Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

Everything is confusing about Thumbtack pricing at this point.  We are very disillusioned with the way things are being done and not just the pricing.

One of our problems with Thumbtack is that changes are made all the time to the website without notifying the pros that you're doing it.  How is that helpful to ua when every time we log in we can't find what we're used to working with.  We have no way of knowing if the pros have had any input into the changes, and for about a year now we feel as though we have not benefitted from the changes being made.

Secondly, how can you determine what's of greater value or lesser value to us?  That should be determined by us.  We found it so much easier when we were charged a flat fee (as strange as they were).  We could live more easily with an increase in the price of quotes across the board than we can with what appears to be the willy-nilly way it seems to be done currently. 

We also feel weI shouldn't be charged for a quote when a someone simply asks a question.  We understood that those contacts were going to be screened and we wouldn't be charged for that type of thing.  Recently we have been charged for someone contacting us and asking a question that eliminated us from being hired and then we were charged for the quote.  That has happened on two other occasions as well.  So we want to be clear - are we going to be charged for every interaction, whether it leads to a job or not?  If that's the case, we're going to have to stop doing business as pros on Thumbtack.  We have a very small business and can't afford to pay for quotes that don't lead to work.

Thank you for listening.

Butch & Kathy St. Jacques

Solved! Jump to solution
When I called customer support they told me that as long as the customer doesn’t just reply and say no thank you, we would be charged.
0 Kudos
arjr46
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

The cost of each lead varies based on factors like the type of job, the size of the job, the number of pros available, and the customer’s interest.

i a few jobs that were the same but diff prices........u still have not explain   

•  (explain) You pay a different amount for each lead based on whether we believe the job is more valuable or less valuable. (explain)
  •  (explain) The cost of each lead varies based on factors like the type of job, the size of the job, the number of pros available, and the customer’s interest. (explain)
  •  (explain) If we don’t have enough pros in a market to meet customer needs, you might even get the lead for free. (explain)

Solved! Jump to solution

Vinamrata,

Thumbtack is not what it used to be and it was never as good as it could have been.  When it used to cost me $3.33 to quote a job I would take a chance and quote a lot more that I do now.  You have my cost now up to just under $11.00 to quote and the majority of my jobs are in the $85.00 range.  Here is the problem:  Thumbtack does a very poor job of qualifing the potential customer.  I AM A LOCKSMITH, before I can quote an automotive job, I need to know the Make, Model, and Year of the vehicle.  You do not get that info for me up front so I need to ask that of the customer before I can quote.  In the past if the key or the fob or the auto lock was "dealer only"  I would only lose $3.33 if I could not do the job.  Now, just to ask the question costss me close to $11.00.  I will be darned if I will pay $11.00 to get the answer to a question that should have been a pre-condition to the customer request in the first place.  I have dicussed this with Thumbtack customer service twice in the past to no avail.  I pass on quoting many jobs due to this one fact.  Some customers are bright enough to include this basic info in their request but many are not.  Thumbtack should be asking this very basic question for right up front.

The same holds true for "replace lock system".  Am I swapping out existing hardware or am I drilling holes in doors to add hardware for the first time?  Pay $11.00 bucks to find out, I guess.  The list goes on.

HERE IS WHAT I WOULD REALLY LIKE:  Allow me the same privilage you allow the customer.  The customer has the right to decline my service once we have made contact, ALLOW ME TO DECLINE THE JOB AT NO COST TO ME AFTER THE INITIAL CONTACT.  Half the customers are ony tire kickers anyway with no intention of doing these jobs, they are only checking prices.

I have to tell you, at $11.00 a quote pretty much everything has to be disclosed in the initial request or I pass on the quote.  

Tom Cason

JMJ locksmith,  Groton, MA 01450  978-807-9740

PageOne
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I think the following recomends would benefit both Thumbtack & the Pro.

• I want to know upfront what the cost per quote/job. We use to get a reciept per purchase sent to our email. this should return.
  • Total transparency of the cost we pay ONLY if we are granted the work by the client.
  • $5 - $8 per job hired. Any higher then we must pass on to the client and it becomes to high. We don't get hired nd you dont make sales.
  • If the cost were more in line with what customers can afford I would try the Instant Match. Charging the pro for only jobs hired.
Tschuette
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
What you charge is all over the price, No rhyme or reason. I can get a lead for a wedding and they want to pay $250-$1,000 (they check 3 different pricing) and one time it would cost me $40.64 and the next time it is $62.46, this is to much to pay for someone that only wants our service for $250.00 and want you there for 5 t0 11 hours, not to mention the work that goes into it after the wedding is over. You have all kinds of events listed as weddings. Weddings and events are two different things. It is as if you don't know the going rate is for the services that is being requested. If someone one is just conducting a search they are only price comparing and just want to know if the person they are considering pricing is reasonable to what other people are offering the same thing. Sometimes the part of what their budget is and if they are just searching, need more info or ready hire is is not put on the request. So it is hard to know what to bid or if they are really serious about hiring a pro.
Debbies
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I don’t like being charged weekly. I would rather buy credits and bid on jobs when I really want the work not pay a set fee weekly.  I haven’t had any business from thumbtack in  quite awhile. Now I ont even see any jobs being posted for pet otters and dog walkers.

xc
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Since you have changed your pricing, I am unable to send quotes to new customers. It is way too expensive. I started out with Thumbtack quoting at $3.34. The yohumoved on to $5 a quote. This pricing fit my wallet better.

The newest pricing tripled and took me right out of your pricing market. Are you planning on going back to a more reasonable pricing? It would be wonderful if you did that. I would then be able to keep my small business alive.

I look forward to hearing your response.

Kindest Regards,
Xuxa Chaves
Highlighted
Luvie
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Change is sometimes hard to accept. I have a carpet cleaning business and was more comfortable when I knew it cost $5 to purchase a lead and had control to purchase the lead or not. With the changes made the costs have gone up for me and I feel the control I once had has diminished. I'll keep evaluating whether I'll stay being a thumbtack service provider or not in the months ahead. Thank you.
HeatherRaeWi
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I honestly feel there should be two different pricing algorithms - one for when a client actually books with said vendor & and another for a potentially interested client who stops responding/changes their mind/never books. I have talked to handfuls of interested clients with zero bookings. This is due to a number of variables including, but not limited to, pricing, availability and lack of commitment in their request. This is extremely frustrating as it is a waste of not only my time and theirs, but it is over-priced as my turn-around now is less than 30%.

I have been contemplating completing eliminating this platform all together. The money spent every month is truly not worth the business I’m getting; and is definitely not worth the time I’ve spent quoting/communicating with clients who are not serious.

One possible idea is to allow vendors to put an expiration date on their quote. This is done on almost all professional quotes and it let’s the client know this offer will not be around forever. We need more customization! This auto-generated quote option just does not work for my business. Every single package is completely customized to their individual needs. Therefore, the quote generated is usually extremely low (or way too high) and they are shell shocked when they find out the real pricing.

I truly believe vendors on Thumbtack should not be charged if said client does not book. If anything, it should be a greatly smaller fee for the mere fact of exposure. Without the booking, money (and time) is simply being wasted. I would be greatly inclined to quote more clients given the pricing changed. As of right now, unless something were to significantly change, I will highly likely be deleting my account.