new thread on why it is so flawed. 

Wreach
Level 6

I have major issues, I have used thumbtack for over 3 years, and this new quoting and pricing system is insane. I have seriously thought about deleting my business .

Same!   It seems significantly harder to get a job, and clients I believe are being bombarded with quotes.   The point of Thumbtack was to make it easy, and personalized.   It feels a bitter overwhelming to receive 12+ quotes the second after you click send on your project.    

It feels much less personal.   I would rather reach out to each job (where I feel I am likely to be a great fit for them) and be charged for that, than having someone message me who I know is not a good fit, an THEN be charged.  

Me too.   I was enjoying it so much until this change.   How am I going to compete with 15 quotes being autoboted to a customer and make them feel like I am personalizing to them?  

Wreach
Level 6

I made a Facebook page for my business, ( its free un less you boost posts) my customers have been great to share any information I put on there.
0 Kudos

I'm a top Pro and haven't booked a job via Thumbtack in 2018. I rigorously studied the system and realized that it offers no value to the client. Clients see a price and a list of non-sense, i.e. lighting equipment, etc but don't know anything about me or how I work. That's Thumbtack's idea of a quote ? Perhaps this system works well with servics that aren't customized; for photogrpahy, it's a farce.

Hey Thumbtack - the question to keep in mind is this "Are we adding value to the client ?" and in this case you have two clients.