Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

Having perused the 10-12 comments ahead of mine, I totally agree with all of them.  With the new "get charged when they reply" system, I have tried to move away from Thumbtack altogether.  It's totally ridiculous and outrageously expensive.  if someone replies to my introduction, I'm charged $25-$50 on average, and that is far from a guaranteed job/work.  I have not been hired in months, and that's likely due to my fear of inviting a reply and getting charged and then never hearing from the client again.  Was much better, though still costly, with the old system.  At least if providers really wanted the job they could bid on it.

0 Kudos
TW
Level 4

Re: Pricing etc

Solved! Jump to solution

I am both distressed and reassured to find others expressing the same problems that I now have with Thumbtack.  When I began my wedding business back in 2015, TT was the core of my marketing.  Fellow professionals were at the time dismissive of TT, but it worked wonderfully for me - and I was an enthusiastic customer.  When my fellow professionals scorned TT, I figured that diminished my competition, and I simply took advantage of the enhanced opportunity.  When I could buy credits in advance and make a personal pitch to each customer, I won many contracts and felt like TT was an excellent source of business and a good deal.  When the "changeover" occurred a year or so ago and I was forced to use canned responses, (by being badgered every day with messages and personal calls from your representatives)  and the price structure changed, my business through TT dropped to almost zero.  I am now just barely staying with TT because I might occassionally get a wedding, but I am very dissatisfied with the whole new structure.  My price on TT has dropped, and my TT fee has increased.  TT has moved from the core source of my busniness  to something far out on the margins.

It has not been entirely clear to me whether this change was driven by TT's new structure alone or by the market in general.  I fully understand that in the current internet marketing environment people are tempted to look primarily at price with quality being a distant second.   I have marketed with severel sites similar to TT which turned out to be for "bottom feeders."  I soon cut them off.  I wasn't even going to reach for that market.  TT dropped into that category for me.  With my being forced to use canned responses, I assumed that price became the only issue for my potential customers.  Since I am at the high end of the market, my TT business shrank to almost zero.  But this sharply contrasts with my earlier experience when I was able to make a personal appeal, specifically respond to the needs of potential clients, and convince the clients of the value of my higher prices.   Whatever all the contributing influences, the radical change in my client base from high to almost nothing occurred at the exact time you changed your system from autimated quoting to canned and your price structure from pre-purchased to whatever formula you now use. 

Since you are unlikely now to return to your previous system, I don't know what the solution is.  What I do know is that TT is now - unfortunately - almost useless to me.  Which is the reason I have dropped from being a "Top Pro" for several years running to having only 1 out of 5 points now.

Highlighted

Solved! Jump to solution

Pricing has changed over the years, from a few dollars to now over $15 a lead and over time it gets very costly. Even if the customer writes you saying not interested because the quote is to high and us replying to workout a better deal, and not getting a reply back we lose and have to pay the fee. The system was easier and less expensive, and now we dont know what things cost and get charged directly to our account. I understand that Thumbtack is growning and Thumbtack is asking for more money but it shouldnt effect us. I'm a top pro and get around 1 landed client a week compared to 3-4 landed clients a week, and now Im getting charged different amounts because we all dont know what a quote cost. I think we shouldn't pay until they hire and not when they reply plus going back to credit systems and dropping down the pricing.

danielblue
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Your pricing is not transparent. What are we paying for? What is the breakdown? Who sets these prices? I have been a commercial photographer for almost 10 years and so don’t think Thumbtack understands what it takes. It’s time you started bringing in the pros to discuss pricing to get a sense of where the market is. Thumbtack has a big responsibility setting market values and you guys are not doing a good job. Because you don’t know what it’s like to work in the field.
Krmayberry
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
Smaller job leads are definitely overpriced good job at cost thousand dollars to do should be $25 I don’t have a problem paying more for jobs that are five to $10,000 my biggest gripe is people open up My request and then don’t contact me no reason why we should have to pay for not being able to contact the potential customer

Solved! Jump to solution
While pricing is expensive sometimes (occasionally as much as 20%) my biggest concern is fairness.
I recently had 3 clients contact me, one was outside of my defined service area, one just repeated his original quote request and one allegedly called me when no call was received.
All three were refused a refund, as a business owner I partner with Thumbtack in the expectation that you are working for me and when I show that the information you provide is incorrect I expect you to work with me and that resolving the issue to my satisfaction would be your top priority.
When Thumbtack works against in as in these three matters I will no longer recommend your program, and have actually moved my advertising dollars over to another platform until Thumbtack reconsiders its policy on refunds.
0 Kudos
ACS
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

The only thing that I really don't like is that for the Instant Matches when I get a message that states customer wants to know your availability or would like to discuss further, I rarely ever talk to those customers. If I respond or not, I've already been charged.  I had 3-4 of those last week and they get up there in pricing for someone that never responds no matter how many times I reply to their messages.  I wish it was a better way to handle those.

