Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I just found out that you guys are not notifying people when you bill their credit cards. I contacted customer service and they told me that you guys don't do this anymore because the pdf's of past charges can found in our accounts "after" we have been billed. That destroys any trust I had with Thumbtack. Anyone who has been billed and their cards charged without notifcation should imediately delete their credit card on file and contact their credit card company to have those charges removed. I don't think this should even be legal. Charging people with any noticiation at all. Awful.

Amoi
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
To me, it makes sense only to have to pay if I actually get hired for a job. Being charged a percentage of my fee as a service fee for the lead makes sense. But paying for leads that lead nowhere makes absolutely no sense. I just ignore Thumbtack altogether right now.

The old system of paying to send quotes was also idiotic. I would pay to send quotes just to find that people aren’t serious or don’t know what they want.

If someone hires me on Thumbtack, paying a service fee when they send their initial payment makes sense. Thumbtack gets a cut for the lead and then retaining that client will be my job after that.
Hammerhead
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

@Amoi wrote:
To me, it makes sense only to have to pay if I actually get hired for a job. Being charged a percentage of my fee as a service fee for the lead makes sense. But paying for leads that lead nowhere makes absolutely no sense. I just ignore Thumbtack altogether right now.

The old system of paying to send quotes was also idiotic. I would pay to send quotes just to find that people aren’t serious or don’t know what they want.

If someone hires me on Thumbtack, paying a service fee when they send their initial payment makes sense. Thumbtack gets a cut for the lead and then retaining that client will be my job after that.

Exactly!! I have to write back to a prospect to find out what they really need done because the pre-entered criteria doesn't tell me squat! So, the prospect may write back to say something  that again makes no sense and I have to pay $75 for that! I'm not even following up on "leads" anymore and won't until Thumbtack starts charging the customer instead of the professional!

0 Kudos
SeanWalsh
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
“Our goal at Thumbtack is to help customers find the right pros and hire them.“

There is your problem right there. If we, the pros, aren’t the customer then why are you charging us? We are the customer and you are helping us find clients. Your entire understanding of your business model is upside down.
Hammerhead
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

@SeanWalsh wrote:
“Our goal at Thumbtack is to help customers find the right pros and hire them.“

There is your problem right there. If we, the pros, aren’t the customer then why are you charging us? We are the customer and you are helping us find clients. Your entire understanding of your business model is upside down.

Excellent point! Now the "kudos" button doesn't work! Typical Thumbtack!

AEHoerl
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

The official silence in the face of nearly 1,500 posts from various pros is, quite honestly, difficult for me to fathom.

Of course, I suppose such a deafening silence is an answer of sorts to all the questions that have been asked in this thread.

Well, I've heard you loud and clear, Thumbtack. Count me as another Top Pro who has just deactivated all my services. Perhaps if things change, I can return in the future. 

Pricing/No Quotes Sent

Solved! Jump to solution

In regards to quotes, I am a painter, it seems that the quote submission pricing is based on square footage of a job listing and location. Problem is that most people are unaware of how to take the square footage of a room that they are planning on painting and often times are just fishing to find out how much it would cost to have a room painted that they have wanted to have done for some time. I think the client should have some sort of template or sq. footage chart to gauge their job on to properly submit the correct square footage for a project as the quote price depends on it, and seeing as how 95% of clients are unaware that we pro's pay for the leads, I think it is important that they get that right. 

Secondly, I notice a lot of job listings with 0 pro's contacted and it seems that the listing expires before any pro submits a quote. That is bad for Thumb Tack and bad for us pro's. Because if clients post projects and never get a quote they will get discouraged and most likely not refer the sight or not come back. I have noticed a lot of the paint quotes are in more dangerous neighborhoods that go without pro's contacting. I think if a listing is about to expire that thumb tack should offer Top Pro's in the area a few quote submission, or a nice discount to avoid that listing going unquoted. It's a win win, because I would not have submitted on that quote based on the area it's in, or because I am busy on another job and cannot risk paying for a quote only to encounter a schedule conflict, but it the quote was free or at a great discount, I would be more prone to submitting a quote which would only benefit everyone, the client will get the job done and be more likely to use thumb tack again and refer thumb tack, and I will get a job that I otherwise may not have submitted a quote for. 

Also, I agree with another Pro about clients having profiles for us to review. Because I had very good reviews for the past 2 years based on my work and my work ethic, then last week I responded to an instant match, was charge $65 for a quote simply to reply to a quote. I then got a bit of buyers remorse because the quote was outside my driving preference but I felt obligated to respond to the inquiry, so I mentioned to the client that I we pro's pay for quotes and could he please inform me if he decided to move forward with the project or choose not to have the work done or done outside of thumb tack. He got angry at that, and based on my one single message, without even hiring me or talking more in depth, he gave me a 1 star review. It was crushing and incredibly deflating. After 2 years of working my tail off to establish 44 five star reviews, this guy comes along and overshadows all that hard work, simply based on one little message I sent. Thumb tack refused to take the review down as not to offend the client. Thumb tack feels that it is more important not to offend a client by taking down an unwarranted review, then to go to bat for it's pro's, the ones who literally pay to keep thumb tack afloat. That was a hard blow, and I wish I could rate that reviewer in response to his review about me. I understand the policy is apparently black and white, but to not even get hired yet still receive a negative review is a very hard pill to swallow, expecially considering I still paid $65 for the quote submission. So, not only did I not get the job, but I paid $65 for that guy to give me a 1 star review, simply because I asked if he was still moving forward with the project. There definitely seems to be some flaws in that area, and I believe each case should be considered subjectively and having all angles taken into consideration, not a black and white policy that favors the non paying customer who created a listing, over the dedicated, loyal pro who is on the front lines representing Thumb Tack. I don't feel the love and loyalty and and appreciation and it is offensive to me that thumb tack chooses to side with the client posting the listing simply because they do not want to offend them by taking down their unwarranted 1 star review

Thanks!

Kedokedo6990
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I think it is unfair for us Pros to have to pay if someone makes a mistake in contacting us and they don't even ask questions about a job even if they make a mistake and messaging us we still have to pay I think that is unfair

Solved! Jump to solution
The new pricing model is ridiculous. I spend way to much money trying to book jobs. Most times I waste money because I don’t get hired and am charged anyways. When I called customer support to get answers they didn’t have any for me. Things are getting out of hand for the professionals and making it hard to make money.
0 Kudos
JimC
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm not a big fan of your current pricing format.  Consequently, my use of Thumbtack has declined.  When I first started using Thumbtack and purchased credits I knew exactly how much I was spending and how much each "bid" was going to cost.  Not so much any more.  My biggest gripe with the current pricing model is that in my profession many times customers will misdiagnose their problem meaning that my submitted bid is no longer accurate but I'm still charged by Thumbtack based on a misdiagnosed problem.

For example as an owner of a pest control company, who specailizes in bedbug work, Thumbtack will charge on average $25.00+ for a bid.  This is acceptable since my charge can absorb this fee if the problem is truly bedbug related.  However,  on more than one occassion where a client thinks he has bedbugs and it subsequently turns out to be spiders or carpet beetles my fee has to be reduced considerably and now my "Thumbtack Overhead" is now 30%-40%. 

My suggestion would be to go back to the original pricing model.  As for now I'm reducing my usage of Thumbtack and may go the way of three friends that used to use Thumtack but have since left.  As for recommending Thumtack to other vendors, I still will but with the caveat that it has become very pricy and to look elsewhere for a better pricing model.   

0 Kudos