Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
BenkoHaul
Level 4

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
I was never a big fun of Thumbtack. The old system was acceptable but the new system is a total scam. I send a quote out then I either never get a response OR I get a meesage back saying “sounds good” and that’s it my bank account $30-$50 down. Ridiculous!!!! We should not be charged any fee unless we got hired and the job is done. Also there should be a fee for the customers too. It could be an awesome website but you guys are way too hungry.... very disappointed and ready to stop using Thumbtack. I am ready to quit but I have some credit from a refund. As soon as the credit is gone you lost a user. Unless you come up with a better system. Thanks for the opportunity to share this. Good luck!
Rozarak
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I am spending more money than I am actually making. For leads, we get charged anywhere from $30-$80 and we get a bunch of "leads" of people just saying something along the lines of "Thank you for your quote." and then disappearing off the face of the Earth no matter how many times you try following up with them. It's atrocious.

Thumbtack is putting the priority of making money over the priority of maintaning a satisfied client base. As of this moment, I am no longer sending quotes to anyone through Thumbtack. I haven't deactivated my account yet with the hope that Thumbtack will revise this poorly made business model of theirs to make Thumbtack Pros happier with the service. If the service continues with this greedy business model, I'll be deactivating my account and moving away from Thumbtack. Believe it or not, I'm spending more money than I am actually making! After calculating how much Thumbtack has charged me, with the time, effort, and costs of my work I'm seeing that I'm actually losing more money than I'm actually making from using Thumbtack.

I have had more success running Facebook Lead Generation Ads with a $1,000 budget at $6-$9 per lead. If only Thumbtack came close to this pricing. Unfortunately, I'm paying up to $70 so someone can say "Hello!" to me and then disappear. Don't bother calling Thumbtack Support for a refund request either. Their "strict refund policy" will count any response from an "interested customer" as a valued lead.

Thumbtack is nothing without Thumbtack Pros. The more pros that leave your platform, the more likely it is you will go out of business. Keep your Pros happy and revise your business model if you wish to keep us around.

lodge
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

No phone number i will not bid.  I follow up and find that no real job is happening that a realtor wanted a bid on a home that has not be purchased after 15 messages.  I need to know that these jobs are real. and a phone call gives some chance of limiting the number of contacts.  It is one thing to pay your fee, and to have jobs that will never happen but to have 15 attempts to contact wastes time that is the true bad cost.  Not sure you are better than Home Advisor.  Kent Lodge

carmap
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

The way you charge changes so frequently, I've just given up. If it was a percentage of my fee, that would be straightforward and easy to understand. But being charged for the opportunity to be ignored is not worth it to me.

EJPhotoPro
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
Pros: new "no pay unless contacted" feature is nice! Having the option to set a dead stop budget is nice! Seeing exactly what each potential lead will cost before submitting bid... Nice!

Cons: Pricing is inconsistent with jobs. For example, as a photographer a wedding is considered as "event photography" which can be a pretty significant return on investment (bid prices between $20-$30). However, a birthday party/bar mitzvah/baby shower are also considered "event photography" but carry a significantly less return on investment for the bid price ($15-$20). I've missed alot of potentially good jobs simply because I was not willing to pay $20 bucks for a lead that MIGHT land me a $150 photo shoot.

That is all!
0 Kudos
Sarahs
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I opted in for the auto bid which does save me a bit of money however the number of people who reach out and then cost me is getting ridiculous.  I usually respond within 30 minutes and often see I am the only person they contacted and still they disappear. Many of these people start with one of the auto questions like "What's next? or when's your next availability" and then nothing after I reply.  I think firstly they should be required to write something because I am beginning to wonder if these people are even real or just a way to get our money.  And secondly I think they should be charged something to put in a request and then perhaps get refunded when they book with you.  That would weed out many people and perhaps would incentivize businesses to return to Thumbtack.  I keep hearing people say they used to love Thumbtack but now............Something has to change! 

The fact that customers are told on the bidding site "It's free with no obligation to hire" immediately suggests to them click away even if you are not really interested.  That hurts our businesses and does not honor that you are trying to help small businesses.

Solved! Jump to solution
I think the pricing for waitstaff is too high! When we first were sending quotes it was $3.34 a quote . Now when client contacts you it is over $11.00. This is too high
0 Kudos
Shanna
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

I’m considering leaving Thumbtack because the pricing is not consistent. I can be charged from $12 to $34 when potential liners contact me.  I also hate that i’m charged when insta match sends a quote to a client and I get the automated contact response from clients.

Also why can’t we give our starting budgets we would work with.  I’m in the wedding industry and I’m charge fir talking with people who just want pricing and they know they can’t afford my services.

Why can Thumbtack be a monthly membership that have different tiers?

0 Kudos
2920Emani
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
Pricing has changed so much from the time that I started to now in the boot was affordable but now it’s so costly that I to be careful not to exceed my budget. And my budget is set at the lowest and it’s still $140 per month and sometimes I don’t even get jobs so now I have spent all that money and have no job and the the guidelines on which thumbtack will refund your money seems to be bias. Basically it’s no matter what happens Thumbtack’ want their money.
Highlighted

Solved! Jump to solution
Hello,

This new pricing model has made it really hard for my business to keep up. The previous “credit” driven model was much more fair. I normally use thumbtack for 1-3 leads per week. Maybe one of them works out, most of the time they don’t at all. The lead to customer conversion rate is already low on Thumbtack (probably because of the customer pays nothing model), but the previous pricing model still made it worth it. Now, I am charged almost 7x more for one lead, still with the same lead to customer conversion rate. The new pricing model assumes I use the “instant quote” feature and generally use Thumbtack more, but I simply don’t need to or want to. I’m going broke paying for leads that go nowhere, so I’ve stopped using Thumbtack very much at all.

My advice would be at the very least, cut down the price of leads close to where they previously were. Stop doing the “weekly budget” model where you have to spend a certain amount... some of us just like sending a few rather than the instant match.

One thing that would be incredibly beneficial to Pros would be to charge customers a very small fee ($5 or less) to reply to a Pro. That way, if a customer is replying to a Pro, they’re serious about you because their money is on the line too. You could do that in conjunction with the (reduced) fee you charge a Pro. Thumbtack is unfortunately full of leads that go nowhere, and your pricing model is to blame for that. There’s no responsibility on the side of the customer. In general, this would raise the quality of leads and make everyone in your community value the service more.

I doubt you will implement the customer fees, but at the very least, please please, for the sake of all of our businesses, reduce the cost of leads back to where it was originally. It literally costs me 7x more than it did before. I would love to use your service again, but unfortunately my money goes further elsewhere.

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos