Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
ExcaliburSH
Level 6

Lead Costs

I know this has been asked and addressed but I think its worth bringing up again. When a customer reaches out to me I get the lead price before I accept or decline. That gives me the option to decide if the lead makes sense for me to take based on what I charge for a respective service.

When the leads are put in my jobs queue I have to guess the average of what the lead my cost me based on other leads I have bid on. I should be able to see the cost of the leads for all jobs before I bid. I have leads as low as $10 and then max out at $29 for the exact same job.

If Thumbtack is going to arbitrarily assign values then those values should be upfront on both leads we bid on and those that are given when a customer reaches out. What fair is fair. I rarely complain and actually defend and promote this platform.

Secondly, These small autoreplies that customers give are becoming unacceptable. If I put in a bid and a customer replies, "Next availability" that isnt a conversation!!!! Thumbtack needs to find a better way to do this. And it always seems to be a bunch of small leads that start adding up at the end of the week.

Many of us are small businesses and every pennie counts when you have a lot of online referral services, and due to this economy, a lot of small business popping up. 

When the dust settles and businesses start closing shop, Thumbtack is going to need all the business it gets.  I have started putting marketing in other lead generators that are giving better business practices. This platform has come along way and continues to grow but dont wait till everyone leaves to make these small changes.

thanks

Larry

Excalibur

Occupations (1)
States
29 responses
cranichik
Level 8

Re: Lead Costs

In the jobs queue, there is a link to find out the cost. It is right under the map of the job poster. 

You'll only pay if the customer responds. See how much:

Highlighted
cranichik
Level 8

My problem with lead costs is that I can't get anyone at thumbtack to explain to me why a lead for cat sitting will cost me $5.31 to respond, when the job itself only pays $15 per day, for one visit, which is what a cat visit entails, and usually 1-2 days, typically weekend pet sitting. And then there are the ghosts.........so I will just lose my money.

Whenever I post this question, it doesn't get answered, and gets buried in the middle of some other discussion weeks or months old.

cranichik 9-8-2019

GownsByG
Level 4

I second your comments.  Today i got a request to embroider a name on a beach towel for which a customer would expect to pay $15 at most but TT wanted $8.61!!!! Why would i want to accept this lead for a job that will take more than an hour to do?

ts
Level 1

The cost of leads is getting too high. I am started to tell people how much the lead is costing me so they understand why my estimate is high.  I do mostly landscaping and there are various job titles customers can choose. Grass cutting and weeding is under $10, but then  Smaller Changes (trim trees or mulch) is in the $20s, but then heaven forbid they chose Complete Renovation and it jumps to $75 !  I have noticed that very rarely do any landscapers bid on these jobs. $75 is alot to lose if you dont get the job. And if you do get the job it might only demand $300 worth of work, which means TT is getting 25%.  So either I am not going to earn as much profit, or I will have to turn around and charge the customer more which might scare them away.     On the other hand all the TT customers who are checking off that box are probably upset because no one is showing interest in the jobs they are posting.  There are many of these jobs that I would dersire to obtain, but not at the risk and cost of $75.   So if Thumbtack kept their fees down more people would be getting their projects completed and more Pros would be responding and earning money.  Why does Thumbtack need so much money for a lead?  I am the one working in 90 degree weather getting sweaty and dirty and exhausted, not them.

But when Thumbtack does work out I thoroughly enjoy the customers. Most are very nice people who offer me cold drinks, snacks, their bathroom, and most give me tips as well.  So I don't mind paying Thumbtack for connecting me to them, but let's keep the rate reasonable and practical so both customer and Pro are happy.

Do the customers know ahead of time how much the Pro will pay for their Lead?  They should. If it is an expensive one I request that the customer not reply back to me unless they are seriously interested because I dont want to pay for someone who is just browsing.  Which brings me to another point.... Why dont the customers have to pay a fee? To ensure they are serious. Even a small fee of $4 per posting would deter most people from wasting our Pro time. Maybe they get half that back once they hire someone, idk what system would work best. 

I really wish customers would include photos, because it is hard to give estimates without seeing the site. People post they need weeding... well are there 10 weeds or 2000? Are they 4 inches tall or 2 feet tall? Does it cover one flower bed that is 4'x 20' or cover 3 acres? How are we supposed to give estimates?  That is why I have switched to an hourly rate but this scares people I think.  $30 per hour does sound like a lot I admit for weeding. But if I drive 30 minutes to your home and in 3 hours clear out all the weeds in your flower beds and driveway and curb, filling 5 of my own contractor trash bags, isnt that worth $90 ?   But people dont see it that way, they get scared of the high price per hour I think.     One time I went to get rid of weeds for a gentleman in a vacant city lot. I took my gas Echo string trimmer/weed wacker and it could handle the thick growth he had.  So I had to rent a Brush Cutter and go back with that. So estimating is hard if you have never been to the site. But at the same time, it is not economically practical or efficient for me to drive all over doing live estimates because most of my jobs are under $200.

Thanks for reading this.     

besthiking1
Level 1

Re: Paymentl

How much does each lead cost? There is no information on their website.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

Re: Paymentl

@besthiking1 pros pay a different amount for each lead based on whether the job is more or less valuable. The exact cost varies based on things like the type of job, size of the job, number of pros available, and how serious the customer is. 

Pros can get an idea of what leads cost by checking their budget tool. I went to take a look at yours, but right now it appears as though you've only signed up under a customer account. To sign up as a pro you can follow the steps here: Sign up as a pro.

Ariel
Level 4

Payments

Thumbtack charged me a lot of time for leads that never heard back and not even hired me. I think this is not fair because we are loosing money for nothing. And I tryed a lot of times to dispute these charges with them and they don’t even answer and if they did, the answer is oh sorry but you are not qualified for refund 😡

Re: Payments

How much did you spend?

0 Kudos
Ariel
Level 4

Re: Payments

$37 dollars
0 Kudos