results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
DJKee
Level 5

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
After today....no more bids for me...
Reading this thread and my own frustration...I will not simply give my hardworking money away to Thumbtack for introducing me to "leads" "clients", or "customers ." I agree Thumbtack should be due something, but not at the cost of Professionals taking a loss. This Hurtful too both users of site....pros and customers....Even though most customers are searching for the cheapest pro, they are not getting some excellent service providers due to Thumbtack cost
JoeB131
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm with everyone else here.  The pricing has become too unpredictable and too expensive to use. 

I've been with Thumbtack for a long time and am currently rated as a Top Pro, but I doubt I'll keep using the service.  I just tried out the promoted/Instant Match/Whatever they are calling it this week, and pretty much just blew through 5 bids and $50.00 watching people kick the tires, but not really committing to anything.  

My business is resume writing, which means that I have a service you pretty much only need to use once every five years.   I charge about $60-80 for my service, but some of these bids can be from $10-24.  Given only one out of four leads turns into a customer, I am out money.  

Just not worth it to use Thumbtack. 

They should go back to the old system of cheap bids, buying credits in bulk, and letting people work it out for themselves. 

One of the things I liked is I used to be able to see who I was bidding against.  I can't see that anymore, either. 

weddingguy
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I receive emails from "Jennifer " all the time to tell my how I'm doing compared to other DJ's and then I'm told to answer with questions. I've emailed many times asking if the price for responding, which follows no ryhme or reason whatsoever is charged if the clirnt  hires you or merely just  respond in any way. I also have asked to please stop sending me notices on people requesting music entertainment i.e. musicians because I don't do that. I can't get a response to my questions or any response at all period so I am not quoting until I know. Like many many people who have responded I find this system to be a joke, would prefer the old credit system and will also be canceling my accoiunt all together if i can't get the courtesy of a response of SOME sort.

gjtabor
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I will not reply to anyone looking for a wedding officiant under the new system.  Triple the price but ALSO the new system is not good either.  It's the old system with old pricing or nothing with me.  It's a waste of time to even respond on here.  

Lynne
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi

Let me begin by saying that I have been a tutor on Thumbtack for several years.  This system of only charging when a potential client contacts us is better than charging us for reading our quote.  

Having said that, I find your pricing schedule very uneven.  I have two separate jobs.  I am a copy editor/writing coach as well as a language instructor.  It seems that you charge much more for the former when compared to what you charge for the latter.  People are quirky and often we talk at length and then say that they are not ready to commit to anyone.  Then I never hear from them again.  No fault of yours but no fault of mine either.

Editing jobs don't pay very well and are short term.  Language lessons should go on longer but they pay even less.  I know that some of your contractors charge a lot of money and earn well, so charging them might be fairer according to your algorithms.  But for the jobs I am doing, the charges are too high and as I said, very uneven.

Thanks

Lynne

Guyfi
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I use thumtack to get guitar students. Learning an instrument is something that attracts a lot of window shoppers; i.e. many people will contact you saying they want to learn but never follow through, or just take one or two lessons and quit if it doesn't come immedietely For example, probably 33% of the people who say they want to learn don't even own an instrument. (Fwiw I've been in the music biz for 25 years and have a strong presence and history in my city, and many student who've been with me for years and many former students who play professionally....I don't suck). When bids were $3.34 I would send out a fair amount, and I got maybe 1 student per 5-6 bids. Now that bids are above $12 apiece I have sent exactly ONE. If I'm going to have to pay $70 per student, it's not going to happen.

Highlighted
kitminden
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Here in VIrginia we earn less for some work than in many other palces, but we are still paying a lot, as if we were wealthier and taking in more. I can't afford to do some jobs such as resume writing as the cost is too high. 

Solved! Jump to solution

I know I'm technically past the "deadline" date, but I thought I'd comment anyway. I am only commenting now because I randomly had someone review an old quote from a year ago, and then saw this invite for feedback.

As you noticed, I said a year ago. That's the last time I consistently used Thumbtack because the pricing got so high that I couldn't remotely afford to use the site. When I was expected to pay something like $100 for a $300 gig, it was ludicrous. For smaller gigs, when I was competing with a few others with the same skillset, I was still expected to pay $15-$45 for gigs that might only wind up paying $100.

But then I received notice that Thumbtack was opening up bids to more workers per job, and I just stopped logging in altogether. Who's stupid enough to PAY MONEY to have people VIEW your bid with possibly dozens of others also bidding on the same job? The cost you guys charged versus what we made was insane, especially with all the "just looking" folks who weren't even ready to actually hire a contractor. Maybe things have changed since then, but I've gotten more work through a free, unmainted Facebook page than I ever got through Thumbtack.

StLFacePaint
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Same here. I get more work for free on Facebook, and a cheap craigslist ad than I've gotten here in months because quotes are too high and inconvenient to use on mobile.
John
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Vinamrata,

If you are responsible for the current pricing arrangement then you have done many Thumbtack Pros a huge disservice. Surely you can see how it is not a matter of "confusion" - it is HIGH charges. Your attitude has an elitist tone when you say "what we feel" is a better value.

The old way was much better for r as a music teacher. The "match" system is horrible.

I have been a top Pro for 3 consecutive times and used to love Thumbtack.

Because of the insane changes you made - it appears you have lost me and dozens of others.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Admit you messed up and bring back the old way. AT LEAST give an option so a Pro can chose which method they prefer.