Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Community Regular
Best Answer

At first, Thumbtack was an affordable way to fill in empty spots in my schedule.  For my industry, I have yet to win a bid that is close to my or my industry's current pricing for my region.  As a photographer in the area I live, permits and business licenses for every municipality are required.  Its expensive to run a business here but it was cool when I had quiet months to bid.  Its important to understand that people looking for business on here almost never know (or care) that professionals are paying to bid so it means NOTHING to them if they don't respond.  I rarely bid on weddings.  Someone looking for a photographer on THUMBTACK 2 years down the road, isn't a serious inquiry. I can only assume that your pricing is based on invented assumption of what a photographer should make. I am NOT Wal-Mart.  I was extrememly calculated about my bids.  Don't get me wrong, I had some incredible clients, but there were too many times where there was no response or I wasted time on someone that wasn't serious.

The final straw for me was the LAST bid I made.  I didn't fully understand the new pricing stategy (rape). Yep, RAPE. I would never NEVER NEVERRRRRRRRRR spent $35 on a bid for ANYTHING. It was a multi-day business conference they were looking to spend $1800.  The only reason I even bid was because it was during a down time in my schedule and sometimes less money is better than no money. Oh...and the best part. I didn't get the job and the potentional client didn't even have the nuts to let me know after I had to write a proposal for the job.  I have since edited my preferences to not get any requests.  I still have money sitting on this account from the credit system you had when I joined Thumbtack. I'd love it back but I am pretty sure no one would refund it.  Its cool for YOU to constantly change your T + C but not okay to do the right thing for your professionals.

Thumbtack as an organization is not in touch with pricing in my area and is a huge joke in photography forums because you dumb down our pricing and attract people that for the most part are looking for cheap work. 

Thanks for reading. -marie

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I would like to see a way to educate the customers better or break down the categories more.

I get customers who have done no, none research and then wonder why the pricing is so much and my pricing is at mid to bottom of market price. I started to send education in my quotes and "sit down for this" I send them to Home Advisor "True Cost Guide"(CTG). The TCG is amazing, comprehensive, detailed, current and very easy to use. The pricing is on a curve with what to expect High, Low and average cost, one can even search by their zip code.

Since I started sending the TCG link and educating my customers more I have not had bad contacts in this category. I would rather scare people off than have then be shocked by price, or finding out the job requires putting holes in their walls (standard practice), or they haven'e done their homework, or are just looking.

Another issue is clients do not understand the categories or so it seems. I get clients who want me to do parts of a job that are not electrical and require a different kind of license.

I am emailing Thumbtack every week for refunds because the customers don't understand what they even need or are faking it.

The pricing seems to be so random, I have not been able to make heads or tails out of Thumtack pricing.

Gary

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
I want to be able to have specific zip codes that are close to me for leads. Location is very important for repeat business in my profession. Even if the potential client thinks they are willing to drive 25 miles to me, 9-10 times it os not likely. I live in Gilbert and I get charged for leads in Scottsdale. That person very likely will not travel when it comes down to it. Thats not a good lead!!!
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I wanted to know up front what my cost would be if I bid on the job like many others have mentioned. When NO ONE got back to me when you started this new program, I chose not to participate.

As you can see from my account I have not done any or maybe 1-2 since you changed to the new format.

I also wanted to see and know: who are the other 58+ in my industry you have in the area. I want to know if I am competing with people who are legal and therefore charging with the same overhead I have or if they are not fully licensed and insured and therefore do not have the overhead I have and there for will be a lot cheaper than I am.

If I have a way of logging in to see who else you have in my industry and I know you would charge less to those of us who are “legal” That should also be one of the criteria how Thumbtack categorizes us.

Some customers do not care if the service they are looking for is licensed and insured, but some do and when it comes to some industry services licensed, insured and legitimate means they will get a dependable contractor who shows up, and does the work from start to finish and does not “flake out” part way through the job.  Until Thumbtack does a better job of “vetting” the service providers and categorizing us with legitimate competitors you are no better than Craig’s list and that is free.

I have had e-mails and phone conversations with Thumbtack Support (Taisia, Daniel S & Robert) through the years and there has been NO changes or improvements on OUR SIDE. On your side you have made more money but proven you are not truly in there for us your money providers.

