Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Reddoths2016
Level 4

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
This new pricing model is crazy. Makes us look beyond thumbtack or else earlier thumbtack was our major source. I also see less pros are quoting unlike before. Very disappointed and upset. The customers even have less pros to compare with.
Nothing can justify this huge increase in the price from $10/- to $60/- !! Would have been better to have increased slowly and a set price (maybe $20 for every lead, that’s 100% price increase for thumbtack) .
Unfortunately, pretty hard to spend this price on thumbtack leads for small business owners like us.
0 Kudos
JVCarpet
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I would like to start out by saying we joined Thumbtack in 2016 and it was a great tool to grow our business.  Bidding 1-3 credits seemed very reasonable. My first bid with the new pricing structure was in reply to "whats your availibilty". After reviewing this, I saw that he had asked the same to all the other carpet cleaners. I was charged close to $30.  WOW! I also had a repeat customer reach out to me specifically through Thumbtack and for me to respond was around $15.  I feel with the cut throat pricing needed to win bids in this area it really isn't worth it if I have to take such a hit just to reply.

sallydeng
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
I think it’s unreasonable for a job worth $200 to cost $25 to send a quote for. I sent two quotes and one stopped responding to me without even telling me if they were going to hire someone else, so I lost $25 there. I haven’t tried finding another project since because if my net gain was $150 I simply don’t have the dispensable money to keep sending quotes. While I think that it makes sense to have different costs for differentIy paid events, I think at most 8% (for an under $250 job, less than $20) is reasonable.
0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution
I think a payment chart should be created. Make it less confusing for a first time user of thumbtack. It's unfair for you to gauge what you should charge, based on our job description. You're not the pro and every pro in the same feild, prices differently. I think a fixed monthly fee would be a better approach. As a small business pro, we are faced with daily expenses, this measure would help and attract more pro's to the website and it would be profitable for you across the board.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dben41
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

The pricing is confusing because it fluctuates with every lead.

It is a rip off to be charged $35 for every time someone messages you. It should  be more like free or $3. If you get booked, then I'm fine with you taking $35. (GigMasters takes out $20 until you hit a threshold, and then they take like 3%). 

Here's a few of the scenarios I encountered within Thumbtack that has made me get off instant-match, and all but abandon Thumbtack, and use other platforms:

1. Many potential clients just message everyone in the instant-match line-up. Therefore charging every vendor.
  2. Many of the people that message will never message back. Making that a very expensive crap lead.
  3. What's to stop competition from just creating bunch of fake requests from different IPs, and send a bunch of messages?
  4. What's stopping Thumbtack from creating bots to create fake requests, to shake the vendor tree for money? I had one suspicious incident, which I reported to support, and then they didn't refund me, and then they deleted the lead and the messages.
  5. Many times I get a booking outside of Thumbtack, and I don't get a chance to update my calendar. But, if someone messages me, but I'm not available, I still get charged.
  6. In instant matching, you can't set holiday pay. Most vendors charge more on holidays. So a client contacts you because they like your pricing, but then you tell them that it's going to be 100% more because of the holiday, and then they're no longer interested. Another expensive but fruitless lead.
  7. You get no email, nor phone number for $35? That's ridiculous! 

Bottom line is, if these soft leads don't become free or $3, I'm going to focus on other platforms because they're cheaper and yield better gigs.

sabashaz
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Hi, this is Shaz and would like to talk about the pricing that thumbtack recently started for sending quotes. Honestly, I don’t like the new setup for payment which is extremely confusing. It was more clear previously when we were paying each time per quote. I talked to thumbtack representatives several times that I’m unable to use my credit card and PayPal option was way more easier for me but I didn’t get any positive response. I love thumbtack but I dislike their new policies of payment.
0 Kudos
smmartinez88
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

What I don't like is being charged, once the requestor sends a message. Twice now, people have sent a message and there is no follow through. I can understand if they did not agree with my services or pricing, but that is not the case with these 2 people.

One asks "how does this work", which they should already know before using this service. I suggested we set up and interview so we can see if I can be of service to the business and get no response.

Another sent me a message to let me know they were out of town and would be in touch in the next few days, I replied and let them know I was out of town as well, and that they could contact me the following week. I had not heard from them, so I sent a follow up email and get no response.

I do not feel like I should be charged for sending a quote, when the customer is not familiar with the website or if they are unresponsive.

Thank you, Sylvia

I agree with alot that is being said by other pros. It seems Thumbtack has gotten very greedy. I use to bid on more leads but now im very picky. Also, so many times im charged for a tire kicker, so, Thumbtack should charge the customer something so that only the serious will apply. I know that thanks to Thumbtack, i do have a huge tax write off for this year. Also, whats with the leads that contact me directly? Why would a simple lighting job cost me $17.33? Of course im going to turn that customer away, too expensive. I should be able to pick and chose the projects I want to do, not have the customer come directly too me for that kind of money. I get leads directly from people off of Yelp all day, and do not pay Yelp a dime. Wisen up Thumbtack, or you may be left behind.
0 Kudos
Debrameole
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I have been voicing my opinions for some time now. The radical jump in pricing is hard for a small time photographer as myself to handle. I cater to those who do not want to pay outragous prices for wedding photography. Those who are getting married for a second time or kids who want to get married in the park and don't have thousands to spend. So if I were to get the job that pays $295, pay thirty for the quote, gas to get there, flash drive for photos, memory card for the camera and hours of my time....for what? At this rate it may be time to give up wedding photography.

To me it is like a mom returning to work and giving up 3/4 of her pay for daycare....what's the point?

Your increases only benefit Thumbtack. The client has no idea how much money and time is put out by the vendor. If the potential client opens up 10 quoutes at $62 each, just to look at them, the vendor is out the cash and Thumbtack has come out on top.

This is my opinion and most likely that of many other small-time photographers. Other wedding service sites do not work this way so I am becoming increasingly disappointed in Thumbtack as a source of leads.

Debra M

che_a
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

well I exit thumptack before because it's crazy how u charge photographer's for just sending a quote which they can spent 250 dollars sending quote s and never get hire. The new setting is better but not the best , a customer response but do not hire the photographer, you guys just decide what ever money and charge the photographer depending on the customer response rate, Crazy.
what about you charge the photographer that get hire period.
The photographer not even knowing what they will be charge. lets know how much u will charge if the customer responses on each quote so we decide to send the quote or not.