results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
Miltapalooza
Level 5

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I've complained about this multiple times but to no avail...I'm not at all suprised to see some of the same types of comments here already...the pricing structure is absolutely ridiculous!  I had so much more success before these changes (way too many changes in general, who makes these decisions??) and it showed...now, for whatever reason, I've had little success yet pay so much more...even a simple communication costs an absurd amount!  How do you justify raising the rates as much as 6-7X from what they were and with no forewarning whatsoever??  And the Instant Match feature is garbage, please stop shoving it down my throat!  Also, the last several times a customer has reached out to me directly (I didn't quote them first, they found me), most seem to disappear after one or maybe two replies...I'm seriously starting to think that these leads are bogus and have considered contacting the BBB.  It's unfortunate really...I loved Thumbtack and now I almost loathe it...my questions go unanswered or I get a very roundabout reply that ducks the issue...no one there seems to care about their clients...clients that are insanely overcharged!  I sincerely hope someone there reads these replies and decides to actually do something about it as many pros are very unhappy!

0 Kudos
Fabpop
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I’m a single mom and I built my business
With Thumbtack ..
the pricing was more clear .. I have 16 reviews That are 5 Star ...
I’m really struggling with this new pricing 😭 please modify it ! I love Thumbtack but I can’t make it with these prices .. TakeLessons.com is where I may need to go but i prefer not to though ... can you please help this girl out .. I’ve found amazing students and lifelong friends ..
through Thumbtack .. I’m so confused why Thumbtack changed ..
Lmh
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
There are inconsistencies. The price should be a standard price.
I had a job the was 2 days with minimal requirements and you charged a higher fee then was 5 days eith minamal requirements!! There was a $2.00 difference. The reason that the CS rep in helpline did not really give me an answer to justify the differences.
sitstaygrow
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I find that I spend too much time customizing quotes for Thumbtack.  My rates are variable depending on who is available and how far they have to drive.  I can't just provide an instant match price for services because I use independent contractors for my business.  I don't even know if I got the job for sure until after the meet and greet is completed and by then I have already put in a bunch of time (which is worth $$$ to me).  I would much rather be charged on wether or not we actually get the job or not.  "Leads" are not likely to become customers in the future if they don't like your pricing or your sitter now.  If they are ok with it, they hire you, if not, they look elsewhere.  I am unhappy about paying fog "leads".    

music_4_life
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
Hi, Thumbtack!
I agree that a contractor job quote, which could yield several thousand dollars income should not cost the same as a wedding musician quote, which would yield $200 income. My husband is a General Contractor on Thumbtack and we are paying the same prices to bid on leads through Thumbtack. The sad thing is, I charge a total of $200 to Perform for a wedding and sometimes I’m charged $50 for a lead that does not pan out! I can’t afford that! I only work 1 to 2 days a week on music gigs! Customers typically do not want music Monday through Friday when they are Working! Occasionally Friday evening, but most of my jobs are only 2 days a week, Saturday or Sunday!
My contractor husband can potentially work 5 days a week or more! And his total income is higher than mine!
I especially like being charged $50 when a customer responds with “Sorry, We have decided to hire another musician” or “Sorry, we have decided to take another route”.
RonnWinter
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I think the pricing is way too expensive now. I don’t understand why you guys just don’t do what all the other entertainment Booking Sites do, and do a flat monthly charge, and/or 5% of the booking fee.
I pay about 19.99 a month for other sites, and book a lot more with them. I’ve spent 4 times that amount, with Thumbtacks new format, in one month over clients that either didn’t have the budget to hire me, or asking me pointless questions that could’ve been answered by simply looking at my profile.
I don’t dare do follow up messages anymore. I figure, if my first quote didn’t get a response, they’re not interested. I’m not going to follow up with them just to get charged $20 for them to say they decline.
It’s not rocket science. Several other sites are very successful with the monthly fee format. I would say, for someone in my field, Thumbtack is worth about $15 a month.
0 Kudos
JMcRae
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I don't really have a question. Just wanted to say that I like the pricing the way it was before there was a budget and instant matches. Right now I feel like I pay more now than I did before and I talk to customers less. I also reach out less to customers now because of the added cost. Before I knew it would cost me about three or four dollars to talk to a person now I am not sure what the cost is to talk to one person. Many of the instant matches do not work for me because I use this app for part-time gigs. I felt like I had more control before.
0 Kudos
talewis78
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

I've stopped using Thumbtack for three reasons:

1.   There is not enough information in the requests for me to properly put a quote together.  Some people do add extra to their requests, but most just fill out the absolute minimum.  As an architect, I could be doing a $500 porch addition, or a $5000 ground up new build.  Most of the quotes don't specify what they are looking for.  I can't send out a quote with a fee estimate, if I don't know what I'm quoting on.   So I send a somewhat generic quote, and I rarely get responses back.   I say in my quote that I need more information.

2.   I have absolutely NO idea how much or even if I am going to be charged for each quote.   Is it going to be the old amount of $15?  Or is it going to be $100.  I can't just be sending out quotes right and left, and all of a sudden get a bill for several hundred dollars, and no work to show for it.  I do like that you are not charged for quotes that clients don't respond to, but the system has become too much of a crap shoot for us.

3.  I feel like 90% of the people sending out quotes are just tire kickers.  They think they might want to do a project, but they really just want to see how much the drawings are going to cost.

Aida
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Simply put, it is ridiculous that your prices went from $3.33, tops $6.00, to $16.00 plus. In order to cover this new pricing I have been forced to raise my prices. In my area, photography is a luxury people are not willing to pay more. Three times after quoting with your new prices, I had the customers cancelled because they had found someone cheaper. I was out of the jobs and $60. I cannot afford to do this. Furthermore, there was a quote were the customer was willing to pay no more than $200 00. You were charging $40 plus dollars for that quote. After everything was said and done $160 would have not been worth it. Thumbtack is too expensive for me. It is a shame because it was my maine source of leads. Now I cannot afford it so I am getting my leads through Indeed and referrals from customers. They are not as many but at least I dont lose money getting them.
0 Kudos
Numbers
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I feel as a professional I should be charged one price.  The person requesting the service should be charged according to the size of the job.   It is confusing to pay different prices for the chance to reply to a help wanted ad

0 Kudos