Highlighted
Best Answer

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Community Regular
Best Answer

CUSTOMERS ARE NOT THE PEOPLE SEARCHING FOR PROS, WE ARE.

UNTIL YOU REALIZE THAT, YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT WE ARE SAYING.

WE ARE THE ONES WHO PROVIDE REVENUE.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Veteran
Best Answer

I'm certain your numbers are correct that 80% of the people putting in requests never saw pros, because I know from TT's own stats that in the old system, 95% of users never hired a pro. So, what are the new numbers with the new system? Because I clearly see that users see the instant match and walk away disgusted because that's where a lot of amateurs do there bids. The user never ends up seeing the real legit pros who put in manual submissions. EASILY 80% of the users never see the manually submitted requests.

If the changes are about getting us MORE customers, why are we getting LESS???

Tell us the numbers. Show us where MORE pros are getting hired. I want to know the stats for this year and the last 3 years please.

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
To be honest, your pricing model as a whole doesn’t work for me or any other pro I know and has caused me to leave your platform for your competitors.

The reason for this is that your pricing scheme does not hold customers and pros equally accountable for their behavior on the platform. What usually happens on Thumbtack is a potential customer asks a very basic question of me, I get charged for that contact, and then I never hear from that customer again.

I’m sure it’s convenient for the customer to be able to get their questions answered for free, but to charge a pro for that contact is ludacris. You’re not sending me real, serious, contacts here, so why should I be loyal to your platform.

This model also shows an ignorance for how freelance contracts are commonly negotiated and paid for. I’m happy to answer customer questions and negotiate to win the job, but no money should be changing hands between customers, pros,
or the platform until AFTER all terms are agreed upon on both sides. This is what Upwork does, and it’s much better. The customer is happy because they can ask questions of me before they pay anything, I can answer those questions to their satisfaction for free, and then when I win the job the platform gets paid. Right now Thumbtack has no accountability to send me legit contacts, so you’ve got low quality customers running around your platform costing pros a ton of money to answer a single question, and I’m not ever getting serious customers that want to book serious jobs. If you guys only get paid after a contract is agreed upon between a pro and a customer, now there’s financial incentive on the platform to get your matches right and make everybody happy.

Right now I feel like you’re making low quality contacts that aren’t in my best interest just to get paid.

Your profile options on Thumbtack do allow me to stand out in some interesting ways, but I can’t afford to come back to your platform until you get your pricing figured out to put pros first. We are the ones bringing direct value to your platform, so you need to work in our best interest first.
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

I do not understand the amount, in dollars, that Thumbtack charges me for each quote.

Thank you.

Dr. Jane Watkins

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

Honestly, I don't really think you want the answers you are asking for. 

The reason, you will edit and moderate what is written here to suit your own vision of what you want to hear.

I have been experimenting with the variables in the thumbtack universe and this is what my research yields.

Keep instamatch off, while having it on does put you in the prime position of being sent out first. it also opens you to scam artist, ghost phone calls that lead to non-working phone lines or fax machines, but a charge. The all too common interested but no reply customer and upwards of $150.00 per week in charges. Having it off for one month saved me $600.00 and I got to weed through all the jobs outside of my service area that I would have rejected anyway.

Before you tell me to adjust my preferences, I have!!!! More than once and you continue to send jobs well over two hours away.

You have finally put into print what you charge in the catering division, anywhere from 15.00 to 49.00. However, you do not actually have the jobs vetted into proper categories, many of the jobs that you call events are dinner parties, 20 heads and below, not an event. Party planners continue to abuse the pro's on here gathering quotes at our expense. Party host submit multiple queries, changing variables by as little as a name, day, china vs disposables. 

Like so many others on here, I have funneled my funds into self-generated and sustainable resources.

If you truly wanted to correct the problem you would change, period.

To substantiate my research I turned instamatch back on for one week, In that week I was charged approximately $50.00 dollars.

Two scam calls, one ghost... no jobs.

Wendell Hooper

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

I want a clear transparent price before I am charged.  Right now, all I see is the theoretical pricing that instant matching is going to be cheaper than direct quoting.  Is there a way for your team to let us know the exact price for when a customer contacts us?  In addition, I know your team is working on charging us only when the customer clicks "hired."

Highlighted
Best Answer

Pricing

Community Newcomer
Best Answer
If more then 3 professionals can send a quote I think the price for the qoute should go down it’s not fair that multiple professionals are having to pay the full amount when only 1 will get hired ! Thumbtack is taking advantage of this and making money off of the professionals even with out getting th job!! This is really inconvenient and puts a lot of pressure to get the job !
Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer

Currently I spend $250-$300 on thumbtack a month.

I have 52 5-star reviews.

I have told thumbtack many times the way to solve this is to have the client/customer looking for a pro to pay a nominal fee to weed out the bots, fakes, people who are not serious. I like the change where you only have to pay when the customer responds, however thumbtack has given them easy 1-click auto responses as an excuse to chage the professional. A one-click auto response doesn't mean a customer is really intersted.

When we are matched to a customer things have always gone smoothly and the customer is very pleased.

Also there needs to be better filters for the pros. The catering selection is terrible. For us just the food STARTS at $35pp when you add staff and equipment you are well above $125pp. 

Also there is no budget tool for the bartending services. You need to have a better way to seperate what the clients are really looking for.

Tyler

Highlighted
Best Answer

Community Regular
Best Answer
Why cant i pay only if i get the job. Why should i pay if the customer asks a question or if they ask a question and dont end up getting hired.
Best Answer

Community Newcomer
Best Answer

Since the change I have only received 3 or 4 opportunities to quote in my field. Most of the quotes are outside my area even though i reset the limits. Also I used to get 10 or more opportunities to quote  a month in my field.

Maybe a reformat is in order?