Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Vsydorowicz
Level 4

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
I have ZERO idea how much each lead is costing. I called and spoke to someone who could only tell me that an “algorithm” is used but the whole thing is a mystery. Some leads are ridiculously expense.
lowell-king
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

First I was VERY disappointed when you stopped charging by the 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. points to pay for the cid in advance.

Second, it seems like now the costs have really escalated.  I now search to see what the cost might be before I even think about making a bid.

By habit I have never nor will ever pay more than $20 to make a bid, even if I really would like to do the job.  I see some could have cost me $44 if I would have made a bid and someone just replied to ask me a question.  I could have been out the money for nothying.

Lowell King, Angel Karaoke Service

0 Kudos
dianniaoh53
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I have been using Thumbtack since 2015, at first I did not mind the cost, we paid for credits, knew how much each credit cost. Then you changed the quoting process that became sterile, instead of reaching out to each individual cutomer we had to set up a generic profile. Then came the messages from customers who saw our profiles, you went from charging for credits to charging to answer a question, and in most instances I needed more information, or I wanted to let the cusomter know that I was not available do to the job on such short notice. Most of us work off a schedule and when someone posts a job at midnight and they want someone the next day. It probably is not going to happen. On one instance I would have had to pay $21.43 to answer a question, and I did pay 17.00 plus to tell someone I could not do a job the next day. I want to bid on the jobs I want and can do in a timely matter. I spend more money NOT getting jobs than I do getting jobs, Something has to change in order for me to stay. Also you requested a back ground check and then you want us to do another background check to post for the customer why not post the one you requested from us? Everything has become to confusing for me and customers. Go back to quotes and NOT instant matches let us take control back of the jobs we feel we can do. The pricing now that you charge based on the job and the professionals  available makes no sense what so ever. You cannot convince me that Thumbtack knows what each job intells and how much time and money we have in it. Something needs to change for the better.

tigerbaci05
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi Vinamrata,

For me it's not aobut the pricing. If I get a vaiable lead and a conversation with a lead then at least I had a chance to compeete. My problem is that I've never been contacted. It seems you have too many realtors in your service (I believe around 50) In other words, I don't pay. I've been wondering about trying instant quotes and whether that would make a difference? I am constantly told I need more testimonials to compete with the other agents. I think it could hinge on what I write in the quote? I've tried many variations.

For my teaching service I think I was charged 75$ for a student lead. That was too high; I only earn 30-35 $ per hour with a language student.

Is it worth it for me to stay with Thumbtack? Probably not, but since I pay only if contacted by a lead, it doesn't hurt me to stay.

Diana Kaeding

Highlighted
tigerbaci05
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

Sorry about the typos! 

Net101
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

Pricing structure is way too confusing. When it was simpler, we received plenty of prospects. Have received only 2 in the past 3 months and not for skills listed in my profile.

Solved! Jump to solution
I love you guys, but I pass on more jobs than I entertain because I know a good chuck of time the likeliness of landing the job is not worth $13 for someone to tell me they will think about hiring me and never hear back from them but still get charged for the conversation. Other thank that Thumbtack is great !
Bondarchuk
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

How about you actually explain exactly how you figure out your astronomical price that you think you can charge for a "lead".  This site has turned into a complete joke.  I used to actually get clients, altough pretty rarely, with the older credit system to where you could actually know how much a potential job would cost to bid.  Then you switched to this stupid random rate for jobs.  Exucse me, "leads".  Since this switched, I have not gotten a single job.  Hardly any jobs come through that could even be considered worth looking at.  The final straw was when a job did come through, the job poster was "nice" enough to respond back to me with 2 sentences saying they would like to know more and never responded back after that.  For this wonderful exchange of text on a screen, I was robbed of $51.  And yes, I literally mean robbed.  The person never responded back and never hired anyone.  It makes me think that thumbtack now employs people to create fake jobs to have people bid so they can respond once and take people's money.  

I called customer support about this and the lady I talked to said she couldn't explain how they figure out how much money they steal from people for providing "marketing" for certain jobs.  Here I thought that when you paid for marketing, the company would actively promote the business you run.  Not just do what craigslist does for free.  I feel really bad for anyone that has signed up for instant match and has this company that can't even tell people posting what certain jobs categories actually means, instantly send out your information randomly until your advertising budget runs out.  This site used to be good.

DrJay
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

I currently don't bid anymore because I do not know, and understand, what I will pay for a bid.  And when I do see a price, the price is so much that I will not make enough off of the job to do it, so I don't bid.  The type of people that look for a service on TT are the type that want a deal, want to pay bottom dollar for those services and will try to talk you down.  Once you commit to spending top dollar to bid a low dollar job, you will be more willing to lower your price even further so you don't lose the job so you hope to break even.  So because of all of this, and the amount of other pro's bidding as well (which is way too many pro's bidding) I have opt'ed to stop bidding.  TT is wanting premium dollars for bids on low dollar services.  Us pro's cannot stay in business bidding this way through TT, so most of us have stopped bidding.

Example of bid price:  I was charged over $20 to bid, just bid no contact with the customer just to bid, and the job was not won by me and I only told them I would do the job for $100.  So if I did win I would have only made $80, minus the bid charge.  So $80 to do a job that is not even worth $80 for me to do.  If you go back to the old way that worked for us with limiting the number of pro's that can bid, and using the old credit purchase way, it would go a long way to getting back to where us pro's can make money again, and then we might come back to TT. But as of right now, I have no plan of bidding again on TT until I see major improvements.

Mkat4464
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
In the past I have gotten some great clients. However it’s been quite some time. I agree in that it seems that many are shopping around, not serious or don’t want to pay for a pro. Unfortunately, anyone can list their services on TT. These people should hire the neighborhood kid or a hobbyist. I’m a licensed credentialed professional in my field so guess not everyone is willing to pay for that.