Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
ToDoListHMS
Level 5

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution

So, I have only been using Thumbtack for a few weeks, but I am already seeing the current pricing model will cost me $30 or more to get $50-$75 worth of projects. Not economical by any stretch of the means. Unfortunately, customers don't know what it is they are typically asking for when they post a job, and usually don't put enough information for you to make a quote based on the info given. You are now left with a choice which can result in a few outcomes:

1. You send a request for more information and the customer responds (you get charged now regardless): now you can either make a quote or not based on what it is the customer is really asking for, and maybe the customer will accept?

2. You send a quote which you will have to over price, because you don't want to get trapped in a job you can't do for the price you quote, once you see what it is the customer really was askign for.

3. You just ignore this post and move on to the next one because it is too much of a risk to gamble on getting charged $10+ dollars for a dead end. (Btw, after my initial experience, this is the route I have decided to take, 'Not enough info in the description, too much risk, 'PASS').

Also, I have run into an issue where I sent a quote at the same time as another Pro or two, and the customer responds with something other than No Thanks, (like, 'I found someone who can come earlier', or 'When can you be here?'), and I got charged. Also, I had an issue where a woman responded over a day later after the first person she hired decided they couldn't do it. Well, I had already booked other appointments through another service ( not Thumbtack) at that point, but Thumbtack charged me anyways. When I asked how to cancel a quote so this didn't happen, again. . .nope, no way to do it.

I'll be honest, I don't have a better solution to your pricing plan, all I know is that it currently isn't economical as a lead source, based on the time it takes to monitor the incoming leads, respond to them, get charged for the 3 you didn't win, and then only make $50-$75 for the one you did. I've actually decided to step away from Thumbtack as a pro for the most part, until I see some restructurring. I am looking forward to seeing how this discussion drives some change.

Highlighted
AEMovers
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
Yeah, let’s talk about how you charged me for a lead under a category for 60 dollars when I never even got a lead under that category.
I have half the mind to stop using your service because like MANY other people are saying this is just obscene pricing for nothing. I’m not liking your customer service response “oh we don’t know how much we charge you for this and that because” even they don’t get it.

I make too little money after jobs to justify using your services. Have cut down and will be stopping.
0 Kudos
whooper
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Correction,

2 leads last week $66.00, neither have responded.

Ghost....

That's my gas bill.

Wendell Hooper

0 Kudos
ExcaliburSH
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
I have been in business many years and several states. I have avoided these type of services and lived off referrals. My partner and I were sold on this due to the customer base we are looking for. I do appreciate that Thumbtack does the advertisement and caters to a new generation of customers. My customer base is exactly where Thumbtack is... But the varying fee is not a great system. And the categories dont always match. I havent been on very long and had to play (spend money) to learn what costs me what and what to avoid even if I know its something I can do because Im not paying $23 for a job that my competitors are giving away. One flat fee is much bette. Also limit the amount if bids.
I also agree with someone that mentioned, "when can we talk" is not a point of contact. Thats silly that I pay for a generic reply. I dont agree with customers pay a fee. Its should be our cost of doing business. But customers should be required to provide more details so that there is an attempt that its a serious bid. Customers are Googling everyone online to get the best deal so Thumbtack needs to also absorb their cost of doing business. I think its headed in the right direction but more adjustments need to be made if you want good paying Pros to stick around.
X-Factor
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi there, just my two cents from the perspective of the personal training world.  I'm not sure how Thurbtack works on the customer's end but I do find a lot of people that say they are interested and they never reply back to me when I message them.  So, I'd love to see a better system for judging whether or not customers are actually interested or just playing around.  Another discouraging thing for me is when we arrange a free trial session with a Thumbtack lead and then they don't show.  Both myself and my staff will have wasted time on a no-show and you can imagine how frustrating that is.  Personally I think a no-show fee to the customer would solve that issue almost immediately.  

0 Kudos
lesmok
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

I would think that for the high price per lead Thumbtack could at least screen out the phonies that disappear.  Get telephone numbers.  Get something!  It is not worth $36.00 to exchange messages on your system with a Bot.

JazzbandDave
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Pricing for unqualified is ridiculous. I closed my account. I have communicated with customer support several times with real numbers and you guys just don't get it. Looks like you are losing pro accounts.

0 Kudos
BrianPiano
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I don't find pricing to be confusing...in the work I do (piano lessons) I find I get a ton of "canned responses" (the auto responses customers can choose from like "Sounds good, what's next?" or "WHat's Your next availability?" I respond quickly and professionally to these requests and the vast majority of the time, I never hear back from customers. I have a good deal of availability and know how to finalize arrangments with interested customers. What I find is I pay a very high premium to talk with a lot of "customers" who are just checking things out on a whim and have no interest in really taking piano lessons. Each and every one of those I pay $13 for...4 of those a week add up to nearly $250 per month for zero interested customers.

I would love to see thumbtack change its pricing to a tier structure. I'm more than happy to pay for an interested customer but have quickly grown weary of quoting and being charged for those who ultimately have no interest. Will proably be relying on thumbtack less until I can receive more value for what I am paying. 

markjsmith
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I really don't use Thumbtack much anymore since the change to the pricing! You guys (Thumbtack) made more money off of me when it was cheaper! I don't even see listings for guitar lessons anymore anyway-the main instrument I teach! No clue why?

0 Kudos
Fer
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
I use thumbtack for quite a while and never had a problem but since you're change the pricings. The app turns to be useless the amount of money that you had to invest to get a customer makes no sense at all you get charged even when the customer don't give you the job. I think you guys very wrong. And that's why you guys are going to end very soon like many others application just like a lot of other applications which were great but get greedy.
0 Kudos