Highlighted

Price per Lead is Too High and Not Enough Info is Given by the Customer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I provide tutoring and editing services. When a lead comes in, the price is about $13 and yet I have no clue what the potential client is willing to spend. Sometimes after I purchase the lead, they want to spend $15 and it takes one hour of time on the phone to figure out what they really need. Thus, I am working hard to make $2 for the hour. Why not make it a must that a client put in their maximum spending budget so we know if it is even worth buying the lead. Clients should also have to put more details into their messages. What good is a client saying I need help with a project. The clients must provide as much details as possible. I hardly use Thumbtack as I spend over $300 a month for leads and 100% of them are worthless, price shopping leads, as well as, phony leads where no one responds back to you after you purchased the leads.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Price per Lead is Too High and Not Enough Info is Given by the Customer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

Hi.  I am very much with you on this.  One thing I do to help is never provide a dollar amount in my response - the system allows you to have "N/A" in that field.  I have a template response asking for more detailed information and photos of the damage so I can provide a cost estimate and scheduling timetable (I do welding repairs).  Yes I still pay for those leads in the first place so this doesn't really help that aspect.  I also set my spend budget near the lowest allowable range and turn off targeting.  Many Pros have commented that turning off targeting actually results in MORE opportunities and reduced cost.  I am sure there are other strategies you can learn from more experienced Pros than me. 

Highlighted

Re: Lead Costs

Community Regular
Best Answer
Literally everything I deal with on bids. I get the “well I’m going to shop around” after I give a quote and get charged. It’s such a joke. I got a lead for an out of town move for $50 and the lady marked it wrong cause all she wanted was someone to load her uhaul. Then cancelled the project after I was charged! So unbelievably frustrating.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Expert
Best Answer

@BigPun If a customer contacts you about a job that’s drastically different from the original lead, like in the example you gave, save the details and dispute the charge. You can dispute a charge by taking the following steps: 

1. Go to your Payments.
  2. Click Help with a charge above your payment history.
  3. Choose a payment period from the drop-down menu.
  4. Select the lead for the charge in question.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Select the reason you need help with the charge.
  7. Follow the prompts to share details about the charge.
Give me a 'Kudo' if you find this post helpful or mark 'Best Answer' if it answers your question.

Active Community Member
Best Answer

So, I JUST got a 'lead' in Opportunities for a job that's marked as 'Under $250'.

The lead costs $26.75!!!!

That's over 10%!!

And if just 3 Pros bids then TT is taking in OVER 32% of the job cost. Without the assurance that the requestor will even use ANYONE that bids.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to pay more than $10 for something this small.

Seriously overpriced.

Highlighted

Active Community Member
Best Answer

And another one showed up.

Under $250 budget, but want 4 hours of photo coverage for a quinceañera with 'physical prints'.

To begin with, my quote for that would be $280 WITHOUT PRINTS. And another $70 for full digitals.

Then the 'pièce de résistance' was that the lead was going to cost $35.64, 14% of the listed budget.

Another lead that was MAYBE worth $10.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Lead pricing all over the place!

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
I've been using TT for a few years now, really for side work. I liked the way it used to be, before the change. Now, unless I autopay for leads I pretty much only get leads in other states! Occasionally I get one here. My main issue is, I want to pick and choose what leads I take, and it seems as though whoever is responsible for coming up with prices has absolutely NO IDEA what goes into elecrical work. A job that may take only an hour is priced at over $20 while a job that takes days is sometimes less than $10! Who makes these prices? Also, it should be required that the clients write a detailed description of the work to be done. It's very difficult, at least in the electrical field, to give an estimate with no info.
Highlighted

Fees

Community Regular
Best Answer

Really getting frustrated with how I am charged and how the fees keep changing for wedding photography.  I clicked on an opportunity and if they looked it would be 99.00 .  I thought it was a rip off at 63.00.  I have spent over 900.00 in a month.  I have 3 weddings booked.  I have a friend who works with me and she uses the same price range basically same styles .  So in the beginning of the week I had lots of opportunities.  Then by Wednesday 2.  I live by St Louis.  My friend with the exact same postings sees 10.  

Also getting frustrated with people being able to price shop ...9 photographers at a time at a rate of 63.00 .  When questioned a lady replied, " Well, we got you in front of them". So with no response they are getting close to 600.00 and I'm pay 63 a pop.  

*post merged to existing conversation by moderator on 03/16/2020*