Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
PastorHoward
Level 6

Dealing with high fees and price shopping clients

I also have started quoting higher fees which has a tendency to weed out "price shoppers" and I have the option to make fee adjustments with serious clients. Finally, I no longer book any client without a non-refundable deposit after experiencing too many last minute cancellations which makes me believe that we were on the books as a backup while more price shopping went on.

Getting rid of the auto generated messages

One thing that has been very annoying is the feature of having prospective clients send an automated message. It seems very insincere and shows that they are not really interested. An example of this is yesterday, I got a message asking for my estimate. Honestly that is unacceptable as they can see what my estimate is for my services. I am not going to somehow change my rate because they just asked. I wasn't charged as it was one of those "not a charge unless I respond". But I have been charged in the past for clients who did that and just never responded to messages for weeks.

I think if they are doing automated responses, there should be no charge to the professional as that shows little care in the service a customer is looking at. I know when I am looking at buying something through a marketplace of some sort, I don't send an automated message, I will generally ask more about the service as it is an investment of my time and my time is valuable. If a customer cannot value someone's time they shouldn't be using the service in the first place.

DJStevie
Level 12

Re: Getting rid of the auto generated messages

@RoadToStrength

I know what you mean. It's been my argument with Thumbtack for several weeks now. I turned off Promote because I was receiving many generic replies and getting charged for some of them as well. A rep via phone asked me to try Promote against my better judgement, and I got charged. I had to pay it after couple of weeks of trying to get a refund because in their eye "It's not in their refund policy" Yet, their rep told me to try it.

I tried for couple of weeks now telling reps that pros shouldn't be charged until we reply to customer. After all, we should at least see their profile first to see if they are a good fit for us, not have Thumbtack decide that for us. I've been discussing with several reps about this and other issues, but it seems like they avoid to answer many questions.

There shouldn't be automated replies. Why can't they take the time to write even just a one paragraph request to us, to show us that they are interested. But Thumbtack says an automated/generic reply is showing that the customer is interested. Really? But I think that they will keep this new format because there are very very few pros who like it, and Thumbtack feels that if it works for those few, it will work for the majority who are angered about a format that was fixed for not being broken. Our cries aren't being heard, no matter who the pro is. We can't even reply to the CEO Thanksgiving message, I've got my thoughts on that message and they aren't that great..

Personally I have mentioned providing a rating system for them just like there is a rating system for us. That way it protects us from those who aren't serious but are causing us to be charged. They said they would "consider it" but obviously that hasn't worked. I turned off my instant match because honestly spending money on non-serious people to me is a waste of my money/resources. My job is helping people, and if I cannot help people because someone decides to just send me a blank message then TT is also providing a diservice to those seeking help.

DJStevie
Level 12

I turned off match too. I'm not spending money for every customer who likes to click on an automated reply.
They told me same thing when I suggested couple of things. Their response, "we'll consider it" or "we passed on your feedback" But no proof of that. They are just pacifying me, and I have just about had it. I like your suggestion. Too bad they didn't implement it.

Same here, I turned off instant match a while back. The kicker is though that barely anything remains in my "jobs" feed since most users are having their requests filled quickly with auto-match so there's nothing left to bid on. When I do get notifications on my phone, if I don't click on them immediately, the job is closed when I do click a half hour later. I guess TT is basically dead for me now.

It really worked great for that couple months period between when they changed their quoting system to when instant match started. Instant match just ruined it completely.

Highlighted
Cyndi-Via
Level 5

I asked for TT to let me see the statistics on instant messages vs full form fill out... can anyone guess what I got???? I explained that I (the one that keeps them working) should be able to base my decision on using the service ...now called Promote... on facts and figures. T tell us that auto messages is better because it brings in more potental customers, I have stated many times yes but they are not serious "buyers"! I have lost more money to "Are you available" + sounds great whats next, ect... serious buers do not mind filling out the information, lookers use auto service. We should be able to see what TT tells us OUR CUSTOMERS want! This will never happen because it raises TT revenues more than it does ours. All I ask is show me the proof that it works for the Pros!!

T_height
Level 4

Re: Let’s talk about how you rank in search results

Why can't you get rid of the automated responses. If potential clients are really interested in hiring us they should be willing to write message us in their on words. Too many times I've had customers say they didn't mean to send that message and those pre-built messages you've created doesn't always relate to my business and I've answered questions within my profile that I'm getting asked over. I receive the same message at least 5-6 times consecutively and never hear back from the customers after they usually ask when is my next availability.

fitcap
Level 7

GOOD POINT T_height !
Gregglw5
Level 5

Awesome point, and the worst part of it is you're getting charged for absolutely nothing.....

0 Kudos