Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
beep777
Level 6

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

I have not been around long enough to know what the system was like before when there were credits.

My main complaint would be getting charged for replies from potential customers who aren't serious and just flake out and have their uncle prepare their tax return or go away and never come back. As of right now, 12 out of 15 people who contacted me were never serious about getting their tax returns prepared and are what I would call false leads. Either you have to slash the fee for us getting contacted so we can weather the false leads, or you could implement a new charge structure to where we only get charged when we actually get hired.

Also, let the potential clients know we are getting charged before they complete their response to us.

Brian

DR
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Hi. I have a band. I think it’s a little bit difficult to figure out how to fit us into your model that is tailored for plumbers, landscapers, handymen, etc.
That said, I am happy overall with where the pricing is-with a few tweaks.
First-I don’t mind paying for a response-IF it’s not to say “thanks, but no.” This before I’ve even had a chance to respond! If someone is genuinely interested, fine. For this reason I don’t follow up any of my leads, since most of the time they are not interested and respond that way-which would cost me a fee.
Second-many people fill out the form wrong when making the request-usually the length of time of the gig. They often put 6-10 HOURS in that field. Since I assume that is one of the main metrics you use to figure out what to charge, it skews that figure. We rarely play more than 3 sets.
Thumbtack has been good to my band, so that’s good! That’s my 2 cents.

Second-
0 Kudos
LynnAnderson
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree with the majority of the comments . Before, pricing was still muddy, but you had an idea of what you were going to pay per lead. Now, you don't have a clue other than it increased by more than 15x what I first paid less than a year ago. If you are going to charge per lead, fine, not a problem, but set a price. This "depending on the interest". Period. I have used "fly-by-night pay for leads" before and they are much more honest and open about what they are charging you than you guys. Let me put it this way: "would you go into a retail store or a grocery store and purchase an item without knowing the price? Here is a gallon of milk. How much is it today? We don't know, once you receive your credit card charges, you will find out. Oh look, someone else was interested in that same gallon of milk, so we had to increase the price by 15x." No one in their right mind would do this. 

Mkat4464
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
Pros should only pay when they’re hired. I have seen charges for quotes I never responded to. That’s BS!

Solved! Jump to solution

I've noticed that on wedding floral quotes, especially now that budget is removed that the profit opportunity on the wedding and the pricing to quote don't seem to be well connected. I think the disconnect may come from the "wedding size" field. Let me expand: a 300 person wedding that only wants personal flowers (bouquets, boutineres, etc) is going to have a much smaller floral budget that a 150 person wedding that wants centerpieces and ceremony flowers and personal flowers. 

Example: 
I recently saw an opportunity for a wedding where the budget looked to be about $1000 where it was ~$25 to quote and a wedding three or four times that budget for ~$12 to quote. 

It would be helpful if the services needed fields could be updated to get a better sense of the wedding size/opportunity 

0 Kudos
Connie1
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I’m fairly new to the app and have been very concern with the pricing. The leads prices are way to high. If someone respond with, “ hi, I’m just looking for pricing.” I’m charged $13 and up just for that. And when I reply most are just looking around for pricing and are not looking to hire someone. Three leads cost me $97 this week. And nothing came of it! There should be a fee for the clients looking to ensure they are serious about hiring someone or I read others taking about credit each lead should be a few credits. So for $50 you get 20 credits. Something needs to change because if not I will have to stop using this app. $97 a week for nothing is too much for small businesses. You will lose a lot of pros with these outrageous prices.
Cheryl
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I'm paying $20 - $30 for people just to ask are you available and nothing else. Then I am not even getting leads that are in my area forcing me to up my instant match. Too much money for unsure customers. Thumbtack is essentially robbing me.
BuildabooDEE
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
The most confusing part is why some contacts are more expensive than others. It varies a lot for me and I don’t understand why. How do you determine whether someone is more likely to hire you, than others? I also don’t like the fact I can’t send quotes if you feel I am going to go over my budget, but haven’t. I feel the pricing is extremely high, paying over $20 just for a contact that doesn’t guarantee a job is too much, for my type of services at least. I also feel like the pricing has increased significantly over the last few months.
0 Kudos
jjhoyt
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution

We receive a lot of request for jobs that we typically charge less then $100. These are inherantly jobs wtih very small profit margins to begin with. Examples woutd be:

I need a new mailbox lock or key.

I need a deadbold installed or rekeyed.

I am looked out of my car or house.

I lost my car key and I need a new one made.

I lost my house key and I need a new one made.

For jobs like this it makes no sense to pay a referral fee. As the percentage of the time that we get the job is also very low. Typically someone going to Thumbtack for a job this small is a penny pintcher, and wil just select the person with the lowest price.So, even if we got 1 out of 5 jobs that we responded to, the cost of 5 leads would cost us more than what we made on the 1 job.

The cost for small jobs would have to be extremely low for it to make sense for us to respond to those.

0 Kudos
Ernestcj
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

I STOPPED using Thumbtack.  I was charged $33.00 for a lead and all the customer asked was "If I was available?"  A $33.00 charge for a question?  Not to mention that I had not recieved any work in almost a year.  I use to average 20 bookings per year.  This site is worthless in  marketing my DJ business and helping me get work.  

0 Kudos