Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
mnjn
Level 6

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
Hello,

Many posts "in the community" have given solid reasons why the pricing changes have hurt pros. You can feel free to view my community profile to see some pricing math examples I have posted myself and other issues.

Here are summary of the main issues your changes have hurt some pros. 

-  Your costs for pros with small jobs say 1 to two hour are not fair, due to the percentage difference.  You can't charge 45 dollars for a catering business getting a several thousand dollar job, then also charge the same amount 45 dollars for Pro who is only getting say 75 dollars for the entire job.

- Also your examples you give that your changes SAVE money are not completely accurate.  You only show the math for the "Best" cost scenario.  For some reason none of you even acknowledge that there is also with your new "no charge for quotes"  a WORST cost scenario.

For example:   10 bids go out,,  all ten bids respond in a positive manner and the pro doesn't get the job.  It's NOT our faults.. we were doing fine with the 5 quote system.  The pro just spent 10 x 17 dollars ,  much more then old system.. this seems very hard for TT to understand or acknowledge..   Just a "hey... you got a point.. we are charging way more in that scenario.. hmmmmm?"

-  Please show the results of your recent pro survey.  I got a survey months ago asking me how are we doing?  You asked questions if we would recommend TT to other pros.  Asked pricing, biz questions.   I would like to see  how TT is doing overall with the survey results.

-  So not being transparent , raising prices then defending them and refuse to see / understand in some scenarios why pros are loosing money.  Basically the canned response is "it's our faults because our profiles are wrong, etc.

-- Customer communication!  This is a big one.. , (price issue a bit also)... see your new model punishes communications with custmers via a 3x price hike.  Old model the request was paid for, so I could clarify with customers via TT msg, asking many  questions about their requests.. sometimes customers pros go back and forth many messages.. before the hire is secured.  I also need to   ensure our company is a good fit for the request , etc.  TT had a hard time understanding this point.  They kept saying to me.. look you just need to clarify your profile and filter your services better so you get better matches..  Sure that could be.. but every job is different, and with sparse info in the request, the job may not be suited for me or too big etc.  Read some electrical requests etc.. from customer see for yourself...  Kevin says  " There is a power loss issue..."   That is pretty vague...  I've been doing electrial work my entire life... and I don't have a clear idea where this request could lead. After a quick couple of questions many times I can win the job..

- Again losing the ability to ask questions you need to realize that hurts the ability to win jobs.    The new system, if I ask a question, and they answer  with something that I'm unable to do then I just get nailed for 3x or more charge. So with the new system I hardly bid.. only when the request is very clear , in my wheel-house etc..  that is the way I work.. I shouldn't have to change for want TT wants..

I hope you understand that point... every time you make a change that effects the way people / biz communicate it needs to be done very carefully..   Maybe your system is helping specific business.. but for HandyMan I have found the changes cumbersome , over-priced and over-bidded.

- Two many people bidding.. there has been countless posts that say.. this has been harmful...  and give many many different suggestions.  

-  Hard to get refunds... I read if the customer went another direction etc..  you "might" give a refund.. I submitted my customer that went a different direction  and was turned down.  ugh!   
The customer did a couple of weird things.. 1. they marked the request as "research"  I missed that.. yeah I know better I usually never never bid on those. So of course the customer said they were interested.. then faded away..  ugh... these things are difficult for pros.. shouldn't have to fight for every bad  request.. maybe give us x amount of refunds with not having to get frustrated , it seems TT could care less.   Why even have research or if you do..  make it a NO Charge for Pete's sake ugh...

- Top pro system flawed..  changed the way you rank pros.. response time.  Made me loose my badge.  System was new,, TT couldn't care less you lost you badge ,, even bragged how many pros were not making it..  They used their msg system, which didn't account for phone calls etc.. very bad.. their notes should say.. "Hey Better respond to Betty"    which TT sends.. but didn't even include a link.. Have you Already responded via another communication method.. ??? ugh... so bad...  Anyway.. I've learned how your response system works now.. even though you ignore the customers response rating.. I think I might be gettting my badge back after a qualify I think period has pasted again..  My area has ~200 pros I compete with.. so every  little thing can help IMO.

To summarize:
1. cost (small pro vrs large pro %), 2. unable to ask questions w/o being charged (3x more) 3. Every scenario of you new systems does NOT save money. 4 Not posting surveys, why not?  5. Refund process clunky  6. To many bids allowed per request. 7. Top Pro process flawed.  8. O and cost  :-----)

Thank you, 

Mark Nosewicz
VP of Operations

Lisawevents
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Kudos to you. I basically said the same exact thing to TT.
Beth
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

mnjn gave a very complete and accurate summary of many of our complaints.

One result of these changes is that I, like mnjn and doubtless others, no longer post any follow-ups to my bids.  I used to always follow up, asking if I could clarify or add more details.  Now, of course, I would never follow up, since I don't want to prompt a tepid response that's not indicative of actual interest and costs me up to a quarter of what the job is worth.

I'm beginning to think that we pros should let the customers know that we are being charged if they respond, even with an canned response supplied by Thumbtack.

I've always prided myself on being responsive, listening to my (potential) clients and customizing my service when possible to suit their needs.  Thumbtack has sqeezed that out of me.

I really liked the old Thumbtack, where we bought credits to bid, or even paying money to bid.  I used to use Thumbtack quite a lot, and it worked great.  Now I hardly use it at all, since it costs way more than it brings in.

Yes, how about sharing the results of your survey?????

I'm planning on attending a meeting of pros you're hosting in NYC, and I will express the same thoughts there.

Studio92
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Agree. Agree Agree!

SuperFineK9
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

I liked the change from "per bid" to "only if contacted", however, I do agree that this change discourages the Pro from following up once the bid has been viewed.  It seems to trigger some cordial or non-committal response from the customer with no intent to follow through resulting in a charge to the Pro.  Follow up is supposed to increase your likelihood of getting hired, not make you feel like you are potentially throwing money out the window.

For me, the change amounts to a 50% increase per contact.  I'd be happy to pay that per HIRE.

This change has triggered me to look at some other advertising options as well.

Margaret MacEwen

Super Fine K9 Dog Training

Kleebster
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I mentioned to a client that I was being charged for her response and she got really mad with me and told me that no one else mwntioned that or complained about it. She later reported me for that reason. Not sure what she told Thumbtack, but I was told by Thumbtack that my account was being watched. It was really weird. 

Solved! Jump to solution
I do believe thumbtack is unfair

Solved! Jump to solution
To no end my customers come first but to the fiscious greed of thumbtack I get charged money to answer questions that cost me money that don’t lead to jobs
Highlighted
Miltapalooza
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

This is very well-written and I've now seen dozens of replies since I posted myself...EVERY SINGLE PERSON is echoing the sentiments here...I'll be astounded if TT doesn't listen and make the proper changes, the ones that we actually want and aren't simply forced upon us...what you're doing is borderline criminal.

Solved! Jump to solution

I echo mnjn’s reply exactly.  I need to ask clarifying questions on most bids...but now I won’t respond because I’ll get charged. 

I prefer the old system of credits and 5 bids per request.  But I’m certain that Thumbtack will not go back to that so I’ve invested in other marketing processes that don’t make me dependent on any lead provider.

Thumbtack used to be a vital part of my lead gen.  Now it’s really an afterthought and I only respond to very specific requests that I feel have a high probability of converting.  

Lastly, what is the point of showing me leads from a 3 State area? I have preferences set to 20 mile radius and yet my feed is filled with leads that are over 150 miles away!  This bad idea has desensitized me to the Thumbtack alert icon.  Now instead of responding immediately, I tend to ignore it for days.