Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Thumbtack Employee vinamrata
Thumbtack Employee

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
0 Kudos
njroywitt
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
This still does not apply to how I price my services. You don't understand notary public services and fees and customers lack of understanding themselves as to what they truly need.
0 Kudos
Lrobe52993
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
I am a musician bidding on requests for performers at parties, weddings or other events. Under the previous pricing structure a bid cost 3 to 8 dollars. Although I never understood why some cost more. Now the cost of a bid is more than $30, and I still have no idea why. A job for a solo mucisian in my area only pays $250 on average so it makes zero financial sense to make a bid...just for a small chance at a job. That pricing structure would only work if the fee was charged to the winning bidder. Then I would be paying Thumbtack what I would pay a booking agent. Since the price change I have only made one bid and then I had to appeal to the potential client to Only respond if they wanted to hire me. Thumbtack used to be a good resource. There was a lot of competition for jobs, but is was worth making the bids. Now I see many jobs where NO pros are ever contacted. Why? Because pros are
not bidding due to the high fee. And pros get charged when a client makes any response? That's just wrong. I hope Thumbtack goes back to the previous price structure and I will use your service again. For now, you business model emakes no business sense for me. For musicians, The fee that Thumbtack charges should be a percentage of the total bid. 3 percent if you are charging all bidders. The winning bidder would be charged an additional 5 percent of their bid total. This will get pros bidding again in this line of work. Basing the fees on things we pros cannot see is frankly a shifty business practice.
mdeeno
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Paying for a lead is too much, considering not all inquiries are valid. Some are price shoppers that we end up paying for, even though we don’t win their business as they have decided to do it on their own. Clearly, there is lack of vendor protection in your platform. I would suggest that you charge your customers/leads a fee that they can use as a credit to the winning vendor. For example, a lead today costs $35, a customer should pay half of that. If they hired a pro (not just contacted), the pro pays for the other half. If they don’t hire any pro, you still get paid. This up-front cost will also prevent “fake requests” which will benefit your pros.
Athel
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I actually really like this new system. I works for the type of service I provide (photography). The previous model of buying a number of quotes to send is what initially kept me away from Thumbtack. This site has definitely helped my business but I wish that the cost of leads was a little more consistent. My first few leads were $10-15 and now each lead is $27 on my $250 service. Not terrible but it does tend to add up.

Overall I’m pretty satisfied with the service. I do think there should be a way to prevent customers from wasting our time/money though. Many times I’ve had people respond and just stop responding, wasting my money. That too adds up and that will definitely push me away from the service if if I’m spending anywhere close to what I’m making...
0 Kudos
Lrobe52993
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Buying quotes in advance as bad enough, but paying high fees for unsuccessful bids would put me out of business right quick. For me a $27 bid for a $250 service only makes sense for the winning bid. Even then the bid cost is high considering no service is being provided beyond the online platform.
KatMills
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

The last lead I opened had a price of $22. There is not one lead I have found that I can provide an actual quote for. I always have to contact and get additional information before I can make an actual quote for travel. So, once the potential customer responds to me, I am charged an outrageous amount to get the information to even provide an actual quote. I might would be willing to pay the high prices if I could provide an actual quote. Maybe there should be a "get additional information" option that wouldn't cost money until a real quote is provided. I have stopped using your service because of the pricing for the travel industry.

Highlighted
dben41
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Or at least offer a phone number + email

0 Kudos
Lrobe52993
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
I have found this to be the case as well. The problem with the current system is if they respond to you with a question or you solicit a response you will be charged. You should. It be charged for communicating with a perspective customer in order to provide an accurate bid.
0 Kudos
Karilyn
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
It used to be worth it. I rarely get any actual replies anymore! The cost has gone up substantially and the value is not there for a potential customer, that rarely comes to fruition anymore. I'd love you to take a couple of steps backward
0 Kudos