Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Hammerhead
Level 6

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

If Thumbtack expects to remain in business it definitely has to change the pricing structure. We, the professional contractors, are your customers and we are the ones who keep you in business. With your current format you are losing customers daily. I for one have not followed up on a lead in weeks.

You have the pricing backwards. Ever wonder why Angieslist has survived so long? Their model has been- Have the prospective client subscribe to a service where they can find qualified and vetted professionals to choose from. When a prospective client has some skin in the game they are more serious about their project and hiring someone.

Until Thumbtack wakes up or goes out of business I will sit on the sideline watching!

Tim Maddox - KLM Builders - Lynchburg, VA

Arnol900
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Hey I’m Arnol I had a lead in instant match when costumer called me asking if I mount in the wall unit when I assemble furniture only so I could do the job and I was charge like 17 for a lead and I did not do the job so I took my self out from instant match I’m losing money I had another lead that customer never text me back and it was a instant match also
0 Kudos
Dwga
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

As a service provider,  I rarely get any responses from the projects I bid on. And when I do I get haggled to death so my time and skill = $0. Making a living is not a hobby. I do like providing graphic needs to those who would never need agency time or rates by any stretch but I cannot support myself going probono and on top of it payout the TT fee. Its a lose lose. These job source sights have been evolving rapidly but not in our favor. 

I have made some long term client relationships but for the most part its a money losing effort.

As a consumer on this site I have found some great vendors and I do respect the numbers they ask for. I do not know how much of that they had to pay TT but  hope they made money because each instance was a total success for me.

This shouldn't be complicated and unpredictable way to hire or make a living from.

DWGA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
NightHawk
Level 6

Is anyone actually out there?

Solved! Jump to solution

Reading these comments is heartbreaking, so many of us just want to work and make an honest living and TT seems bend on soaking us for every cent they can rather then helping us build and grow. The last time I tried to submit a bid I was informed it would cost $30.88 for a $75 job, can someone at TT please explain how you can justify that?????

I have to seriously ask, how can you (TT) read these comments and not see that things are going south, QUICK! 

My buisness here once constituded 90% of my work, now it's zero, ziltch, nada, eveporated like a drop of water in a bonefire..

The instant match that was suppose to save us money instead has cost me more, YOU, yes you at TT blew through my budget in the first day or two, often times for contacts that had NOTHING to do with weddings. I lost hundreds and got NOTHING in return. And yet you have the gual to sit back and ask us what's wrong? Please, take the blinders off, the king is naked and yet you fail to see it..

Between the various threads there are thousands of responses and comments about pricing and not one in favor of the new pricing scam system. It's my hope that someone at TT will see the light and actualy listen, but I'm not getting my hopes set to high.

Signed, a former Top Pro..

bonnie_bill
Level 8

Re: Is anyone actually out there?

Solved! Jump to solution

This whole thing has turned silly.

We are a very serious 20+ year old photography business with all 5 star reviews because we give a money back guarantee. If we ran our business the way TT runs theirs we would be out of business. Our business volume has doubled in the past two years and none of it was through TT. 

For a business to be a good partner it must be a win/win where everyone benfits.  This past year to two has been anything but a win/win. We were a Top Pro two years ago and have not had one booking through TT in 2 years. Thankfully we are blessed and do not need them. However, I know they can be a good service if they choose to be and can put it back together before they lose us all.

0 Kudos
Keithy
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
The price is often too high, with no information as to what needs to be done. Sometimes I don't give a quote because I'm going to be charged a fee when the customer contacts me to give me the job description. They should give full job description instead of checking a few boxes, leaving us to ask more questions and being charged.
0 Kudos
Firebelly
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
THUMBTACK- You pay a different amount for each lead based on whether we believe the job is more valuable or less valuable.
ME- you have no business pricing leads based on weather you believe the job is more valuable, or less valuable.
Give me a break!! You are telling me you know my business better than I do? It may or may not be a person interested in getting work done.
You don’t know because YOU NEVER QUALIFIED THEM!! You expect me to pay $75.00 for the privilege of getting a response? A phone call? I haven’t even qualified the person. They may be shopping around yet if they contact me, I get charged $75.00.
What if they contact four other contractors at the same time?
Does the term “Greedy Bastards” come to mind?
Totally unfair business practices.

Thumbtack- The cost of each lead varies based on factors like the type of job, the size of the job, the number of pros available, and the customer’s interest.
If we don’t have enough pros in a market to meet customer needs, you might even get the lead for free.
Me- once again I can refer you to message above. That said, I think it’s fair to charge for leads based on type of job. But be consistent.
It’s not fair to base price of leads based on contractors availability, or customers interest. You don’t know if contractors are actually available, or how interested the customer is.
Come on guys. You’re messing up a good thing. Go back to charging for credits so we can all make some money.
Drummerpro
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

I’ve already written what I think, and so has everyone else.  Across the board you have a huge issue that Thumbtack is ignoring.  It’s a shame because it was so great!   Fix it!

Solved! Jump to solution

After posting (around page 100) and then reading a large number of other posts (now on page 175), it seems that most pros are of like mind. Each and every one feels that pricing should be tranparent and based on a standard amount, not variable based on what Thumbtack thinks the job will pay. Also, in like fashion, many say, and I agree, that there is not enough information in the bid request to allow us to know if a job suits us or not. Having to pay to find out the customer is not a good fit is no way to run a business, so we have no incentive to bid. (I have stopped bidding and will probably close my account very soon. Just waiting to see if TT plans to make any changes after 175 pages of similar vendor complaints.) It's a shame, but sometimes the bean counters, who know nothing of running a business, make changes that can ruin a good company. Are you listening ThumbTack?

Most importantly, get shoppers to furnish more detailed information in their requests. We need to know what we are bidding on. It would be good for TT to get vendor feedback on each offer on why the job is or is not good for us. That way, TT would know what keeps vendors from bidding certain jobs.

Larry Black, Computer Partner, Roswell, GA

0 Kudos
Erod1
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Unreal!!!!! I received a “free lead” yesterday and my bank account got hit with $75.00!!!!
“A so call customer” contacted me, requesting a service, I called, and then he texted back saying “we decided to go another route”. Where is customer service? Where is my credit? I’m taking my business somewhere else.
0 Kudos