Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

Since you changed pricing, I no longer use Thumbtack.  The price for potential leads is way too high.  I'm a videographer.  The changes you've made don't work in a creative work environment.  

What's worse, there appears to be no way to give feedback on your website.  I appreciate you starting this conversation, but it's too little, too late.  I'm a video pro that no longer uses your website.  Please consider returning to the old business model. 

CSS
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

I REALLY don't like the new monetary system Thumbtack rolled out. It's terrible and there's no understanding as to how much I'm going to get charged. It makes me quote fewer jobs because I could end up getting charged $60 for something that I end up not getting (has happened multiple times already). I would love to see Thumbtack go back to the credit system, at least then I know what it's going to cost me up front. I also really don't like instant match. What a waste of time, why would I want a completely vanilla and stale message that doesn't accurately represent the cost of the job to go out to a potential customer? 

Thumbtack has lots of issues and if it keeps going this direction, I see myself using it less and less. Not much use for a professional service where the people running the site are the only ones making real money.

0 Kudos
thebugguync
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I do not believe your current pricing system is beneficial to the professional. The amounts fluctuate based on a criteria that you have not explained to the professional. I do not believe you can accurately determine the value of a job based on what the customer submits. I do not think the customer know how to answer the questions accurately. The professional should not get charged for the quote and for customer contact. The pricing should be a set fee. It should not fluctuate based on Thumbtack's value of job. I have seen a decline in actuall jobs from Thumbtack. My out of pocket expense has increased. I do not like that you charge on Sundays but then can also charge during the week whenever a threshold is meet. I have seen additional charges when the threshold has not been meet. There are too many frequent changes. Please consider a set fee. 

0 Kudos
trisha
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi, I like the idea of only paying when a client replies or engages with you, but I also think $12 is too much since I'm charged when someone replies or asks a question and then never follows up to book a service with me. It has happened 3 times recently so that's $48 I paid with no return. Perhaps charging less or charging once they actually book or when there's been two or more replies?

0 Kudos
Soe
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
As to your pricing and how our thoughts can help? In my line of work “ DJing etc” it would help if there is a set price for BOOKED EVENTS ONLY. At this time you charge the customer “US” a to just answer a question. I have shared numerous time to just charge a % of the bill once booked. That way you could not discriminate on your pricing the way you do now. Why do I say that? Is because depending on the location and the amount of guests is just 2 of the factors within your algarethem on how we get charged. To me that is discrimination and not to just your customer but my customer as well. I feel a 5% charge would be more than enough for you to still make money from my category of work. That would allow your customer “US” to send out 10 times the amount of quotes allowing the possibility of both of us being profitable.

Thank You
0 Kudos
PM
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I am really tired of paying so much money for Thumbtack. I have been with Thumbtack since August 2017 and have spent over $11,000. With Thumbtack's new system, I now pay over $400 per month for leads that sometimes go nowhere. I have paid $47 for wedding photography inquiries just because a customer said "Hi" but nothing else regardless of how many messages I sent them. With Thumbtack's raised prices per lead, I just about break even OR I don't make a profit. Top Pro status equates to no monetary benefits on Thumbtack (i.e. cheaper priced leads, free leads, etc) and it makes no difference to customers because they are mostly concerned with the cheapest quote. If Thumbtack wasn't so greedy, it would be a much better marketing system and it would be easier to track how much I will pay per month. With that being said, I would rather pay a monthly fee so I can know how much I will be charged and can better manage my money. $200 per month is much more affordable than $400+ and I would be more apt to use Instant Match consistently. Thumbtack claims they care about professionals and professionals' needs but that care only stretches so far until it gets to Thumbtack's profit off of professionals. 

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

As a Top Pro, I wish I could continue to have faith in Thumbtack and continue to recommend it to other pros, but I simply can't do that anymore.

The pricing is now too convoulted to be counted on and the leads (while they've always been bargain hunters) used to be authentic. Now I get scammers and flakes. I used to tell people I got one good photography client a month on Thumbtack, which was great considering I'm a high-end photographer. Nowadays, it's more like 0 per month with money going down the toilet. This Top Pro's days with Thumbtack are numbered unless something drastic changes.

Reading this thread, I'm glad to see I'm not alone. The previous pricing structure of $3-$5 per lead is the only thing that makes sense.

jdi915
Level 3

Solved! Jump to solution

I shouldn't be charged until I've been hired. Charging on an initial contact doesn't make sense. I've been charged for people who mistakenly contact me, then message me back saying it was a mistake. What if I make initial contact with the person and then they or I decide after one message that the job isn't a good fit for us? There's no chance to do my due diligence when I'm being charged just for someone saying they might, maybe, probably, want to work with me. I can't budget when I'm blindly chasing down leads and being charged for every one that wants to discuss details. This is what Upwork and Fiverr do in their own way - they don't make money unless I'm making money. Thumbtack should too. I can't use you guys because you charge too much, you charge too early, and the people who use Thumbtack mostly only want to pay $150 for a session. I would lose money on that. 

Solved! Jump to solution

My largest concern is the way you charge.

I understand that with instant match people reply to the quote they see and we get charged.

This is my problem.

Even with the calendar updated, I get charged when they reply asking "are you available on my date?"

If we sent the quote we are available. To get charged for that seems ridiculous and redundant

I want to know why can't we be charged AFTER we reply to a customer?

We should be able to decline and not be charged.

Highlighted
Photo-Frank
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

1. I want to know what the client is willing to pay & what it will cost me to quote.

2. I want a prompt refund if the client picks me & then backs out & refuses to communicate.

3. While I would be happy to talk to someone who is unsure what they need, etc.,  I will not quote to a client who chooses the "Just need more info" option.  Why should I have to pay to educate them? There should be a simple way to comment & maybe start a dialog before the formal quote.

4. I do not want quotes to be sent out in my name without my prior input & permission.