I am taking a wild guess you are taking this survey because like myself many have stopped paying and from what it looks like with all these responses, no one is happy, so I am guessing your income has gone down dramatically.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I'm trying to find one positive post in this thread.

I think this was a good idea from the Thumbtack side, to ask how we all felt on an open forum.

Certainly the response and concensus is overwhelming.  What better way to find out what your paying customers think of your business, than to ask them.

I'd say the people have spoken, and Thumbtack folks have to make some changes.

Fortunately for them, most everyone of your customers are asking for the SAME changes.  It should not be too difficult to figure out how to proceed.  At least I hope so.  Good luck.  I think Thumbtack WAS great for my business, and can be great again.

Look at me trying to put a positive spin on this! 

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Make Thumbtack Great Again lol
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Make Thumbtack Great Again lol
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

I've been watching this thread all week. I've only seen one pro who has said that the prices Thumbtack is charging is fair. However, there are 100+ pages of responses from those, like myself, who think that all of the changes with Thumbtack's platform has been crazy. 

I first found Thumbtack mid 2013, they were mentioned in a wedding group I was in, and the photographers there were saying it was a scam. (even back then) I looked Thumbtack up and decided to give it a shot. When I first signed up, I could purchase 12 credits for $17.99. I was sending quotes to smaller, short dated, last minute weddings. Back then, it was 4 credits if the lead's budget was $400-600, 6 credits for $600-800, and 8 credits for $1000+. Out of those first 12 credits, I sent three quotes and was hired for two of those three. Before the year was up, I had been hired 11 times. The next year, I started sending quotes to a little higher priced budgets. 2014 I was hired 40 times. 2015 it was 36 times, 2016 (this was when things started changing) my hires dropped to 24. Part of this was because I wasn't sending as many quotes due to the increase and fluctuation of the number of credits it cost to send quotes. 2017 my hires dropped to less than 20.  For 2018, I think it was 4 and one of those ended up being cancelled. 

I've completely stopped sending quotes, and even looking at leads. I don't want to delete my account because I have all 5 star reviews, and I keep hoping, that by some miracle, Thumbtack will do a rewind and go back to the company and platform that I knew and loved.  I'm sure I have a better chance at winning the lotter than Thumbtack going back to being the credible company and platform that worked for us Pros. 

The company used to have integrity, if a lead looked suspicious, or if there was a duplicate lead from the same person, I could call in and report it and it would be removed. I didn't want Pros sending quotes and being charged for bogus leads. There was/is a habitual scammer in my area. I've reported him since 2015.  Recently, I noticed he posted again and I called to report the lead. I was told "This information will be passed along and investigated".  Well, guess what? This one was never removed. Several Pros sent quotes and were charged. 

Today, there are just too many things that look fishy with some of the leads. The old Thumbtack would have cared, the new Thumbtack doesn't. 

I would like to think that the powers that be would really take a close look at all of our responses (I know they said they would) and make some positive changes for the Pros. I've suggested perks for being a Top Pro, monthly subscription, going back to the credit system, and others that I can't remember right now.  These new changes have made so many of us lose business. Some of the Pros that are signing up now, are either newbies or simply someone who "thinks they are a Pro".  I'm really saddened by the down turn that Thumbtack has taken to becoming greedy and uncaring to  the Pros that have made them successful for the past few years.  Honestly, my Thumbtack days are over unless there are some major changes made that will be beneficial to the Pros, and not just to Thumbtack. 

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Your price to me is fair I think the it’s my job to convince the client with the products that my company sales.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

By your response I am assuming you haven't been on Thumbtack very long.  Their prices and business practices aren't fair.  Yes, it is up to you to convince someone that you are worth them hiring and spending money on.  What isn't fair is the fact that there are no real leads anymore.  There are people, (and I'm using people very lightly here since after the switch to the new way of doing things I'm pretty sure they are all just made up by thumbtack so they can steal your money) that post hardly any information, will contact you with a question that is completely useless or is already answered in your profile, then never get back to you again, never cancel the request or never hire anyone.  So they are fakes that contact you just so thumbtack can charge you a nonsensical amount of money for a "lead".  

I hope you read through all of these posts by the pros that have been using the site for a long time before you through away anymore money.