RefinedCo
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

From reading the responses already posted, I have to I say that I agree with each of them on some level.  When I first came across your site, it was amazing and simple to understand.  I knew how to budget (which for a small business is essential) around my marketing needs and habits.  Now, I don't get that luxury and have stopped quoting/using Thumbtack as much as my alternate marketing strategies.  I also get random charges and have no idea who they are linked to without "doing research" of some kind, which is hard to do on the phone app, as is. 

In short, i feel the charging structure needs to be set and not fluctuate so frequently (every few months it seems to change).

One other aspect that I disagree with is how on my pofile, I got a 1 star review by someone who has never been a client, and yet that takes me out of the "top pro" status (also getting less responses because of that) and it isn't even someone i've worked with or for.   

there needs to be consistency. 

gjtabor
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I used your service a lot when you had the OLD SYSTEM.  The new system has me paying for a LOT of "low ball" people wanting a wedding for next to nothing.   On the old system I would pay $6-7 for a wedding ceremony. Now it over OVER $20.  Most want a wedding for $100 at the most.  Your price is not worth it.  WeddingWire has higher quality people wanting a wedding and works much better fror me.  Under the old system I could pick and choose who (based on my experience) I wanted to send a quote to or not.  The new system does not work for me.  If you choose to allow people to choose between the old system and the new system I will choose the old system. I don't expect that so I do NOT USE TT ANYMORE. 

0 Kudos
Ma
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
I appreciate your doing this. Like many of my colleagues I find the escalation and charges disturbing and ultimately it may take me 100% out of the Thumbtack community. I do not believe it is fair to charge just because somebody emails me what’s the next step? Quite simply put I think it is fair to charge only when the client hires me.

I am fully aware that you are charging every single pro so you might be paid Buy five of us if a client unwittingly says “tell me more or what’s the next step?”

Also Thumbtack has never been transparent about what it is you were charging and why. We are also not told what our competitors are charging.

It’s been my experience it when I get a referral outside of Thumbtack the client perceives my services as a great relief and begins the dialogue by asking how we can engage in this process together.

With Many Of the Thumbtack Clients the big discussion always centers around price. I feel that I am continually having to prove myself.

The going rate for organizers is $80 an hour. I charge Thumbtacl Clients 66 and hour and for under $90 an hour I can provide a team of two. Instead of receiving gratitude I receive grumpiness. I don’t have a TV so I’m not sure how you were advertising our services but I think there’s a problem when everything is about price and not about quality.

Also probably the biggest problem is I have more than 53 reviews most of them are excellent and I am still not considered a top pro because there was one negative review. To top it off that client ended up stopping payment on her check after the job was done and when I called Thumbtack your support staff said that they better talk to the client and I had to explain to them that I was the major client. They promised to get back to me and they never did. No I am out over $1000, and I’m still not a top pro and I’m getting fewer jobs and ever and Thumbtack but I’m paying more each month. This sentiment seems to be echoed by my colleagues here.

I am in San Francisco and I think it would be necessary to have another in person for him like you did last year and have an in person dialogue about these issues.

I find the Thumbtack job said I get extremely interesting and I’m able to produce great results for clients . that’s why I’ve stayed with you so far but if I’m going to be paying 30 to 60 a week and getting only one job that my net me about $260 that is not worth it as I’m sure you would agree.

I also got some kind of a correspondence from someone saying that she had a way to get me more customers on Thumbtack and to please schedule a phone interview with her . She never called me at the time she said she was going to and when I said I would still like to speak with her she told me to direct my questions to her in writing. I told her I could not do that because I had no idea what she was calling me about in the first place and that mysteriously was the end of that communication.

I know you are still growing as a company However I think it’s important to always remember that without the pros you have no company. So this pricing structure absolutely needs to be reconsidered, like yesterday
0 Kudos