Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
lkelsey
Level 4

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
Just like others have responded, we aren't satisfied with the pricing nor with the return on value we receive. In order to keep up with thumbtack pricing, I have to charge more to the customer and no one responds for that. The prices I offer are already low and to charge $30-$40 for a client is ridiculous. Now the price has decreased but it still isn't worth it. Instead of charging the pro just for someone sending a message is ridiculous. You have several potentials that send everyone a message. How about charging when we are hired? Charge them $5 to make sure they are real or how about a better screening process to ensure they are serious. I have even asked before that you require more questions to be answered before the quote even goes out. Quotes without info most likely are dead end. All quotes should come with messages for specifics on what they really need.
ambersexton
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I just feel like it never feels anything other than random. Back when I bought credits it quickly became not worth it to bid on bartending jobs because so many people wanted them and it was hard to get the bid in on time and it turned out many of the jobs were fake. Then when it became pay upon response, it also made me pay for people who just come on thumbtack to pump bartenders for drink recipes and amounts to purchase for their parties. I have disabled that profile because it just became a way for supposed clients to rob me. I've gotten three days of work that I paid definitely almost that entire amount of money into the system for over time. Thumbtack is fired for trying to get party jobs.

For my petsitting services I do get real clients and the price I've paid for the jobs I get seems worth it. Paying $8 for a person who corresponds once and never hires me feels like a ripoff. It never won't feel like that. I don't know how to fix this. I have turned off autoquote because of the lack of control of the money going out for jobs I don't want to take or on days I can't do.

andrew_kamen
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Two words: SUBSCRIPTION MODEL.

Thumbtack's userbase would grow exponentially if they utilized a yearly subscription model where freelancers can pay a one time fee to apply to an unlimited number of jobs. Websites like StaffMeUp.com use this system and it works flawlessly. 

Instead of jobs "costing credits" ... the jobs are all essentially open to the public to apply to. If you've signed up for a subscription, you're then allowed to submit a cover letter, and "boost" your application (something that users who haven't purchased a subscription are not permitted to do). 

You're then showed what you rank, and whether or not your application has been viewed/flagged/etc.

Many of us here on Thumbtack would be much more willing to pay, say, $150 for a year of unlimited job applications then for a handful of credits that may or may not lead to a customer reply. Please get rid of the credit system and replace it with a subscription model. Thanks! 

Tiny
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I think you have gotten enough negative responses to this question that you know you're doing something wrong.

The general consensus is to lower the price per quote. Make it consistant and fair based on the job to be done (7.5 to 10% of the quote). Lower the number of pros who can respond (get rid of "Instant Match"). Allow Bids to be meaningful. Bring back TEMPLATES!

If you make a few simple changes, the customer knows this vendor is available for their date and the quote specifics at a glance. Don't make them or the vendor have to click on anything to get the quote details!

Vendor Name is available for you project!
(See profile and reviews) (I)
Total Price $$
Base Price $$
Includes:
Consultation
Officiating ceremony
Sharing sample scripts

Add-ons
Be present at rehearsal $

Date and Time
Fri, June 8, 2018
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT

I want to introduce myself to the customer, so using the templates (quickly and easily) allows me to send a introduction message to each potential customer when I send the quote (not after). This should be changed regardless of any other changes you make.

Figure out a way to charge the vendor based on legitimate interest from the customer. Get rid of the misleading contacts from customers (Pre-filled "Contact your Pro" responses). If every Thumbtack customer has to provide a verified e-mail and phone number to request bids then providing that information to the vendor when making a request for services is a possible indication of the customer's true interest.

Hello Vendor please contact me at: customer@verifiedemail.com or call me at verified phone number between resonable times during the day or evening.

I would look forward to paying for a lead like that!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Solved! Jump to solution
Thumbtack use to be my primary platform for business. Unfortunately I’ve had to drop them because of the pricing. I was a top pro and depended on thumbtack to provide a life for my family. I can’t depend on them anymore. Go back to how it use to be. 3 dollars just to talk to the person. I can’t do it anymore I’m out of business with the high pricing. Stop being like home advisor, it’s greedy. Also thumbtack provides no protection against hostile clients that leave false reviews. Make a way to at least give the clients reviews so that others no to stay away.
AVP
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

So far, TT has removed two of my posts (see below).

They simultaneously thank me for my contribution and delete my post. Hmm...

Anyhow, I have offered suggestions, voiced my frustration, and pointed out what most everyone else has in this conversation - overwhelming dissatisfaction with the service we are paying for. How about letting us be frustrated and not deleting posts? I certainly didn’t bash on anyone here. I am merely making what I feel is a productive suggestion and focusing on a solution.

Reason:Removed Post in "Let's talk about pricing"
Explanation:Your recent post was removed for violating our Community Guidelines. The Thumbtack Community is a place for pros to learn how to get the most out of Thumbtack, with support and encouragement from other pros. We welcome criticism and want this to be a place where you can share honest feedback. However, conversations should stay productive and focused on solutions. Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks again for your contribution.
KevinDavis
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

Similar to those that have posted before... I used to use Thumbtack consistently and was a TopPro. I went from booking 10-25% of my quotes to 2-5%, making it cost probitive. I had noticed, and complained before leaving Thumbtack that there were too many requests that were not serious inquiries or individuals that posted numerous quote requests.

There has to be some sort of tiered system, where initial inquiries cost significantly less, and if a job is verified as booked (confirmed by both the client and professional) then there is an additional job.

I don't mind paying for inquiries, but not if it costs the same as the person who ends up getting the gig.

magicmikecat
Level 5

A perfect solution

Solved! Jump to solution
I am tired of reading over and over on here about the pricing policy and no real solutions - but I have one! Please reply to this below and if enough of us get onboard maybe someone will listen!

Right now I get charged $20 for a client contact/conversation starter - I have gotten sarcastic replies and still charged $20 (I email Thumbtack for a review/refund but get absolutely no response back) - so how about this - instead of charging me/us a full fee just to start a conversation - charge us 20-25% and the balance only if/when the client “Marks as hired” - so for a $20 job fee I get charged $5 once the person reaches out and starts a conversation and the remaining $15 only if I land the job - I am happy to pay $20 if I actually get something out of it and ok with a $5 fee to try and land it - we make money and Thumbtack makes money.

Thoughts/comments?
AVP
Level 6

Re: A perfect solution

Solved! Jump to solution

Magic mike at...

Good suggestion however, I can’t/won’t bid on a project unless I have a solid understanding of its parameters and the clients budget. I’m quit flexible and can generally work within a realistic cost schedule.

0 Kudos
Tpt_1002
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

It is unreasonable to tell us AFTER we have quoted what the price will be. No one goes out and buys something only to learn after it was purchased what the price was. But that is exactly what you are asking the pros to do. I loved Thumbtack when you used credits....90% of my wedding officiant services came from Thumbtack and I quickly become a Top Pro. Not anymore! I refuse to use a system that 1. has no set price and 2. tells me the price only after I have quoted. I now advertise with a competitor and 90% of my business comes from them. Basically, you have lost my business due to this pricing system.  I responded to someone who indicated they were hiring me, it cost me $19.20 and then they decided to "go in another direction"...I suspect it was a competitor trying to find out what the competition was charging on Thumbtack. Absurd!!!! Under the old system it only cost me a few dollars when a competitor did that. 

Thanks but no thanks....until this system gets fixed, I am not participating.