Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Sterrones7
Level 4

Re: Let's talk about our pricing

Solved! Jump to solution
I am no longer using or recommending Thumbtack to other professionals. This is because of the refund policy. A client responded to my quote with a simple "Are you available on this date?" I was automatically charged for this and was furious. After contacting Thumbtack, they agreed this wasn't a valid "response" because I stated that by me initially sending them a quote for services, it implied I was available to the client, or else why would I send them a quote. Anyways, I come to find out my 'refund' was in the form of store credit. This completely angered me because this feels like scam business practices. So 10, 50, 100 clients can respond to my quote and I'll automatically get charged $25-75 for each response and I have to pay REAL money right away, while Thumbtack just issues me store credit??? This store credit doesn't cost Thumbtack ANYTHING. The store credit simply just gets deducted when another customer contacts me. Meanwhile, my personal life and bills get affected because I have to pay for these fake/non legitimate contacts from customers. I've always said I'd happily pay Thumbtack 10% of my TOTAL quote if it meant I booked the client. I've noticed with Thumbtack I have to purposefully give client a low quote to book them, then try to upsell them later. So for a "$400 wedding" they got quoted and I spent $20-40 for the contact, later I end up upselling them to $800-900. But originally would have gladly paid Thumbtack $90 if it meant I booked the gig. This automatic charging for responses when Thumbtack doesn't know if they're legitimate or not is a scam to me so I no longer use their services. Maybe clients can book they're deposits through Thumbtack with their chosen professional, and Thumbtack can charge a fee and get paid both ways by customer and professional. I'm sure many professionals would agree and be more active in quoting knowing we only pay when client is booked and paid their nonrefundable deposit. When I did use Thumbtack I was VERY selective on what I quoted. If I saw a client contacted 3+ pros already I would dismiss it because it looked like they were giving 'fake responses' i.e. "Are you available?" and I didn't want to deal with the charges/"Refund." Ideally, Thumbtack would encourage all professionals to contact their customers. Each "contact" costs my business a lot of money because it's my only income right now. Even though I feel like I would be the best for a client, I don't contact some because of Thumbtacks refund policy.
0 Kudos
Michael13
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
If the bringing down the prices are an issue, at least don't charge us with customers that contact us but don't hire us , In the real world we don't pay for customers contacting our business we only pay when we are hired.
0 Kudos
chriseshar
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Lots has been said about this, and I think the industry a person is in may impact their opinion of how it should work. I think the problem is not only the pricing, but in all honesty, the customers. Reaching out to 7 people, and hiring not one, is a sign of a failed customer screening process. While I have managed to figure out how to make money on Thumbtack (hint: Turn off Instant Match so you can filter out the abundant crap), I think customers should at least be required to place a deposit down.

For instance, the customer puts down a deposit of a mere $3-$5 to get information. When a professional verifies a hire, they get it back. If not, they don't get it back. Customers should bear some of the costs of their insincerity. My estimate is that, of say 2000 jobs bid on, 60 result in a hire. Totally made up stat, but you do get an alert when another pro is hired, and those alerts are pretty rare.

It is not fair, or sustainable, for 7-10 pros to spend money and not one get hired. This happens like 97% of the time, and will eventually drive away the pros. If a minimal investment is required, you can keep some revenue and maybe minimize the number of ticked off pros.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Solved! Jump to solution

THUMBTACK USERS - I have tried very hard to get behind thumbtack and have been a user since 2016. I am a wedding photographer and used Thumbtack heavily go get clients and leads to start my business. When I started out it was a credit system. I didn't like the system but it got me infront of lots of clients.  Then they switched to a monitary value at about $15 a lead and for no reason at all except in my opinion greed they shot their prices up to $40 - $50 a lead with no added benifit. I use Wedding Wire now and get way more serious leads and only pay about $100 a month and don't pay for leads or responses. The clients on thumbtack in my opion are window shoppers. They are not serious buyers and what I have found is that they are only out for the lowest price. So for thumbtack to charge a ridiculous amount for cheap leads made me stop responding or even sending out leads. 

THUMBTACK - If you don't cut your prices and work with us vendors in a more equal manner I feel they you are doomed to fail. You are only here because of us. We pay your bills and as you can see we are not happy... so shape up or ship out. One; you hide your prices under a view details tab and I think that is BS be upfront and stand behind your decision.  Two; why arent we vendors on a membeship plan and get to respond to as many customers as we can so that both our customers and ourselves can make educated decisions and not feel forced to say yes to our customers or not respond at all and look unprofessional because we don't want to lose $50 on a dead lead. The ball is your court Thumbtack, either you clean house and give us a system that is consistent and affordable or I can guarantee you will lose at least me a loyal user. 

PS. I have met your Pro User requirments two years running and you still refuse to give me the badge. I have 5 stars 15 reviews and a solid storefront. I think it is very much like dangling a carrot in front of the donkey but you should know this ass kicks.

Rhcservices
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
Prices keep going up. It seems the more I bid on a job type, that type goes up more.
Spending way too much monthly for a lead service.
0 Kudos
Tmartjr
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

I think there should be a way to pass some cost to a customer. I find it at times it is not really fair for a customer to ask questions to 5 companies and all 5 companies are charged just to answer questions. May there should be verbiage to inform the customer to only contact a business if they are serious about booking with them. It is becoming costly for each lead. 

Solved! Jump to solution
My guys are over 100k performers on GigMaster so I am not new to this world but there is no rhyme nor reason to your billing. You don’t appear to consider the economics of areas. I got charged over 40 dollars because the woman told me NO. Why not just take a set percentage of hires? For our band, I seriously doubt we will continue using this service. Have only played three gigs from here and many of the same listings show up on other services and get them from there. And at a much cheaper cost. Better business deems we book on our own, GigMaster, GigSalad and other choices rather than here. I had already removed the app from my phone when this came across my email. Figured replying was the least I could do.
0 Kudos
Djgeo
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree take % when you are hired for any event like a booking fee of 5% from your total price of the Gig.

0 Kudos
Tashonna
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution
I think if it's a Fee it should be One Only for Processing only Facebook & Google etc they dont charge for their Fees and Advertising so why should we pay a Percentage eveytime when you making bare minimum for the work just not fair
Simon
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I wouldn't have an issue with your pricing, but it's so often not commensurate with the clients budget.  As an illustrator/animator, the biggest problem I face on Thumbtack is unqualified clients who have NO understanding of what a professional budget is.  As the clients almost never mention their budget in their requests, as you don't require it, or EVEN a discription past "Illustration" I can spend $15-$30 to meet a client who thinks $100 to illustarate and entire children's book or create a quality animation is reasonable. 

I can't give them an estimate without a job discription, so it costs me a LOT when they reply and reveal themselves to be unqualified and without a reasonable budget.

I like your service, but you require so little from the clients that I feel like I'm bidding blind and now that costs me BIG.