Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
YogiDrea
Level 1

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

When I signed up with Thumbtack Pro years ago in California, the pricing made sense. For my industry, it was one price: $2.70 per lead (or thereabouts). That made accepting leads affordable and made the gamble worthwhile.

Since I offer community service-oriented holistic practices (yoga and Reiki) for sliding scale, my profit is much lower than many of my competitors. My primary customer has health issues and is often on a fixed income or has financial limitations. My average price for private yoga sessions and Reiki sessions is $20-40 (most end up paying $25). That made the old Thumbtack Pro pricing work for me. I could reply to three or four people and even if only one purchased my services, I made my money back and a little profit. I have found that many people who use Thumbtack are just doing research. Many of my colleagues have noted the same. Which means, even if you vet your leads well according to the information they provide, many of them will not follow through because they are not ready to commit. That makes high lead costs impractical. 

The new pricing system is confusing. The last lead I got cost me more than $20! Since the system changed, I had to set a weekly or monthly budget (which I can't afford even at your lowest rate). And the new lead fee platform punishes you for having a lower budget. Lower budget = fewer leads per week. Since I have to choose the lowest amount, I no longer receive qualifying leads, if I receive any leads at all in a week (or month). In fact, I receive so few leads in total, I rarely check and update my Thumbtack account anymore. When I do receive leads, they are not even in my industry. I am receiving leads for naturopathy, homeopathy, and cranial sacral therapy more than anything. This suggests that Thumbtack should separate out their holistic services so that they are subcategorized. I'm sure plenty of other providers who offer Reiki or other modalities like me and have the same problem.

But back to the quote/lead fees. Now that the Thumbtack has changed how they calculate their lead costs, I am skeptical to accept leads. One of my last customers throughThumbtack cost me over $20, which is what I was paid by that customer. It was hardly worth my investment and time. One could argue that I should charge market value but that would be in stark contrast to my company values and mission, to provide yoga and Reiki services to all people. Also, even if I charged $50-60 per session, as many of my colleagues in this area do, a lead fee of $20 is astronomical. That is a 30% commission to Thumbtack! Do you think a contractor who is making $40k on a project would pay $13,200 for a lead? Absolutely not!! It's a huge gamble to begin with. Then, even if you get the lead, you already have a deficit.

Until Thumbtack changes the fee structure to something I can afford, I will continue to turn down leads.

SSTechPlus
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

@YogiDrea Fantastic job with expanding our view of the payments on a much larger scale. It really hits home in that way!

0 Kudos
jerry
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

What is the point of collecting all these complaints if we aren't getting any feedback from Thumbtack? Or any results? This is just another way of getting everyone to vent, and creating more collective negativity toward this business. DO SOMETHING, THUMBTACK, OR GO OUT OF BUSINESS. You are losing credibility not only with YOUR clients, but with ours. 

lesmok
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

I thought we were supposed to get some answers to these important issues "within a week."  It's time for everybody who's losing money with Thumbtack to vote with their feet.

Highlighted
MsChely
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
The prices to quote are crazy. As many pro have said. I think Thumbtack needs to have a monthly set fee. Ex. Like hulu just fab etc.. fee $39.99 -
$ 49.99. The pro can decided to skip a month of being charge. Or except the charge at pre - approve date. I truly wish thumb tack would consider this option I think it would benefit the pros and them.
Dee
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I have done the calculations and you have raised the quoting charge in my field by 600 %. Six. Hundred. Percent. 6 hundred.  I WILL NEVER bid on a job that might pay $100 yet the cost to send a blind bid in the wind is a third of my take home pay. I might clean houses for a living but I did attend college and I can do math. Cmon Thumbtack .... how many meeting did it take to come up with a SIX HUNDRED PERCENT increase? You’re losing credibility with all your pros here along with clients that need a service! I received a message today that “someone chose me based on my profile” and you are sending me many notifications to seal the deal. Whoa slow down ..... NOT SEALING any deal with hidden quote fees. Where is your quote fee? It’s not free to communicate on Thumbtack w/ potential clients. 

jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution
Take about 1,800 responses here - all negative! Let’s say we all were averaging about $75-$80 a month with great success- which I was. Thats about $135,000 a month. Let’s say all of us here stopped using TT until a change is made because we are losing money. I can not imagine how many total pros across the nation there are and the cost to run a San Francisco office and Utah call center. I just don’t know but it doesn’t make sense. Yes - I would like to see some responses here from Marco. This is a huge community response and seems so wrong on so many levels I can not comprehend what’s going on. I can’t imagine how many did not see this email request to answer this question and if they only knew about this feed. TT must be having success with these changes and is ok with a few thousand of us leaving the platform. They have to be ok with it. They have to be satisfied with heir choice for the future and feel confident with the triple price that they will succeed. They see something we don’t. Obviously.
lesmok
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Vinamrata,

So what happened to the responses you were going to give us "within a week"?

AEHoerl
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

@lesmok

I am as shocked at TT's lack of response to all this as Captain Renault was by the fact that gambling was going on at Rick's in Casablanca, haha!

But seriously, TT--are you going to seriously respond to the (literally) thousands of your pros who have taken the time to answer the query your employees posted? (And no, that video you posted doesn't count as a serious response...)

Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@AEHoerl a pricing Q&A wrap up was recently posted HERE. There's certainly been a lot of responses and it's taken some time for us to read through them all. As mentioned in the post Vinamrata and her team are hard at work in addressing things, and you’ll see further responses soon.