Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Community Regular
Best Answer
Right! Also why are we charged when we decline a quote? I have been unavailable for the date of the quotes, so I declined an it stated that I had already paid for the quote. I think that is very unfair.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I preferred buying leeds at a set price.  I also don't like being charged if someone responds with a question.  Its infuriating actually!  I preferred it when a perspective customer sets  a budget as I am onthe higher side so if a client has a small budget I will most likely not send a quote thereby saving money if the client responds with a question.  I have been quoting on fewer jobs because of this.  It's just not professional the way its set up now as its extremely arbitrary.  If you go back to selling leeds at a set price and asking for a budget I will be back. Good luck. 

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
Thumbtack is great, it I have received many valuable contacts from it. I am a Top pro and I would suggest thumbtack to anyone offering a service.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Where is it going?

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
It’d be nice to know what prices you charged for what lead. Also the fluctuation on prices and it does seem to have charged me a couple of times and I can’t find out why. Specifically on ceiling fan installs. Transparency is needed
0 Likes
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

It's not a question of confusion, but of fairness.  The old system worked, and I regularly sent out bids using Thumbtack.  The new system is not only unfair, but unpredictable, and I haven't sent out a bid via thumbtack since the changes were implemented--I don't plan to, either, though I've kept my profile in the hope that things will eventually change back to the old system.

The credit system worked just fine--I don't know if you guys at Thumbtack got greedy, or actually needed more money, or why the changes were implemented, but they don't work for your freelancers.  It's not fair to charge me a percentage of what a job is worth if I don't get the job.  Why would I use your site to bid when I might get charged 10-80$, when I could just as easily send bids out on Upwork, where I'll ONLY get charged if I actually land a job?  Most clients who contact freelancers post-bid are asking questions, many of them based on information that was either in the original bid or offering information which should have been in the original job post.  And yet, you're charging numerous freelancers a percentage of a job's worth--whatever You consider to be fair--when only one person will get hired and earn money.  That doesn't even address the fact that many clients in my own area of freelancing will overstate things in order to attract freelancers to their post or get lower bids.  For instance, I'm a full-time editor; half the posts I see on Thumbtack and Upwork talk about future work coming a freelancer's way if they're hired for this one job and do great work. Because I get hired for a lot of jobs like that, I can tell you honestly that it's only perhaps half of those clients saying that who actually end up needing my services again--in some cases because they overstated things on purpose, and in others just because they never get around to doing the writing that would eventually require my services.  BUT, on your end, you probably judge that little sentence/promise is signifying that a job is worth more.  Realistically, it's not.

So, yeah--in short, I won't be using Thumbtack again until you guys move back to the credit system or implement a system where I can judge how much I'll get paid versus how much I'll be paying to you, or where I'll only get charged if I actually land a job.  Otherwise, you're not worth my time.  I've been a full-time freelancer for five years now, and while I appreciate that Thumbtack is one of the sites that helped me build my success, I got to this point because I make smart decisions.  Using thumbtack is no longer a smart decision, as the payment policy stands now.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
It is impossible to determine the value of a catering job. I do pulled pork sandwiches from $9.95 to Prime Rib for $28.95. Customers don't list menu needs or service needs in a request. If a customer responds to your listing... And you do not contract the event... Huge waste of money. I liked the credit system. .I will not use your new system until it changes. I can not afford to spend money in your new system. I spent marketing money on a new Web site. When it changes I will come back.. If not you may not be in business very much longer.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I dislike the way pricing is now because I have no idea what I'm going to be charged if someone contacts me.  I liked it better when I knew up front what I would be charged.  There are pros and cons to both ways.  The original pricing charged me for just sending a quote, but it was not too expensive.  The way it is now, I don't get charged until a customer contacts me, which is great.  But I may be charged $20.  And for a $25 job, it's just not worth it.  My preference would be to go back to the old way of pricing.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
I feel the pros should know how much a quote will cost before we quote.
Also a lot of customers are price shopping and send a generic reply but aren't interested.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I mainly have a rain gutter company. Why do you charge approx $8 for a Gutter installation quote, and approx $17 plus for a Ggutte clean out? That should be reversed in my opinion. What are you basing your charges on?  If I bid a clean out job, there are so many pros low balling to win the did, I might make $50 profit on a job like this. On an installation job the profit margin is much higher .I can bid a job for several hundreds of dollars, and I'm only paying $8 for the bid .It just doesn't make sense why I pay more to you, for a smaller job with much less potential for profit. 

Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
I Appreciate you All saying you want to HEAR From Us As Long as You Are Really LISTENING! It's almost TOO Expensive for Myself(just a 1 Woman biz) to Use Thumbtack and that makes Me SAD as I WAS Getting a Good volume of Business earlier but I Send a Message with each quote I send and express my availability or ability to send samples and 2 minutes later DUE to PROMPTS From Thumbtack they ask IF I'm AVAILABLE or have SAMPLE Playlists and I AM CHARGED $18-45 dollars for THAT... Ridiculous!! I've already expressed these things by #1 quoting in the first place and #2 in my personal message to them...I Have NO Problem paying for leads of value but YOU Guys please Help US Out!!! These Prices Are NOT Working for Some of Us 😞 Thanks for the Forum 🙂