Best Answer

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Community Regular
Best Answer
In October for an example, I paid $8 for plumbing pipe repair then y'all charged me $16 for another one. It's the same type of job. Why is it so high and why I'm getting different price for the same type of work.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I will tell my personal story here to demonstrate why I was really turned off to Thumbtack after my first impression as a professional (I will also use round numbers to keep this brief):

For my industry/service, Thumbtack told me that a weekly budget of $40 should get me 2-3 quotes.  Meaning, I should expect to be commnicating with 2-3 potential customers if/when I achieve $40 of my budgetted spend.

For my first two potential customer experiences, I dealt with one 1 potential customer each week and my budgetted amount was fully used.  I am still skeptical as to why/how this happened.  At a minimum, the 'estimate' provided by Thumbtack was proven to be incredibly wrong.

Secondarily, I wish there was a mechanism in place to assess whether the connection is a true connection.  For example, when new to Thumbtack, I asked a potential customer a clarifying questino about their request and was then charged when they responded.  I didn't realize I would be charged for that sort of interaction and sure enough it was not a project I was even interested in offering my services for.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
The pricing is unfair practice. It is very high compared to other options. Im paying for customers reaching out ti me that are outside of my travel area. There is NO way I cam sercice them and im still paying for it. Not happy!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

We have long debated about leaving thumbtack due to pricing.  We feel your prices are random and not set.  We are disappointed that we are not able to list that our price is NA instead of being forced to say it's $1.  that's just bad business.  it has decreased our leads.  we have a price range depending upon what the clients pet needs.  We don't post prices because we have a variable item.

Also we are not in agreement with being charge nearly 11$ for a client to contact us.  We have often lost money from your sight.  With Google we pay a set price per click.  I feel for a dog training company that charges from $70 and up 11$ is a huge cut.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
It costs too much I paid $65 in 2 weeks and only actually got 1 job. Prior week to that 1 job. I can't afford to pay for$25 jobs. I'm living check to check. An individual business. I used to be able to quote work for $5 and actually get jobs. Now it's a gamble whether I will get any jobs at all. Most people are just saying they are still reviewing ads for pros yet I still have to pay$25 that's a bunch of crap. You need to switch back instead of scamming us out of our money. I'm thinking of calling the BBB. You've gone from helpful to confusing, irritating and good deal to get work to a horrible plan that doesn't give work for your money. Is not clear of what you are getting for the money. It's a horrible change if you ask me. I've been using Thumbtack since 2016. And the other Porch.com is no better.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Your pricing is RIDICULOUS. I’m a TOP PRO, and have been for over a year. This last week was blowout season for landscaping in Colorado, and so I sent about 10 quotes through Thumbtack.

Well, a blowout only costs $35-40 to the client, but I PAID THUMBTACK $11 every time someone contacted me. And only half of the ones that responded went with me anyways.

I LOST MONEY THIS WEEK THROUGH THUMBTACK.

NO THANKS!! Was great last year. Not anymore.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
One of the challenges is the inconsistency of the pricing. As a pro, I set a budget every week and do find it frustrating when the same amount of guests was charged 21.00 one week and 52.50 another week.

I suggest you create and provide a rubric for the pros. And send it to us ahead of time. That way we can view and allocate whether we choose to bid on the account .

Also, I did not feel we should be charged if the client responses “sounds good what’s next? Or “ how do we begin services? You reply and they do not have the courtesy to reply back.

I believe we should Only be charged with those high amounts if it is apparent that dialogue is two way not just one way. that is fair for all involved, as they do not realize we pay when they hid those buttons!!
Highlighted
Best Answer

Active Community Member
Best Answer

YES!!! Those quick reply buttons are worthless. So many times I reply quickly to their message and get NO RESPONSE. I got charged, but the customer never even responded to my message. And Thumbtack blames US. We "should have followed up more." After a few times of sending three or four messages trying to get a response, with NO RESPONSE. I am not going to act desperate. I am just going to turn off Instant Match. And I'm going to be VERY selective on who I bid on.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Since I haven't been using Thumbtack regularly because of my own lack of developing a decent website and/or images that are readily available for customers I can't say that either the old system or new system is effective for your users.

Bidding on jobs before Thumbtack we would bid according to the size of the job and the value we put on certain customers.  Since this all random and we don't have an established relationship at the time we are bidding I think it is fair that you would charge us according to the size of the project.  Since I am a photographer maybe a sliding scale would be appropriate.  Example:

$250-$500 = $10 fee

$500-$750 = $15 fee

$750-$1000 = $20

I think this would be fair.  Different job types of course would require different pricing since their jobs can be much larger than this.

Thanks for checking.

Cal

0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I appreciate your service and the forum you have given me to expand my business. However, I truly believe we should ONLY be charged when we are ACTUALLY HIRED FOR OUR SERVICES!! Far TOO many I have been "contacted" only to be asked inane questions or to be told they're going in another direction. And that's fine, I understand we're not gonna be hired for every job, but being charged soley for being "contacted" can be very cost prohibative at times! 

Thanks for hearing me out! 

Rich