Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Djabent
Level 1

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

In my industry (Entertainment namely DJ and Photo booth) thumbtack is crowded with people who do not have any of the lowest credentials nescary to operate as a DJ or business. This also means that the immense load of competition is undercutting people like me that are established and look at finances. Simply put thumbtack is catering to customers who want a cheaper service and entertainment that is just starting out... any business owner looks at the roi for thumbtack and says it is way too low. Thumbtack, your fees aren’t confusing they are just too high. 

0 Kudos
STEAMKING
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

IM NOT BELIEVING IN THUMBTACK

YOUR COST IS TO HIGH 

I USE YALL A FEW TIME 

I DIDNT GET MANY JOBS FROM IT WHICH MADE ME STRATCH MY HEAD BECAUSE WE HAVE THE LOWEST PRICES IN TOWN 

0 Kudos
robertlc1616
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I received a "congratulations" from Thumbtack for getting 16 jobs. What they were calling jobs were no more than worthless contacts.  In fact, I had only 4 actual jobs that amounted to not much. The others went nowhere, but I certainly got nailed for the fees. So far, based on 100%, about 65% of income become paid in fees. I got charged 19.00 for a question just a few weeks ago. I had a possible job pop up about two weeks ago for 10-15 product photos. The potential charge would have been about $150-175.00. The fee would have been 39.00. You do the math, thats why I dropped it like a hot potato. Apparently, 20-25% is considered the appropriate fee now. Thumbtack "contacts" literally mean nothing. Their "variation" of charging is baseless. There is no algorithm that can correctly interpret this type of work or how it is categorized. The only correct way to charge is if the pro actually lands the job, then charge a "fair" fee, and $20-40.00 is not a fair fee when the job paid $125.00. These potential (but most likely not) customers dont realize or care that by contacting a pro (or pros) to simply say, " oh, I meant 15 photos, not 5", that the pro is getting nailed for $20-40+. This occurs more frequently than anyone actually knows, but they dont care, nor do they have any interest in curbing the revenue stream.

0 Kudos
trickyricky
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

A client can say that their event duration is 3 hours and then I put in the charge for $300, get slammed on my end for a charge, but then when we get talking all they really needed was a 20 minute show or 1 hour of balloons...NOT the 3 hour "description" of their event. Thus really I didn't get paid squat, and lost out on a huge charge. I have been way less likely to use Thumbtack recently because of this recurring issue. 

0 Kudos
SaltyBroad
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I have a lot of concerns about how Thumbtack charges me for leads. First of all, if I receive an instant match lead and I decline it, I don't think I should be charged for that. Ultimately, I decide what leads have value to me and often customers are messaging a large batch of Pros and just looking for the best price, not the best quality--these are not my customers. People who work with me want dependability, credibility, quality and timliness. I don't think weddings and events should be lumped together. I have never booked a wedding from Thumbtack even though I have a sucessful wedding photography business but I do book a considerable amount of corporate events from Thumbtack leads--I'd prefer to receive more inquiries for jobs like that and turn off the weddings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Solved! Jump to solution

Being in the Web Design and Development industry, I can not longer justiy  paying for leads since most people looking are just getting prices. The people that come through for leads for web work or development, do not provide enough information about anything for me to justify taking the lead. Instead I would responsd that I needed more inforamtion when they were soley looking for a price.

Lost money and the lead to not having the right questions being asked. I use this sparingly anymore.

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution
The information provided about a job is not enough to know if its a small job or a bigger job. Lead pricing fluctuates so much that I can't afford to spend $15 to $20 on a lead that only makes $60. It cost to much to roll the dice to find out what the customer actually wants. Also spending money on a lead then they say in the message I already hired someone and I still get billed just because they didnt repley with "no thanks".
I just can't waste the money on leads just to find out what they really want. It sad because I was actually doing pretty good with Thumbtack now I have to pass on soooo many that its useless.
DEW
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
I agree with the other comments. I used to get some good clients through Thumbtack. However, in the last year, or so your prices have Increased and there seem to be more tire kickers using the site, and I’ve stopped replying to inquiries.
For you to hide the amount I will be paying for each lead feels smarmy, too. In your earlier days you were transparent about pricing, which I appreciated.
I received a specific question about the cost of a job, and it was going to cost me $14 to answer. I’m a professional organizer, and I can’t tell someone what the job will cost without seeing the home or business first. I can only provide my hourly rate.
I did not want to pay to answer the question, especially when it was unlikely that I would get hired. Now, I look unprofessional to that person, which disturbs me.
Msmod
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
I really don’t think it’s fair to be charged almost $12 for a lead when someone replies because not everyone who replies will become a customer. Sometimes they just have a question about my services. I think I’ve also been charged for the quotes I’ve sent out even though the customer hasn’t even replied. I think it was fair when you were charged a standard rate for each quote you sent out. I’m also not paying a standard rate of $12 per quote because my business is in such a broad category.
0 Kudos
jpmcdunn
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

You charge entirely too much.  When I started wth Thumbtack, I bid against 4 other vendors and paid $3.34.  That has graduallly shifted until now I am bidding against 14 vendors and pay about $15.00.  I sell my product for $175 and, since it is weding services, there are no repeat customers.  It is not prudent for me to give 10% of my fee to thumbtask, not to mention that I won't secure business from job I bid