results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Shelby
Level 1

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
Ugh. I’m starting to resent using Thumbtack. I only used them because they were cheaper than the online ads and Angie’s list at first. Now looking at my statements, I’m spending just as much.
0 Kudos
CarlosP
Level 3

Solved! Jump to solution
It was great when you bought credits. I would buy $80 worth and pay 1-3 credits per lead. Then it was switched from credits to money and the price for something simply is even expensive. I barely even use it now, since every lead costs up to $13-$15, It was way better off how it useto be.
Brentano
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
What I find most confusing about your pricing is that it varies up and down wildly depending on the job. So one minute a 4 hour wedding is $30 to answer a request (and it used to be $8) and then next it’s $2 to answer a request for 5 hour Wake. It’s constantly changing, and I’m sure it’s out of self improvement. But it isn’t improving anything. A fair price would be would be a percentage per hired job based off of the over all price to the customer quoted. So if the customer is giving me a thousand dollars for a job than I don’t mind paying a $30.00 for the lead, but if someone else gets it, I’m not giving you $30.00 for a lead I did not get. If you’re going to be a lead generating company then generate good leads and the people that don’t get the jobs shouldn’t get the shaft they shouldn’t be paying for you to stay in business if 10 people bid on a job you shouldn’t be making $30 times 10 for a $600 job because the word wedding was in the job description. And secondly the leads quite frequently are very misleading. There is never enough information to answer someone properly I have to asked them several questions to find out exactly what they need so I can figure out exactly what to charge them. The whole script that you run them through for a lead is miss leading. And charging based on how many hours someone thinks they need versus how many hours they wind up purchasing is complete sham.
You could really make a thumbtack more useful to me if you would stop changing how it works and where things are located at. Nothing drives me more crazy than trying to use the app and every time I type three letters it skips all the way to the end of my pasted script and I have to go scrolling back all the way up through my feed to find where I’m at so I can finish my typing if you want to fix the bugs fix the ones that are actually happening and not the ones that no one is aware of like having to go an extra step to find where my sent quotes are, they should be in my feed like they used to be know I have to remind myself to follow up because they don’t appear unless I go there. Your reminders don’t even come through most of the time. And while I typed this message this app or whatever you want to call it glitched out and started added text in randomly spots in my message so now that I’ve proof read this and erased all the weird stuff it pasted by itself I think I’ll sum it up by saying Thumbtack has been really good for me and I would like to keep enjoying using it but the prices lately have gone wacko!
SillyCar
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi Brentano,

I'm responding to your comment in particular because I really liked it and it reminded me of something I've said to Thumbtack multiple times over the past couple of years.

Let's use your $8 quote fee that you used to have for a 4 hour wedding as an example Brentano.

Two years ago, I contacted Thumbtack and said: "Instead of charging 5 pros $8 to bid and they all have to pay even though at least four of them won't get the job, Why don't you allow 5 pros to quote on the job and then the pro who gets the job pays $40. That way, Thumbtack gets the same $40 for the lead, but only the person who gets hired pays for it. AND, if no one gets hired, then no one pays because the lead was probably bogus anyway and why should Thumbtack get paid if they didn't get anyone a job? "

We don't get paid if we don't do the job for our clients, do we? I think if Thumbtack feels they can create enough good leads, they shouldn't have a problem not getting paid for the bogus ones. I personally wouldn't mind paying a decent buck for an actual hire as long as the amount is correct and consistent within the industry and job it's for.

Does anyone else think that this is a simple solution to this deeply flawed business model that Thumbtack has evolved into? 

0 Kudos
LeePfalmer
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I was excited about the instant match system, and the messaging support by Thumbtack was extremely helpful to understanding everything as I set it up, as it look a while to figure it out. But once I got up and running, the conversion ratio of contacts to paying customers did not justify the money spent for each Thumbtack contact, and I realized Thumbtack instant match would not work for me and I had wasted a lot of time setting up the account for a service that was too expensive to justify compared to my other venues. Perhaps I need to be a better sales persons once I get a contact, but at the current pricing for instant matches, I can't afford to keep using the system, and I've paused all instant matches. The Thumbtack messaging assistant told me the company spent a long time figuring out pricing and they'd pass on my input. Perhaps in some markets the pricing works for photography and video, but in my local market I've had to stop using the system.

Another problem with my services that don't have instant match is I've sent large quotes to prospective clients who then tell me they have a budget at 1/4 of my quote - but I still paid Thumbtack for a large quote even though the job wasn't viable for me to take at the clients small budget. This has kept me hesitant to respond to requests. 

AmWay
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
The lead for appliance repair doubled in price last week for no reason, the market didn't change and for sure the amount of pros didn't double either to justify it, most of the jobs have "0 or 1 pro contacted customer".
I would rather pay $3 and reply to each job than having to filter them and reply once a week, service call fee in my business is not high enough to justify the higher price.
0 Kudos
AM
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
So confusing! I have no idea what I’m getting charged what amounts for. The cost seems Extremely expensive!!! I’ve used it for three weeks now and won’t be continuing as it just seems way over priced. Maybe if there was a set price per lead and I actually knew what I would be paying I could budget it and make it seem worth it.
Highlighted
JENNIFER2018
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

As a caterer, my problem isn't so much the price I am being charged as it is the WAY I'm being charged.  I have completely stopped bidding on the jobs with 80+ people as it's just not worth it to me with the current set up.  I can't afford to pay $60 to Thumbtack for people to ask questions...it's just too much of a gamble for us, and we are a busy caterer.  I can't begin to imagine how companies that rely on Thumbtack for the majority of their business can function.  I have no problem paying $60 for a lead that converts to actual work but unfortunately I have no choice but to let all these jobs currently go by because of the gamble of just answering questions.

Mkat4464
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
Just now got a lead from someone out of my service area.
0 Kudos
Kdcatering
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I am also a caterer and the cost is to much. We can't afford $60 for someone to ask use a question or say "when are you available to talk" and they never call. I've tried to talk to customer service via messenger and now they don't even respond back. What happened to you thumbtack???? I've been "Pro of the Year" the last 5  years. All that hard work for a badge!

I see it seems everyone is on the same page by the comments, but thumbtack! 

0 Kudos